1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Did The Maya Know What I was Up to????

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by axehaxe, Aug 2, 2005.

1. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

I am currently playing on monarch difficulty lvl as the celts and right now and although I have the largest land area, im behind in tech, military, and about to become behind in land area compared to the maya cuz they are devouring the ottomans on a huge continent across water. The Ottomans declared war on the maya a long time ago when they had half the land. As soon as I saw them losing their land very noticeably to the Maya, I decided it would be a good idea to slow down the Maya without getting them to declare war on me (last thing I need because I just got cavalry when they started having them like 30 turns ago) So I gave practically all my techs, my salt, iron, and horses to the ottomans so they could put up half a decent fight. This didn't help much! So the next thing I did was to load a settler and a musketman on one of my caravels and landed on the continent. With that I built a city in a space between two mayan cities that was still uncultured and set production to make explorers. I hurried the explorer the next turn and used him to pillage some roads connecting freshly conquered ottoman cities that were NOT inside cultural borders so that the mayan cavalry would waste turns on unconnected land. When I did this the maya mood went from polite to cautious!! Did he know what I was doing????? He declared on me the next turn when I refused to give him dyes - now what! I am like 5 techs behind him researching physics trying VERY hard to get communism in the industrial age. He had riflemen for a while...

2. popewiz

popewiz Chieftain

Were you trading anything with the Mayans at the time?

3. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

no, my trades with the maya expired a while ago cuz i stoped paying them for techs when I noticed they were getting too strong. I know that they'd be mad if i had been trading them something and i destroyed my own road that was on the thing i was giving them but question is would they still be mad if lets say the road i cut had cut one of the conquered cities off from one of their own goodies?

4. josephstalin

josephstalin Kremlin Highlander

Did that pillaged road was a trade route between Maya and other civilization(not ottomans)? And in that situations you have to step up in conflict yourself - rare civs will use your given resourses productive.

5. Naval Power

Naval Power Sailing the Seven Seas

Well fortunatly for you, you will see no Mayan D-Day. You probably aren't going to be conquered because of the water between you and your AI opponent.

6. Twonky

Twonky Chieftain

I think you are right with the Maya beeing mad because you disconnected mayan towns from their own trade network. I have observed this behavior in a game of mine too.

7. garyg

garyg Beer Snob

He declared on me the next turn when I refused to give him dyes - now what!.[/QUOTE]

Well you already have a beachhead on their continent.
    Rush walls there. Start shipping over all the canons and cavs you can.
    After walls work on a harbor, barracks, and then temple to help against flips. Your religious so the temple should be cheap.
    You have to face them sometime. Start building up in that city.
    Hopefully the Ottomans will occupy them long enough for you to have built up enough of a force. All your production should be focused on supplying troops to this city. Mobilization might not be a bad idea right now.
    Think of this as an opportunity. Build lots of artilery in towns without barracks. Good luck.

8. henry k c

henry k c Chieftain

Is the AI getting smarter?? I think you should keep usiny your explorer to pillage. If the ottomans are willing, sign an ROP and aid them directly.

9. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Chieftain

I agree with gary, think of it as an opportunity. Some of my finest times in Civ have come as the result of having a fort on enemy territory. Remember, the point is to have fun, or die trying.

10. Hassenpfeffer

Hassenpfeffer Cobalt Thorium G Device!

I have always found that (even though it might not help you very much now) early expansion is key, followed by a large period of tech emphasis. This should put you in a sufficiently tech dominant position to then crush your enemies like the bugs they are.