1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Raistlin Cast “Summon Jerks”?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BvBPL, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I'm not that worried about negative racial modifiers going away. An elf getting +2 dex though is also a no no.

If female space marines sell them more product by all means go ahead do it.

In D&D they're also complain ing about Orcs and the evil humanoids being all mean an unfair though.

Looks at Warhammer Orks and essentially race wars.

2. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

You're more than welcome, of course, to discuss it elsewhere. My frustration was principally born from the response on a social medium site, not so much about the literature itself.

It certainly wasn't plagiarized, but it did take some inspiration from Herbert. A vast empire of humanity, massive spaceships that travel the void, and quasi-mystical/spiritual/religious groups tied intimately to governance all come up in 40k. But so does a caricature of Baroness Thatcher as an orc.

El_Machinae likes this.
  3. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I don't know if you paint, but Dark Sword has some fly minis based on Elmore's work: https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/product-category/miniature-lines/elmore-masterworks/

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

5. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

Did anyone see my Raistlin Michael Jackson comparison in AE?

6. Valka D'Ur

That's one reason I wish this whole thread had been started in A&E. There's already plenty of Dragonlance discussion down there.

Yes, I saw it and participated, if memory serves.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

We should have this thread moved to A&E, honestly.

/subscription post

8. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

I don't think this thread is about the specific Art or Entertainment per se (I always wanted to use that idiom!) which is what it seems people are getting distracted by. It's about interjecting "modern values" into established fantasy literature races, like Dragonlance, so IMO, fwiw, it belongs here.

Like if the Powers That Be are (I have no idea) changing Gully Dwarves to be "not all stupid" just because of Woke that's a valid point of discussion, or Orcs shouldn't be Evil, or Drow shouldn't be matriarchal, or "what about the *good* Green Dragons & the pacifist Beholders?". No real opinion one way or the other I guess, but just about where the discussion belongs, which seems more appropriate here.

All of which I'd be interested in reading about.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. Valka D'Ur

Bupu was already "not stupid"... back in the '80s. And I agree that this belongs in A&E, since we're talking about literary characters (yes, RPG stories are real literature).

10. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

I mean, Bupu was a bit "slow". All Gully Dwarves were. That was kinda the point. Raistlin liked her regardless, while the other characters mostly disparaged her & looked down on her whole race, which in the story was used as a way to humanize Raistlin. To get the reader to empathize with him & not just view him as a villain. So if Bupu had been just a random "normal" person, the literary device would've failed & served no purpose, IMO. That's my take on analyzing her "role" in the story, I guess.

But, regardless of all that, I feel like this thread is about interjecting modern sensibilities into literature, not *about* analyzing the actual literature, Like, ferinstance, could Bupu even *be* a character in modern literature? Could those books have even been written now? It's a valid question I think.

11. Valka D'Ur

Since Dragonlance material is still being published and there is Dragonlance fanfiction on various sites, the short answer is 'yes.'

I don't see why discussing modern sensibilities in literature isn't a valid reason to put this thread in A&E along with the rest of the Dragonlance discussion. Is there anyone present here who is not already a reader or player of Dragonlance?