1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Did the Rollout ruin your enthusiasm?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by OnceAKing, Oct 13, 2016.

1. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Here we are, about a week from release. I've been waiting for this moment since late 2014. From the moment of reveal until now we've had fervent discussion on:

Graphic design and appeal
    Pre-ordering debate/Monty and the Aztecs
    Early Leadership reveal
    Early understanding of multiple leaders coming
    Early reveal of all 18 initial Civs
    Healthy discussion on the validity of certain civs and leaders
    Heavy discussion on the perception of Eurocentrism.

I've heavily participated in alot of these debates and through it all I've become quite a bit deflated by the release. Had you asked me in late 2014 would I pre-order, I would not have hesitated. As 2016 rolled in, memories of other botched release days and the morality of pre-order culture soured me to it. But subconsciously I knew I'd probably still be a day 1 buyer.

However, the early reveal of all the leaders and the civs really took the wind out of my sails. And I was highly disappointed in the end result for a variety of reasons. Now I've veered towards the stance of waiting to buy based on first patch/ first major mods/ first significant DLC or maybe even as late as First expansion.

The question I pose to you all, is perhaps had the leader/civ rollout not been spoiled maybe there'd be FAR more excitement. Had the multiple leader option reveal had not been so telegraphed maybe there'd be more enthusiasm.

But perhaps I'm in the minority and perhaps my perspective is skewed by being a Civfanatic.

What do you guys think? How did the roll out affect your enthusiasm and when do you plan to purchase?

UncleJJ likes this.
  2. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

For me personally, not really. I'm kind of happy that I didn't get any last-minute disappointments about certain civs being left out. Having known it for months has given me time to cope with that fact.

3. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

It's why I decided not to gorge on information; didn't watch LPs, strategize around civilizations or leaders, read Great People's or NW's unique effects, try to learn the mechanics (amenities, appeal, etc.).

Learned just enough to keep me interested, but not enough to lose my sense of wonderment and the pleasure of discovery.

paulmclem likes this.
  4. ELRACj

ELRACj Warlord

I have been pouring pointless hours since this game has been announced just reading articles (mostly on this forum). I have to be honest that knowing the leaders before hand made the 1st Look Videos less exciting. That didn't change the fact that at 9:00 a.m. everyday, I checked my phone in class to see if a 1st Look Video was published. When people got the early access codes, I finished a few series but now I am already feeling my Civ VI desire satisfied. I am a little burned out to the point to where I do not care if I have to wait a few extra days/weeks for the game to be released on MAC.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

For the most part I have been able to reserve my expectations so that I would not be automatically disappointed by the game failing to be exactly as I envisioned. I try to see the value in what is being offered rather than comparing it to standards harbored in wishes.

I know it will have flaws and I accept that. Some of them will be fixed over time while others will persist indefinitely.

I do have a gnawing fear that the game just won't grab me like past iterations have. I am not the same person I was 6 years ago.

I plan to buy the game regardless.

6. Haggbart

Haggbart King

Can't say I feel saturated yet. However I will try to not watch anymore videos now or play any old civ-games the next week. It's a thin line between maintaining excitement and getting fed up, but I hope I manage to land on the right side of the line :p

7. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I avoided most of the discussion on this forum since the announcement, only starting to check out CivVI development around the time TotalBiscuit released a first impressions video. Even then, I haven't really watched any of the supplement videos for the game because I know I'll get burned out on the game before it is even released if I do that.

8. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

I think they've planned it all very carefully. In fact, it's been done quite brilliantly. The image of all the leaders was a genius way for them to get the Civilization fanatics ready for what was to come and even avoid some disappointment when certain leaders weren't in. I know I would have probably thrown my computer out the window when I learned that Napoleon had been replaced with something like Catherine de Medici hadn't I been prepared in this subtle way. LOL

They also gave the game early to some of the big YouTubers. On opening night, I know exactly what I'm booting up and I'm going to be prepared and ready for it. There won't be any disappointment at anything in the game from my side, because I've been pre-conditioned into what to expect. I'll be a happy customer and maybe even write a positive review. They've done this in a very intelligent, well-thought out way!

nzcamel likes this.
  9. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

If something encourages you to wait until the game is made better, then win-win. Unless you are keen to be one of those posting in this forum 3 years from now having not played it since release, begging everyone to convince you its worth trying after the latest patch, like some sad little lost soul… Picking up the game a year from now is probably the best way to meet it. I started V in 2012 and have a lot of positive memories of my very first months of playing - better that than memories of hours spent complaining here.

