1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Obama deserve his Nobel Peace prize?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Disgustipated, Jul 30, 2011.

?

Did Obama deserve his Nobel Peace award?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. no

110 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

WHAT!!!! Obama is the worst speech maker ever (Over reacting):rolleyes:

if you think he's a good speech maker you should check out Queen Elizabeth I, Adolf hitler, Mark Twain, Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill, King Edward VIII Obama is at best a OK speech maker

2. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

Oooh, Mark Twain - a Peace Prize recipient. I like that. :yup:

3. DrakeD

DrakeD Chieftain

Like 40 years ago when Kissinger got it. :sad:

4. Rulle_Kebab

Rulle_Kebab Warlord

Obama getting the prize took away all that was left of seriousness in this prize...

I was like blistering barnacles! Are they serious?!?!

hehe

5. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

I don't even think of it as an honorable award any more. Its just something they give people for know reason except that they are kind of important. Obama should have actually done something to get his award and the Nobel committee shouldn't pass them out like candy.

6. Eat_Up_Martha

Eat_Up_Martha Prince

Awarding it to a President based (I assume) on the hope that he'd be more politically amenable to multilateral thought isn't really passing them out like candy. I do, however, agree that he didn't really deserve it.
    Alternatively, maybe it was meant more for the American people as a whole. Rejecting the warmongering of the their past eight years and electing a guy who had at least campaigned on the premise of shutting down Gitmo and other such policies.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

OK, then I guess Thunderfall will promise to bring about forum-wide peace and given that it'd be peace for a few hundred thousand registered users across several dozen countries then he's bound to get a Nobel Peace Prize, right?

8. Gatsby

Gatsby King

No, he clearly didn't. He got it for (technically) not being George W. Bush. He is almost certainly a sociopath.

9. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

Of all the campaign promises that he made, I hoped that "escalating the war in Afghanistan" was the one he'd break. Instead he broke the ones about Gitmo, rendition, & some Patriot Act stuff, three of the ones I really hoped he keep. He keeps all the promises I hoped were just election rhetoric & breaks all the ones I actually cared about.

I'm not for total isolationism, but I'm totally for getting out of other countries. Trade with them, sure - have 50,000 troops in Iraq, much less Germany or Japan? No.

My dilemma is that the Republican candidates, to a man (minus Ron Paul who has no chance) are all in favor of the stuff I hate (war stuff, torture stuff), so an Obama 2nd term is still the best chance to see the stuff I want to happen actually happen (peace stuff, no US empire, no world-police).

Back-on-topic, though, I think Libya is more-or-less OK - they asked for our help, UN sanctioned, no combat troops on the ground. If that was the only issue, I'd say he could keep his Nobel Prize.

10. Gatsby

Gatsby King

I hate to break it to you, but you appear to be engaged in wishful thinking - a second term would most likely signal to Team Obama that they did the 'right' thing in breaking all their promises (such as the ones you mentioned) and foresaking progressives, and they might be encouraged to go even further to the right/'center' next time around.

11. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

He didn't deserve it when they gave it to him and if anything he is more undeserving of it now than then.

Personally I felt they gave him the nobel peace prize just for being the first african American president and being different than bush (at first glance).

Thats very blunt, but do you think any of the other political candidates would have gotten it had they been elected? Either way Obama did nothing when he got that prize.