Dieter's Europe CiV

I think Ive made some progress - I opened the map in the world builder, and I dont have the Babylonian Civ - so the second Player slot is empty. I think this is causing an error, and I cant select any Civ below it in the leader list.

I am going to try and resolve it using the worldbuilder. As a last resort I can buy the Babylonian DLC I guess! =)

Was having fun playing England, but the game crashed when I met Cape Town in Spain (supposed to be portugal?)

Does this happen to others?

Does it keep crashing if you reload your game? Or are you still having troubles with the map? Thats a problem I haven't run into in my experiences with the map...

Has anyone else had such a problem?

As for the Babylon DLC problem - sorry about that; perhaps in worldbuilder you can just swap them out for the Persians perhaps?

As for the Babylon DLC problem - sorry about that; perhaps in worldbuilder you can just swap them out for the Persians perhaps?

I resolved it, just deleting the team slots for Babylon and Spain (another DLC I dont have) managed to fix the issue and preserve the accurate startng positions.

Enjoying the map =)

Tried using this, but soon as I hit load scenario the only option to play is Arabia :( If I'm doing something wrong please inform me.

Tried using this, but soon as I hit load scenario the only option to play is Arabia :( If I'm doing something wrong please inform me.

You have the same issue as I had. Read up a few posts to see how I resolved it.

In short, open the map in the worldbuilder, and under one of the menus (I think its Scenario or something) delete the blank Team 2 and Team 12 teams.

These represent Babylon and Spain which Im guessing you do not have (DLC), and is causing your problem. (Arabia is in Team Slot "1" which is why its the only one you can choose before an error occurs, when your game cant load the Babylon Civ in the Team 2 slot).

Then save the map and try again.

Does it keep crashing if you reload your game? Or are you still having troubles with the map? Thats a problem I haven't run into in my experiences with the map...

Has anyone else had such a problem?
Yeah, I loaded an autosave of 2 turns earlier and it crashed again when I met them once more.

I'll try a game as Spain, see what happens then.

I think maybe the map is too large for my hardware. It crashed around turn 200, and again on the reload. Normally I play standard maps and have no problems. But I do think I had problems with huge maps before.

Greetings Dieter.

This is an excellent map and I really enjoy playing on it. There are two things I would like to bring to your attention regarding your map.

1. This is just a minor issue, Thebes (Egypt) does not start with a Temple, even though it just takes one turn to make. :)

2. Using Worldbuilder, I removed the current Oslo (Japan), replaced them with the new Denmark DLC, and renamed the capital Oslo. (seems more real that way) However, when I play as the new civ, their research times are a lot more higher than the other civs. For example, the first four tech times are as follows:

Standard speed: Denmark 16 turns, all others 11 turns
Epic speed: Denmark 24 turns, all others 16 turns

I remembered to give them a Temple, so they have 4 Science at the start just like every other civ. Is there another file or setting that needs to be edited as well? :confused:

By "temple" I'm assumimg you mean Palace... must have missed that one again. Thebes was without a palace. which would cause the research times to be delayed.
I have uploaded a corrected map - now everyone should have a palace.
Thanks for catching that mistake for my MikeAwesome!

I did not add the Viking DLC - not everyone has appreciated having DLCs on the map in the past - I will add it if people think its a good idea...

Extra signed up to say it would be a nice idea to add the viking dlc.( or make two versions one with another without dlcs) :p
And it would be nice to remove genoa.why? so the Italians can expand more ( in my games they had 2-3 cities). Probably it would make a military conflict between spain, france and italy more common.Same thing with england -too underpowered. Maybe remove 1 city state? Another issue is, like mentioned before, oil. All nations should have at least 1 oil resource to build 1-2 oil units.My last concern is the Celtic. In my opinion they only prevent the Germans from expanding so they stay small too and cant build a counterpart to Russia. As consequence the Russians become quite overpowered in every game. Just found a minor bug: built a city on the coast( with fish + pearls) as Babylonian but cant build a workboat/lighthouse...
Btw its my favourite map!

Alright made some changes:
Added Denmark as I like the idea of giving the Vikings their appropriate seafaring and coastal raiding potential. I kept them in Oslo as Copenhagen would be very cramped!

Alut; you are correct that Genoa/Venice blocks Rome in; you were not the first to mention this - I was reluctent to remove such a historically important CS. However, for a small map I agree one CS should go - Genoa has been moved to Benghazi, and will hopefully make play more interesting.

Another issue is, like mentioned before, oil. All nations should have at least 1 oil resource to build 1-2 oil units
As for oil - I will not place oil resources just to make game play fair! I have tried to make this map fairly realistic/historically accurate. There are only a few Civs with no access to oil, but this is countered by surplus oil in the expected areas as well as plenty of CS's with access to oil. The unlucky civ's will have to buy or trade for this resource.

My last concern is the Celtic. In my opinion they only prevent the Germans from expanding so they stay small too and cant build a counterpart to Russia. As consequence the Russians become quite overpowered in every game. Just found a minor bug: built a city on the coast( with fish + pearls) as Babylonian but cant build a workboat/lighthouse...
Btw its my favourite map!

I don't know what to do about Russia - resources are more sparce and individual cities will have fewer relative resources compared to other civs. They have been very powerful before and after I added the Mongols and the Celts. They are beatable though!

As for the bug - weird. I didn't have a problem as the Babylonians.

And thanks so much for the complement!

I really like this map, one of my favorite maps actually. But I've had this one really strange problem. For some reason the city states don't have their proper name. For example. I see Lisbon on the map, it's named Lisbon, but for some reason when I go to Lisbon's diplomacy screen, it becomes Cape Town. The same goes for Amsterdam, it's Amsterdam on the map but on the diplomacy screen it becomes Singapore. I've noticed that when I opened up world builder and going to the city edit menu, Brussels will have the "city name localized" box ticked, but that same box won't be ticked for Amsterdam, Lisbon, Yereven, and so on. Is there a way to fix this possibly on the World Builder?

Am I blind? Cant see the Danes... :(

edit: lol copied the map in the backup folder... -.-

How exactly do I install this mod? I've DLed it and placed in the MODS folder, but in game can't enable in game.

Alut - I uploaded the revised map a while ago; you should be able to see and play the Danes, though they still start in Scandinavia at Oslo.

Sir Byzantium - I've looked into that before; I believe you would need to 'mod' the CS's for their names to change in the diplomacy screen. I get its a little confusing but I prefer to get half way right with appropriate city names...

How exactly do I install this mod? I've DLed it and placed in the MODS folder, but in game can't enable in game.

I believe this is located on an earlier post... extract the file into your "Maps" file in CiV. Once there load up the game and select "Mods", "Set Up Game" and then select Dieter's in the map tab amd make sure to "load scenario". Then you can set up the game as you like.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, i'll make it work!

Top Bottom