Did they make use of STEM?

hclass

Prince
Hi,

I have not bought Civ5 yet.
I see lot of complaints, some of which can be resolved quite easily and quickly.

My question is, did Firaxis deliver fix through STEM prompt enough?

I have two other games with STEM (Civ5 could potentially be my thrid game on STEM), they deliver patch after patch, I mean quite often and prompt. They don't wait till everything reported are fixed then only deliver them to customers. Is Firaxis doing the same? ... I suppose that is one among the major advantages of buying and playing games with STEM.

Has nothing to do with Steam.
If devs patch small/often or less often/big is how they go about it as devs. Btw they don't. We will have big patch in some weeks.
Distribution of patches wasnt a problem before "gaming platforms", what now a "gaming platform" is supposed to be.

I like the calculator that comes with windows.
Should I expect to need a number platform to be allowed to display numbers on my screen? Maybe hardcoded in next windows, available with addon license.

Btw, I think I just swallowed a flamebait. I am a shark.

Has nothing to do with Steam.
If devs patch small/often or less often/big is how they go about it as devs. Btw they don't. We will have big patch in some weeks.
Distribution of patches wasnt a problem before "gaming platforms", what now a "gaming platform" is supposed to be.

I like the calculator that comes with windows.
Should I expect to need a number platform to be allowed to display numbers on my screen? Maybe hardcoded in next windows, available with addon license.

Btw, I think I just swallowed a flamebait. I am a shark.

I don't quite understand your language.
But I do understand you mean they only want to deliver a BIG patch to cater for everything on their list. So you haven't receive any patch yet right?

I don't care about how you feel about Firaxis's decision on how to deliver fixes nor do I care about why they decided so.

I just find them stupid to not using STEM's auto-update feature!

they are using it, there have been three or four mini patches so far.

making changes to the game or fixing bugs takes time to implement, and you have to test it thoroughly to make sure you aren't breaking something else in the process. Since they have so many things to fix, its probably just easier for them to put it all together in one patch, make sure it all works together without causing new problems, and push it out together.

also, its STEAM.

When I installed the game, there was around about 25MB or so downloaded, which was the zero day patch. There has been at least one since then, around about 10MB IIRC.

I don't quite understand your language.
But I do understand you mean they only want to deliver a BIG patch to cater for everything on their list. So you haven't receive any patch yet right?

I don't care about how you feel about Firaxis's decision on how to deliver fixes nor do I care about why they decided so.

I just find them stupid to not using STEM's auto-update feature!

I'm saying that Steam has nothing to do with frequency or size of the patches, it is just a means of delivery. cIV delivered patches from ingame IIRC, arguably even smoother than having a different software that the game is dependant on as delivery system. This has also worked very well for alot of other games, some have had a separate update executable. But no, my feelings about Steam has nothing to do with this you are right about that.

I have recived the mini-patches like everyone else but as far as I am concerned those are hardly worth mentioning considering how many things about the game that needs attention IMO. But, as a thread in this forum mentions, some details of an upcoming patch has been released and it looks good. And it will be a big one.

Thus they choose to make big/not-so-frequent relevant patches. Good or bad, it's how the first one will come out. Probably the next one after that aswell since testing revisions take time. I'm guessing that small hotfixes for exploits and explicitly broken code will be delivered inbetween.

I'm saying that Steam has nothing to do with frequency or size of the patches, it is just a means of delivery. cIV delivered patches from ingame IIRC, arguably even smoother than having a different software that the game is dependant on as delivery system. This has also worked very well for alot of other games, some have had a separate update executable. But no, my feelings about Steam has nothing to do with this you are right about that.

in-game patchers may be smoother for the end-user, (though i don't think they are. you still had to push a button or two, steam just updates hands-off) but there is alot of backend hassle for the devs, steam makes the system easier for them as well since they have all the infrastructure in place.

Top Bottom