Did we really need all that computer animation for Civ Leaders?

Davor

Prince
I finally got the demo to work. So now I see the animation when ever I meet a new civ. Wow I am uninpressed. All this work, time and money spent on this part of the game. Seeing it for the first time was ok. But seeing it over and over again, it's boring.

From all the hype about leader animation, I am disapointed with it. Speaking in their native language? No big deal. I think I was better of when I was having problems running the demo and it was just a picture and nothing else. No animation at all.

So that got me thinking. Did we really need all this animation for civ leaders? To me it just seems like a big waste on my hard drive. If this was eliminated, our files could have been so much smaller, so much faster downloads if you ever have to reinstall the game. Was it really nessissary to have all this animation?

If you do not like it, why do not you play some nice board game, like chess or risk?

You know, this is a computer game right? Why should we keep the grafics and animations minimized? That one of the advantages over board games. If you have a small harddisc, buy a new one or do not buy or play this game.

I realy hope that, such an attitude like yours never get big influence on game creators.
You never heart something about immersion?

There should be an option to turn it off.

It's fine that it's there. Just let people turn it off if they don't want it.

If you do not like it, why do not you play some nice board game, like chess or risk?

You know, this is a computer game right? Why should we keep the grafics and animations minimized? That one of the advantages over board games. If you have a small harddisc, buy a new one or do not buy or play this game.

I realy hope that, such an attitude like yours never get big influence on game creators.

Wow, just wow. Do you need help to wipe after going to the gathroom? Immersion? It sounds like you got no imagination. I find it funny how you say an attitude like mine dosn't infulence a game. Civ V is not aimed at hard core Civ fans but for general casual gamers. So who influenced Civ V?

All I asked was a question. All you did was attack me. Couldn't you have answered the question?

So after your "heart" how about answering the question and prove me wrong? I am opened minded, I can change my mind. But you are close minded with comments like what you made.

There should be an option to turn it off.

It's fine that it's there. Just let people turn it off if they don't want it.

There is an option to turn it off. I am thinking of doing that again to speed up the game a bit.

I just wish that at least the backgrounds would vary according to power, culture, population and era. Having different clothing for each era would have been too beautiful.
In Civ I the other leaders were accompanied by a different number of advisors according to their score at that moment. They also dressed differently depending not only on era but also on government form.

And remember CIV III's Renaissance Hiawahta?

I just wish that at least the backgrounds would vary according to power, culture, population and era. Having different clothing for each era would have been too beautiful.
In Civ I the other leaders were accompanied by a different number of advisors according to their score at that moment. They also dressed differently depending not only on era but also on government form.
Yep, that was simply awesome. I still hope that Firaxis will someday bring this feature back. Looks like we're going to have to be patient. I find the current leader animations fine too, though.

If this was eliminated, our files could have been so much smaller, so much faster downloads if you ever have to reinstall the game. Was it really nessissary to have all this animation?

Not really that much smaller... and let's be honest here, those of us who bought hard drives in the last five years are quite happy to sacrifice a few hundred megs for such prettiness :D

Not really that much smaller... and let's be honest here, those of us who bought hard drives in the last five years are quite happy to sacrifice a few hundred megs for such prettiness :D
That, plus downloading ~5,5 GB isn't a big deal either. Perhaps OP still uses a dial up connection? :lol:

There is an option to turn it off. I am thinking of doing that again to speed up the game a bit.

I thought there was no option.
I haven't played to demo so I'm taking other's word for it.

Just because the computer can do something doesn't mean it should.

Immersion nerds that go around dressing themselves as wizards and whatever are beyond me, but at least I recognize that they're part of the franchise. Please realize that striking a balance between high graphical content and low system requirements is an important aspect of game development.

More people buying a game you like is a good thing, not a bad thing. Future iterations of a series will have more money and time put into it the more successful the predecessors are.

Some people enjoy the animation and leader stuff.

I personally don't care for it that much but the leader screen is fast enough and the interface for diplo is good, IMO. You can cancel out immediately or start doing diplo while the leaders are babbling.

My biggest beef is that I would much prefer a notification icon that says "elizabeth wants to talk" that I have to respond to at my leisure during my turn instead of getting forcibly popped into the leader screen - ever.

Where is the option to turn on the animated leaders? Mine were all non-animated by default and I do not see anything in the game or video options.

I don't see the point in them. They're cool and all but I hope they didn't spend much of their budget on them. I liked the leader heads from Rev better.

I don't like that they speak native tongue, its just jarring.

The real problem is I have no reason to talk to them, except to trade resources when they're still too far away for me to kill. They don't share tech, they don't share maps, they will never be loyal friends and allies. They're competitors. Kill them all.

Top Bottom