1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Did you enjoy the leak?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Vandlys, Feb 11, 2019.

?

Would you rather know the Civs/leaders in advance through leak?

1. Yes, leak it everytime

50 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No, leave the element of surprise

123 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. I don't care

54 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

One thing I found this time around, was that I was way less excited to see the leader announcements. I loved seeing how they worked, but there was of course no surprise as who it was going to be. A lot of the fun of guessing, wondering, and hoping was taken out because of the leak.

What did you think of it?

nzcamel, Bosque and Aussie_Lurker like this.
  2. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Chieftain

I like surprises. But on the plus side we were spared the building tension as people with strong views on the inclusion of Byzantines, Portugal, etc. became steadily more anxious that their favourite civ was not going to be in the expansion. At least the leak meant that the frothing-at-the-mouth-with-rage threads were all over and done some months before the release. Stages of grief...

3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Warlord

Largely indifferent.
    Its more important how they are done than who they are.
    I was pleasantly surprised by Eleanor though.

Julia97 and PhoenicianGold like this.
  4. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Chieftain

The leak took out some suspense, but it really nipped the rabid "X civ will be in GS because Y reasons" notion. Everyone likes a good guessing game, but some times fans take it a out there or made it personal.

5. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Frankly, No

Plaidman, Aussie_Lurker and Stilgar08 like this.
  6. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Chieftain

Where is the "I don't care" option?

7. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Chieftain

This. It didn't bother me much. Though if it was an employee it wasn't a very classy thing to do.

8. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

The leak was exciting. And it did do away with the disappointment at not seeing X Civ which would rather have hurt my hype, as I knew not to expect Italy, Byzantium, etc. But on balance I would have rather not known.

I would have been totally blown away - in a good way - if I hadn't known about Eleanor before she was revealed. So that's kind of a shame. And now if there is a 3rd expansion, we probably already know 2/3s of the new Civs thanks to AssemblingTyphoon.

679x likes this.
  9. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

Nobody want to be spoiled way ahead of any official announcement.

jozef57 and Gagilence like this.
  10. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think in the case of GS, the leak was helpful to cope with the missing favorites somewhat better. In general, I would prefer surprises - even if that would have meant a big depression after the last GS civ reveal.

11. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

I've added it for your voting pleasure : P I didn't think of it, because if you don't care, why does it even matter to vote? : )

I wouldn't make such a statement if I were you. At least 3 people already proved your statement wrong.

12. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Chieftain

Thank you for amending the voting options. Any poll only makes sense if it allows the expression of a full range of attitudes, otherwise its results are representative of only extreme positions. "I do not care what civilizations are featured and how they are announced, I only care how the finished product plays" seems like a very reasonable approach.

nzcamel, Kjimmet, Vandlys and 2 others like this.
  13. gozon

gozon Chieftain

Maybe in the future there can be “leak-free” threads where people who don’t want to be spoiled can continue their guessing/speculation? I don’t mind leaks but I can see why people don’t want to be spoiled.

Atlas627 likes this.
  14. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Unfortunately while a good idea, it is simply not practical

nzcamel, Kmart_Elvis and Atlas627 like this.
  15. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Black Queen

Yes and i consider everyone who voted no a weak person who should work on self improvement :)

PhoenicianGold likes this.
  16. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

Leaks dont matter much to me since they tend to contain no details, in fact I find that they make speculation easier since they give us something more concrete to base on our guesses on, like what kind of leader abilities and unique units will there be.

The only time I care about leaks is when people try to tell the ending of a film or book.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    j51 and Meluhhan like this.
  17. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

I would have been better off without the leak. Just imagine the whoah effect with Eleanor or Maori without knowing beforehand. Suspense was very limited this time around. OTOH I agree with @blackcatatonic, that it helped to keep the haters and whiners at bay because "xyz" is in and "abc" is not.. . AT raised my hopes that indeed they will go for a 3rd XP, so that's on the plus side ..

18. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

Lol what? It's weak if you can withstand not knowing something and being able to take a surprise?

19. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I think the process of guessing would have been more enjoyable had there been no leak, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. It helped that there were so many curveballs in this expansion, so we could discuss the exciting choices and how they would fit into the game. If the leaked list had been 9 obvious civs and leaders I think it would have felt more of an anticlimax.

The way it worked out just meant we had an initial flurry of new info, rather than a drip feed. But there's been enough information to uncover over the past few weeks in terms of new units and mechanics that we haven't exactly been spoiled by the early leak. Certainly the disappointingly vague "sneak peeks" would have been a lot more frustrating (that's not a good thing) if we didn't have the leak to work from.

In any case, it matters little whether we like it or not—leakers gonna leak. Its up to Firaxis to plug its holes, but I don't think they have lost out either way. Any hype is good hype.

20. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

It reminded me of russian roulette, except the bullet was replaced with the leader you had selected for that week's reveal. I wasn't a big fan to be honest. Surprises are more fun.