But if you want to hand out blame for losing enthusiasm, all these cynical or incompetent let's plays are the worse devil, but I still wonder why firaxis didn't leave a quarter or so of civ reveals for the release day.

Enthusiasm is for what is not yet seen and not yet done, and in a year we'll have not only an improved game but new things in it to discover. Win win

fay902 likes this.
  10. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Nah, I quite enjoyed the leader portrait leak and the fun of figuring it all out. Waiting a week between every First Look was a lot less fun. My hype remains intact (I haven't gorged myself on YouTube Let's Plays, but I just watched today's Firaxis one), I've just preordered, and I can't wait until next Friday!

nzcamel likes this.
  11. Slayan

Slayan Warlord

After the reviles I'm wanting to play it more. I had to stop watching the play through because I was yelling at the monitor because of the stupid things they were doing. So I cant wit till I can make the stupid mistakes :)

Ondolindë likes this.
  12. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

I've been on the hype train since the game was announced, and the hype only grows the closer we get to release. Next week is going to be slooooow and I swear Amazon better not screw up my collector's edition pre-order. :mad:

JDexter likes this.
  13. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Keeping up with the game "facts" is somewhat important so you don't miss out on some game mechanics when you finally do get the game (the face palming is really not worth it if you miss out on some important stuff). So stay in touch, but remember that speculation and opinions are not "facts".

I'm still quite happy so far, and preordered a month or two ago.

14. npburg

npburg Chieftain

Nope, the more I see, the more I want to play the game.

Xyriach likes this.
  15. pochesun

pochesun Chieftain

The excitement for me has not dwindled a tiny bit. Somehow i managed to refrain from watching too much preview videos so i am full of enthusiasm. Stockpiled a month's supply of food, water and clean sheets and currently making the last preparations (writing the Will, just in case, you know) since the world will lose me for several weeks for sure.

16. Caracal

Caracal Chieftain

Actually, yes (sort of ...) I watched a YouTube play-through. The AI was really lame an there were a few bugs and some late game crashes. I will most likely wait before buying it. The lame AI may be because the only difficulty is Prince. I will still be getting it, I've gotten years of play out of C5 I expect no less for C6. Beats watching TV by a mile :)

17. cakes

cakes Prince

sometimes i can't wait to play it and sometimes i think i will be disappointed. still pre-ordered

18. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

I was pretty certain I would purchase the game anyway. I even bought the BE expansion. Played that a grand total of one time.
    Even if it's bad, I just have to get it, to see for myself how spectacularly they failed. There's not many games where I feel this way, but Civilization is one.

Looking at the end result, I am quite disappointed with some aspects of Civ VI. I will most likely still spend hundreds of hours with this new game though. I simply hope they improve upon it in the future.

Fede1893 likes this.
  19. ThomasClark

ThomasClark Warlord

I don't think I'll be disappointed unless the game is easily solvable or hampered by miserable experiences (multiplayer games dropping at the top of the list, AI not able to capture cities, suiciding units, not ganging up on a winning player...) I was annoyed in roll-out by the lack of straight-forward details about technical abilities - will it support 4K, HDR, 6-core processors. I still think the flashing "pow" combat animations are stupid, but whatever, there are lots of little graphical details that I like.

Overall I still think the design is full of interesting decisions and asymmetry and look forward to getting knocked around in MP. Everyone has a plan until 20 Saka Horse Archers show up on your border.

Caracal likes this.
  20. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

I'm actually pretty excited myself. The new leaders would not have been my first choice but that's really secondary for me. What has me excited is the new gameplay with districts and government management. I've been constantly comparing this to Civ5 and the gameplay appears to be major improvement. I'm also eager to start modding.

JDexter likes this.