Did you know...

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
.. you can gift units to other players as long they are within the territory of the AI (gifting to Rome requires your unit to be within the a Roman tile)

Has that always been there? Or is that a new feature?

Yup, it was in vanilla.

Gifting to CSs gives a very small amount of influence the first few times. It's also entertaining if you're running away with the game as you can help a CS overthrow their enemy full-sized civs with unit gifts.

Gifting to full-sized civs is, uh, there as an option and little else. Good for team games I suppose. Maybe you could gift your UU and they could upgrade it to their own UU and retain both powers. I dunno.

Team games oh yes

Japanese Caroleans

Spoiler :

Since only Atilla the Hun seems to favor razing a strong civ AI would most likely puppet a weak civ making them even stronger.

In that situation I've gifted armies to the weak civ, works best if you have some tech advantage in the units gifted.

To be honest I didn't know there was anyone who didn't know :D It's been in every Civ game since... forever?

I took me ages to realise that the Purple tiles in the City Screen/Tile purchasing are in fact "The next Culture Tile expansion and not "Buy this tile, we recommend it".

You can always gift your old units to someone you plan on attacking next, if they don't upgrade them there is some nice easy exp for your units. ***Disclaimer : I have never done this, try it at your own risk. Could turn out really bad if they got money to mass upgrade.

I took me ages to realise that the Purple tiles in the City Screen/Tile purchasing are in fact "The next Culture Tile expansion and not "Buy this tile, we recommend it".

And there you were, constantly buying those tiles... :-D

You still have some figuring out to do. Those are actually the tiles that your city will next claim when left to do so automatically. Seriously, those are very intuitive things, I never had any problems finding them out :lol:

You still have some figuring out to do. Those are actually the tiles that your city will next claim when left to do so automatically. Seriously, those are very intuitive things, I never had any problems finding them out :lol:

Uhmm you mean to say you can decided which tiles to be claimed without buying them?? Because most of the time I find the cities border expansions could need a bit of guidence, since sometimes I would like a certain tile but the city picking something else. I thought in such cases you could only buy the tile, but if you can actually click on what tile the city should expand to at next border expansion that would be awesome !! :crazyeye:

It's also entertaining if you're running away with the game as you can help a CS overthrow their enemy full-sized civs with unit gifts.

I like to set up a CS to take over a neighboring CS/capital by gifting heavy units. They can't raze em :)

Uhmm you mean to say you can decided which tiles to be claimed without buying them?? Because most of the time I find the cities border expansions could need a bit of guidence, since sometimes I would like a certain tile but the city picking something else. I thought in such cases you could only buy the tile, but if you can actually click on what tile the city should expand to at next border expansion that would be awesome !! :crazyeye:
No, I mean the city indicates which is going to be the next tile it claims by highlighting it in purple. The cost of buying it is lower precisely because the city is already working towards acquiring that tile. You can't manually tell the city which tile to expand to though.

No, I mean the city indicates which is going to be the next tile it claims by highlighting it in purple. The cost of buying it is lower precisely because the city is already working towards acquiring that tile. You can't manually tell the city which tile to expand to though.

bahhh that's what I thought but was hoping you know something I missed !! To bad though, would be great if we could actually decide which tile city would expand to ourself ! :lol:

Did you know...I dug this up the other day, while adding in the Nieuport 17 mod as a UU for France.

Which was really cool to come across. This was in the Civ5ArtDefines_Expansion_Units.xml

Spoiler :
Code:
<!-- Civil War Scenario -->
  <!-- UNIT_CONFEDERATE_ARTILLERY_NAPOLEON ******************************************************* -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CONFEDERATE_ARTILLERY_NAPOLEON</Type>
    <Formation>TwoBigGuns</Formation>
    <DamageStates>1</DamageStates>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CONFEDERATE_ARTILLERY_NAPOLEON</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>2</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_CONFEDERATE_ARTILLERY_PARROTT ******************************************************* -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CONFEDERATE_ARTILLERY_PARROTT</Type>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CONFEDERATE_ARTILLERY_PARROTT</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>2</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_CONFEDERATE_IRONCLAD ************************************************ -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CONFEDERATE_IRONCLAD</Type>   
    <DamageStates>3</DamageStates>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CONFEDERATE_IRONCLAD</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>1</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_CONFEDERATE_CAVALRY_CARBINE ****************************************************** -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CONFEDERATE_CAVALRY_CARBINE</Type>
    <Formation>DefaultCavalry</Formation>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CONFEDERATE_CAVALRY_CARBINE</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>5</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_CONFEDERATE_CAVALRY_PISTOL ****************************************************** -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CONFEDERATE_CAVALRY_PISTOL</Type>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CONFEDERATE_CAVALRY_PISTOL</MemberType>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_CONFEDERATE_RIFLEMAN ***************************************************** -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_CONFEDERATE_RIFLEMAN</Type>
    <Formation>HonorableGunpowder</Formation>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CONFEDERATE_RIFLEMAN</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>14</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_UNION_ARTILLERY_NAPOLEON ******************************************************* -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_UNION_ARTILLERY_NAPOLEON</Type>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_UNION_ARTILLERY_NAPOLEON</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>3</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_UNION_ARTILLERY_PARROTT ******************************************************* -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_UNION_ARTILLERY_PARROTT</Type>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_UNION_ARTILLERY_PARROTT</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>3</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_UNION_IRONCLAD ************************************************ -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_UNION_IRONCLAD</Type>   
    <DamageStates>3</DamageStates>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_UNION_IRONCLAD</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>1</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_UNION_CAVALRY_CARBINE ****************************************************** -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_UNION_CAVALRY_CARBINE</Type>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_UNION_CAVALRY_CARBINE</MemberType>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_UNION_CAVALRY_PISTOL ****************************************************** -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_UNION_CAVALRY_PISTOL</Type>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_UNION_CAVALRY_PISTOL</MemberType>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>
  <!-- UNIT_UNION_RIFLEMAN ***************************************************** -->
  <UnitArtInfo>
    <Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_UNION_RIFLEMAN</Type>
    <Formation>HonorableGunpowder</Formation>
    <UnitMemberArt>
      <MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_UNION_RIFLEMAN</MemberType>
      <MemberCount>14</MemberCount>
    </UnitMemberArt>
  </UnitArtInfo>

I didn't know you could gift units...wow I feel dumb. So is it an option under diplomacy when you have units in their territory?

I didn't know you could gift units...wow I feel dumb. So is it an option under diplomacy when you have units in their territory?

I wonder if the AI gifts units to the human player ever, though?

It is in the extra actions menu (with delete unit and such).

If you are winning the game already then you can gift to other Civs:
-for kicks
-to keep a buffer Civ alive
-to kill off some units of that jerk you've been pretending to be friends with.

On the subject of city states. In Vanilla CiV, I wasted A LOT of time trying to keep ally city states alive with Unit gifting. I would gift strong units and not realize they get the resource penalty, and then eventually got the point that the game was intentionally handing the city-states to certain players ('city-state has declared permanent war'. Oh, riiiiiiiiight).

Eventually I realized that the only way to keep a city-state ally alive is to stay at peace with the attacker and squat your units around the city tile, blocking melee units.

This can be used to good effect in Team Play, as mentioned before, when you can help your partner build SS parts and gift 'em to her.

Top Bottom