1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you know aliens don't kill trade routes?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Lucius_, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I don't think this is new, but it's news to me. If you take no aggressive actions toward aliens, they do not auto kill your trade routes. Shoot an alien with a city and they suddenly start killing trade routes. My current game I had a trade route passing through aliens and ending turns in alien occupied tiles and nothing. I can confirm this at least with land aliens.

2. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

If you never ever ever attack them, not even with your city, not even by accident when moving into the fog of war, then yes, aliens will ignore trade routes and military units completely. They will still block your tiles, blockade your harbors (= no city connection) and - sometimes - eat other civilian units outside of your territory though.

3. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

Aliens that kill trade routes should be yellow. Is there a way to implement that?

4. mnf

mnf King

Yeah, and couple this with the fact that Ultrasonic Fences now don't guarantee safety anymore, I just go for Ultrasonic trade route protection and kill all aliens on sight. The EXP helps, too. Not to mention all the Alien artifacts I get from pillaging their nests. :D

5. DutchJob

DutchJob Prince

In my games too the bugs are completely safe until I get the Fence Quest. ;

6. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

Yeah, unfortunately, somethimes it's the aliens who initiate an attack if you come too close to a nest, especially an aquatic one. If this happens, all your trade routes are eaten instantly and you're screwed.

And about general aliens safety, they can be a fantastic source of early culture if you have enough of them around to justify an investment in culture per killed unit. +12 per unit is a huge bonus.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I keep the peace until my Explorers have thoroughly searched for expedition sites, then I declare war on the aliens and begin pillaging their nests.

8. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Hasn't happened to me once, and I've been extremely reckless since I learned that Aliens won't attack if you don't attack first, sometimes sending whole fleets through Alien Nest Territory.

Pretty sure the trigger was something different than just "being near an alien nest".

9. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Warlord

Given how powerful trade routes are, IMO its really important that aliens properly kill trade routes early on. Clearing aliens to protect trade routes should be an early game strategic goal. Doing literally nothing shouldn't be the best strategy.

10. CountAccountant

CountAccountant Warlord

I've lost two trade routes to unprovoked alien attacks away from alien nests. Once was to a seige worm, the other was on 'Frenzied Aliens'.

11. Miravlix

Miravlix King

FaceDesk...

Got the kill 10 aliens quest, when I went for the 3 range fence, that got upgraded to four due to a, i think, harmony quest line.

The game just isn't build for not killing aliens for the entire game, so it's the last game I try the 3 range fence quest choice.

In the early game, you can really have a city swamped by "friendly" aliens and colossals eating improvements, especially on maps with plenty of water, but the 3 range is pointless since your city won't reach that far, until you're strong enough to go on an alien killing spree.

Losing out on XP, Artifacts and bonus food/energy, even more with some virtues/diplo traits, make me unable to find any reason to play a game that doesn't involve some alien killing.

12. sugerdady87

sugerdady87 Warlord

The OP referring to rising tide. In that, they don't attack trade units if you've never attacked them prior. In Vanilla CivBE, however, they do.

13. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Feature or not, we now have a choice, to attack the alien, and with that, be able to fulfil some quests and plunder some alien nests or not to attack and have safe trade routes. Well safe until a Kraken or Siege worm decides to move into a space where you happen to be (they walk in mysterious ways) and then start to plunder some nests, unless you have hit the magical turn number and nests don't spawn artefacts of course.

Nah, no choice, the game isn't that difficult in the first place and I want my artefacts.

14. CountAccountant

CountAccountant Warlord

I was also referring to Rising Tide exclusively.