Did Obama deserve his Nobel Peace prize?

Did Obama deserve his Nobel Peace award?

• yes

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • no

Votes: 110 91.7%

• Total voters
I'm against nuclear weaponry, so why don't I win the nobel peace prize?

Let's face it. He won the award because he's good at making speeches. Yes I was moved by his speech against nuclear proliferation. But in the greater scheme of things, it didn't do a damn thing.

WHAT!!!! Obama is the worst speech maker ever (Over reacting):rolleyes:

if you think he's a good speech maker you should check out Queen Elizabeth I, Adolf hitler, Mark Twain, Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill, King Edward VIII Obama is at best a OK speech maker

Oooh, Mark Twain - a Peace Prize recipient. I like that. :yup:

Obama getting the prize took away all that was left of seriousness in this prize...

I was like blistering barnacles! Are they serious?!?!

hehe

I don't even think of it as an honorable award any more. Its just something they give people for know reason except that they are kind of important. Obama should have actually done something to get his award and the Nobel committee shouldn't pass them out like candy.

I don't even think of it as an honorable award any more. Its just something they give people for know reason except that they are kind of important. Obama should have actually done something to get his award and the Nobel committee shouldn't pass them out like candy.

Awarding it to a President based (I assume) on the hope that he'd be more politically amenable to multilateral thought isn't really passing them out like candy. I do, however, agree that he didn't really deserve it.
Alternatively, maybe it was meant more for the American people as a whole. Rejecting the warmongering of the their past eight years and electing a guy who had at least campaigned on the premise of shutting down Gitmo and other such policies.

OK, then I guess Thunderfall will promise to bring about forum-wide peace and given that it'd be peace for a few hundred thousand registered users across several dozen countries then he's bound to get a Nobel Peace Prize, right?

Did Obama deserve his Nobel Peace prize?.

No, he clearly didn't. He got it for (technically) not being George W. Bush. He is almost certainly a sociopath.

Of all the campaign promises that he made, I hoped that "escalating the war in Afghanistan" was the one he'd break. Instead he broke the ones about Gitmo, rendition, & some Patriot Act stuff, three of the ones I really hoped he keep. He keeps all the promises I hoped were just election rhetoric & breaks all the ones I actually cared about.

I'm not for total isolationism, but I'm totally for getting out of other countries. Trade with them, sure - have 50,000 troops in Iraq, much less Germany or Japan? No.

My dilemma is that the Republican candidates, to a man (minus Ron Paul who has no chance) are all in favor of the stuff I hate (war stuff, torture stuff), so an Obama 2nd term is still the best chance to see the stuff I want to happen actually happen (peace stuff, no US empire, no world-police).

Back-on-topic, though, I think Libya is more-or-less OK - they asked for our help, UN sanctioned, no combat troops on the ground. If that was the only issue, I'd say he could keep his Nobel Prize.

an Obama 2nd term is still the best chance to see the stuff I want to happen actually happen (peace stuff, no US empire, no world-police).

I hate to break it to you, but you appear to be engaged in wishful thinking - a second term would most likely signal to Team Obama that they did the 'right' thing in breaking all their promises (such as the ones you mentioned) and foresaking progressives, and they might be encouraged to go even further to the right/'center' next time around.

He didn't deserve it when they gave it to him and if anything he is more undeserving of it now than then.

Personally I felt they gave him the nobel peace prize just for being the first african American president and being different than bush (at first glance).

Thats very blunt, but do you think any of the other political candidates would have gotten it had they been elected? Either way Obama did nothing when he got that prize.

Top Bottom