Did this really happen? HRE adding Germany

CarpeDiem

Warlord
i am playing a 11 civ map and i had one continent shared with England, i took England off the continent but during this HRE built a few cities on my continent....few years past and it was announced Bismark would be looking after the cities...however Bismark doesn't have an original city and now makes 12 civs?!!?!?!

i never knew this is possible?:king:

Scaramanga

Brickhead
They're called colonies. Grant independence to two or more cities on a different continent and voila!

Jormungandr

Chieftain
Yeah, sometimes colonies line up nicely like that. I got America as a colony once while playing as England, and the Romans got the Byzantines shortly after in the same game.

nemt

Chieftain
I got the Romans while playing as the Holy Romans.

and England got America

I don't think it's coincidental, I think there are "preferred" colonial leaders for each civ.

Mesix

The Allfather
I have yet to try out the colony feature. In a game awhile back I wanted to but culdn't figure out how. Then I read up on it and understand that you have to grant the cities independence in the domestic screen. Maybe I'll give it a try in a game soon.

Jimdigriz

Prince
i am playing a 11 civ map and i had one continent shared with England, i took England off the continent but during this HRE built a few cities on my continent....few years past and it was announced Bismark would be looking after the cities...however Bismark doesn't have an original city and now makes 12 civs?!!?!?!

i never knew this is possible?:king:

As the other posts said this is deliberate - In my current game HRE created three new vassals when I attacked them, first one was Bismark. Second was Ragnar.

jkp1187

Unindicted Co-Conspirator
If you're really curious, check out this file:

CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

It is located in the path: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Civilizations

The <DerivativeCiv> tag defines which civ will initially be "spawned" when a colony is created. (If NONE, it is random, and any colony after the second will also be random.)

JKWSN

Enlightened Despot
I still don't really get the point of creating colonies. My economy can normally handle the time span from Astronomy to Communism on the tech tree.

Is it possible to form a colony of cruddy 1 land-square cities?

nemt

Chieftain
I still don't really get the point of creating colonies. My economy can normally handle the time span from Astronomy to Communism on the tech tree.

I think they just need to be located on the same continent, it doesn't matter if they're contiguous. Your cruddy colony will probably end up dragging you into a war, though.

Scaramanga

Brickhead

You need at least two cities on a continent to form a colony I believe. After that, however, if there are any cities on one square land masses nearby you can choose to "liberate" them to the colony you just created.

Menzies

Menzies
I played a terra map once... Built up a massive empire over in the new world. I was getting sick of the paying for those cities and decided to screw communism and make then a colony so I could use environmentalism...

I founded the USA, and they somewhat were the worst load of crap... I gave birth to a ****** civ... If I were a Nazi I would have actually gone over there and killed the incompetent moron. Then after keeping an eye on them for about 35 turns I noticed that everyone had great relations with him. I check and... The bastard [born without parents being married] had been giving my techs away to the other losers in the game. Naturally I did go Nazi on his ass [donkey] and razed the new world. Then went on to win a culture victory with only one turn until I won the spacerace as the bloody Spanish were raping the south of my empire. The moral of the story being I am culturally superior, technologically superior... and superior to the world.

PS: The Spanish were about 2 turns from getting near one of my 3 culture cities. Bastards!!!

Top Bottom