1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Did the Scythians really recruit warrioresses?

Discussion in 'Total War' started by sendos, Jun 4, 2011.

1. sendos

sendos Immortal

If you play the Scythians in RTW, you will notice that you are able to train two warrioress units, which are both cavalry units. The requirement to recruit them is a sacred grove to a goddess (forget her name). In the units' details, it says that the Scythians had a custom of recruiting both men and women for war.

I have read Herodotus last year, which mentions some descriptions of the Scythians when Darius invades Scythia (and fails), but there were no references to Scythian female warriors.

The reason why I posted this here is because the History Section of Civfantics seems more for actual historic events and that this question is based around a game, not a historical reference.

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

This thread is the first google result for "scythian warrioresses". Judging from the wikipedia article its possible they did. However, thats wikipedia :p

3. flyingchicken

flyingchicken 99 117 110 116 115

Did the Romans use companies of trained war dogs?

4. ArguCa

ArguCa Chieftain

Sarmatians did and I think Scythians did too

5. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Chieftain

There's a single known grave of a Scythian woman thought to be a warrior, and this is probably the best-known example of Scythian archaeology in popular culture. So while they probably didn't use female cavalry to any degree, it makes some sense for the game to use that as its basis for a Scythian unit. If people recognised the Scythians at all, that would be what springs to mind as making them distinct from, say, the Huns.

Then again, there were no such things as battlefield ninja, warrior nuns or bulletproof samurai in feudal Japan either... Total War departs from realism rather more than I'd like.

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

In one of the interviews with CA for Rome 2 they admitted they made up several of those units based on pretty sketchy "evidence" because it seemed like something that was possible for that faction and thought it would be cool. Like the Iberian Bull Warriors. They also "promised" they wouldn't be doing that in Rome 2.

7. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Chieftain

I haven't played much of Rome - Iberian Bull Warriors? And I almost gave up on Shogun 2 after Warrior Nuns, geisha assassins, battlefield ninja and Bulletproof Samurai...

To some extent there may be an excuse with Rome - most cultures of that period aren't particularly well-known (virtually nothing is known about the Scythians) so there has to be some extrapolation, particularly with player demand for variety in unit types and unique units for each faction. But it crosses a line that really breaks immersion when it gets into fantasy stuff.

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Roman war dogs are totally believable. 1000 dog armies----I don't think so.

9. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Don't forget the Britannian head-hurlers or the Germanic wailing axe-women

10. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

according to the greeks schytian women did some times go to war.