1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you skip BE but will 100% get CiVI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sherlock, Jun 26, 2016.

1. rastak

rastak Emperor

Agree, I didn't love it, but didn't hate it. Glad it's an option in my game library.

2. johnnybaseball

johnnybaseball Chieftain

Me. Civ BE removed the historical context that I really enjoy about Civ.

3. MkLh

MkLh King

Yes. Couldn't care less about BE as it was based on CIV. Civ6 on the other hand is a brand new game.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I bought Beyond Earth, found it overwhelmingly dull (but incredibly beautiful), but the last time I played it apparently some patches had at least made it mildly more interesting than it was on release. Not so interesting that I feel like investing in Rising Tide. Still, Beyond Earth feels like an anomaly, and it won't stop me from pre-ordering Civ6, which I have much more confidence in.

5. The_Reckoning

The_Reckoning Prince

Dota is a WC3 mod (custom map really) and it spawned an entire new genre.

The gameplay mechanical gap between the EU4/Stellaris/CK2 is bigger than Civ4/Col or Civ5/BE, that is true. You have a narrow definition of what a mod is though.

6. isau

isau Deity

Beyond Earth was very disappointing to me. It had a ton of potential but IMO none of it was realized. Biggest thing it needed was for the planets to differ from each other and to "feel" like a foreign planet. Seeing the same aliens in every game was a total deal breaker for me.

I also found the tech tree in BE totally overwhelming in a bad way.

7. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I got BE and RT and enjoyed it for the most part. I got over 200 hours out of it, which pales compares to CiV, but still got my money's worth. It has some really great ideas and some interesting concepts, but lacked soul, for lack of a better word. It has some pretty major flaws but it's not a terrible game. I probably will not be preordering VI though because of it. I will definitely be waiting for community feedback for the first couple weeks post release.

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Civ 4 Colonization was a mod, but it was a pretty good one -- the gameplay was completely different from Civ IV. I enjoyed it, but I must admit I only played it through twice (and then only because I didn't survive the endgame of the first playthrough). There wasn't enough variation in the core gameplay to interest me in starting a third game.

Civ BE was also a mod, though a much more expensive and ambitious one. The gameplay was both not different enough from Civ V in some ways, and yet too different in others. I was disappointed with it, but I played more than 100 hours of it, which I'm sure was vastly more than I played of Civ 4 Colonization. I didn't buy RT but someone bought it for me; I haven't even played a full game of it.

Civ VI is not a mod, but whether it's a mod or not really doesn't have much to do with whether it will be worth playing.

9. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Yes, this is the best way to sum up my issue with BE. The graphics were gorgeous, the soundtrack was phenomenal, but they world...the leaders...the lore...it was all so shallow and lacking. I felt no connection at all to the universe they created; with a quarter of the text Endless Space created a deeper and more likable universe.

10. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I didn't buy Beyond Earth and it was the first Civilization game that I didn't buy. I bought everything from Civs I through IV and even bought Call to Power I and II. I also bought Civilization 5 but it was such a massive disappointment that I was leary about Beyond Earth. Once bitten, twice shy. It turned out to be a dud so I'm glad I didn't get it.

We'll see about Civ VI. It won't be a day one purchase as Firaxis has lost that trust but so far it looks like a pretty decent game. :)

11. Veras

Veras Prince

I also don't see the point of having this discussion. In the end the only conclusion is that there were people who hated it, people indifferent to it and peple who like it.

I'm part of the last group, pre-ordering both games, playing more than 400 hours and being really sad that there won't be a second expansion. I really enjoyed it, but I won't waste my time trying to make anyone to like the game as I do.

Beyond Earth had, among other things, the misfortune of being on Civ V's shadow, and Firaxis' great mistake (pun intended) was to try to sell it on the same hype train. This ended up disappointing those who expected it to be like Civ V by not being Civ V enough; and those who didn't wanted Civ V in space by not distancing itself enough of Civ V.

Either way, we cannot deny the importance of BE as a testing ground for Civ IV. For example, the Agenda feature is a deployment of Rising Tide's diplomacy system. BERT leaders reacted to your gameplay all the time, and it was impossibile to please everyone. Each one had a clear preference, and you had to take that into consideration before choosing your playstyle.

More information about BE's legacy on Civ IV remains to be seen, but I bet it won't stop here, even for mechanics that ended up being dropped because they didn't work quite as planned.

12. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

i'll get Civ6 for the full price and wait for 75% sale for BE.

13. darko82

darko82 Emperor

BE is not a Civ game. It's a good game. Some things need to be improved etc. I hope they have not abondoned the game already? I love the idea and its atmosphere. Firaxis wanted to experiment a bit with this game, but they did not need to. It could be a long-term game like Civ games. They need to do something about it because the setting/the worlds and all that feels awsome to play. I enjoy the game the way it is, though.

14. qadams

qadams Bohemian

In answer to the OP, yes and yes. ;)

15. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I was thinking this too. However, I will watch some Let's Play videos by marbozir and quill18.

16. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

+1
    I had the Chance to Play a Demo of 100 turns or so and wasn't convinced. I was hoping for the next SMAC, which it obviously wasn't. I skipped BE and preordered CivVI already. :)

17. Quarz

Quarz Chieftain

I personally did enjoy Civ4Col a lot; especially the economic model: giving each pop-point a specific profession. Anyway, I mostly played a moded version with much less pressure for time. So I have to admit, I totally dislike to play 4-X-games in a fixed (and pretty low) number of turns. I do agree on you, this limeted time made the game feel like a mod/scenario very much.

Overall I would love we would get Civ6Col one day. But I doubt this will happen.

CivBE was and will be be the first Civgame which I skip, while Civ6 is on my must buy list.

18. Aldor

Aldor King

After playing many games of both Civ5 and BERT, I actually prefer BERT. Civ5 feels extremely limiting you when it comes to expansion (as negative happiness brings your growth to a complete halt, and you better don't fall below -10 health ever or see uprisings all through your empire). I'm starting a new Civ5 game from time to time, and quite often come to a point where happiness really just acts as a game breaker. I really feel caged in that "four city" system.

There are very obvious AI flaws with BERT, and balance is another big problem. But I VERY rarely encounter the above mentioned problem there. And is the game setting dull or boring? I definitely wouldn't say so (unless a space setting just isn't your thing).

So to answer the threads question: I didn't skip BE(RT), but I'm all the more looking forward to a Civ6 that will hopefully be more enjoyable to play than Civ5.

19. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I got BE at 75 % sale some months ago, but haven't gotten around to play it yet. People's negative comments sort of turned me off it, but there are some aspects of it I found really interesting from what I read, so I might still look into it at some point.

I'll definitely get Civ6 at full price, I'm currently just waiting for more information about those post-release DLCs while debating whether to go for the deluxe edition or the standard edition.

20. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

I suppose it does and if there was no BNW to compete with it for the weekends or no Civ6 on the horizon I would have bought it. I probably will, after getting used to Civ6.

Also I have my own strange rules to when to buy expansions which are basically only after I won with all the existing factions with random starts. I still need to get Brazilia and finish the game with them (The same rule also explains why I got BNW only recently, I was delayed by not getting Theodora).