[DIETY] Boudica in: Bad karma strikes back! (All warmonger pangaea)

Pfff...whining for luck huh, let me tell you that Snaaty's game looks hardly winnable also and i have done loads of breakout games..point here is if you want skill and tactics give us something secure in our area, even that crazy Toku game where @AZ lost countless times like he says had bfc Iron.
Tachy's warrior rush lol ~~ If you call that strategy let me take your temperature :)

Pfff...whining for luck huh, let me tell you that Snaaty's game looks hardly winnable also and i have done loads of breakout games..point here is if you want skill and tactics give us something secure in our area, even that crazy Toku game where @AZ lost countless times like he says had bfc Iron.

I am not familiar with AZ's Toku game.
I know you do breakouts with riders of rohan, probably best in it, but I like maps where that doesn't work that well, cause I've had enough of that strategy (I admit, the best one for most of the games).

What can I say, I still think this map is winnable. At least for Duckweed. But I think I could win it too with some different outcomes, or luck if you wish. If someone gets to cannons in decent time and alive, this map can feel like normal map. Snaaty's game has enough bpt potential for doing that. Regarding security: well if you don't have resources, you have longbows, catapults, trebs, muskets, rifles, grens, artillery. Aim for one of them then. But you can always settle some of resources in the distance, or you can trade for some of them. This isn't my first map without strat resources and scarce land on deity, and some of them I played were barely a challenge. I also have more fun preventing my loss than roflstomping AIs. Different points of view.
However, if you roflstomped this map, I'd respect that more than complaining without giving it a serious try.

Tachy's warrior rush lol ~~ If you call that strategy let me take your temperature

Well, it is. For everything below deity it is solid strategy in times of despair if you are good at it, and sometimes it could work on deity too. I wasn't aware it could be done before she did it (hey, scout block!). I played it a bit, and I can say I had 2 solid blocking cities and space for 4 more good cities. And it claimed both phants and iron and stone. Then Shaka killed me with catas very early instead of Monty, but that was that luck part.

I am not familiar with AZ's Toku game.
I know you do breakouts with riders of rohan, probably best in it, but I like maps where that doesn't work that well, cause I've had enough of that strategy (I admit, the best one for most of the games).

I just wish this map had room for 1 cottage city. :\ Then I could do a lot of stuffs with it, but since there is none I can't pull off what I wanted to pull. :( Longbows, and Trebs do work as a warring stack. :D

You can bulb Engineering. Don't forget to skip Fishing then. Or you can settle your capital between clams and ivory. That is one cottageable spot with 5 riverside cottages. Reload if Monty gets holy city next to your capital. And you'll also have ivory that way. But you can still go Treb+LB just for the fun of it.

I know it's possible, it's just not optimal as the AI techs like they are on crack, and I have tried this map 6 times, and Monty gets Buddhism in the same spot every time. No matter how far out I settle out to block with my capital, maybe I just am to scared of getting raped by a barb, and I am not pushing out far enough. Though I did have one good game that I could have won, but Shaka switched war targets in the middle of a war to me, and took 3 islands in one turn. :\

Here the map and here AZ's video of one of his tries.

That map was quite epic and I had insane luck with it. Yet without luck it's doubtfully winnable.

Thanks GKey!
Oh this is from time I didn't know for civfanatics yet.
I guess I know which map will be played next :)

@Zx

I know it's possible, it's just not optimal as the AI techs like they are on crack, and I have tried this map 6 times, and Monty gets Buddhism in the same spot every time. No matter how far out I settle out to block with my capital, maybe I just am to scared of getting raped by a barb, and I am not pushing out far enough. Though I did have one good game that I could have won, but Shaka switched war targets in the middle of a war to me, and took 3 islands in one turn. :\

You can try and settle first 3 cities normally, then go for islands and after that claim one of two tundra iron spots. Beeline for steel, whip like you know it and win the game. Bottom path FTW! That's what I'd do with this knowledge and I find it viable. You also don't need to trade techs that much so all AIs will be a bit more backward. And if you manage to grab GLH. It's gg. Maybe you should go that direction and retry if you fail so you can save yourself from very tedious mid and late game.

@Mylene
I would say setups like this one are very much based on luck, if you get stabbed early while someone else is not...hmms. No fan of easy mode, but if all you can do is cross your fingers in the beginning, it is hard to compare what the good moves here are.

Mylene, this is from Toku game Dirk hosted and GKey revealed to me. I can see you still didn't change your mind. But I admit you are right about comparisson issues with starts like these:D

That's what I was doing Shakabrade until Shaka decided that he wanted to fight me more than someone who he was at war with.... I could replay it, and do well with that strategy, but Shakas epic troll annoyed me to much to bother at the moment. :\

50BC TO 1190AD:
This part of the game is not very rewarding in terms of entertainment, but is most definitely the most important part and also a part in which people can actually learn something from me. Pictures of the empire are not that important since cities producing 5 GS tend to stagnate and there is no room for any expansion. So I focused only on diplo and tech screen since, I repeat, that is the most important part of the game and also it would be better saying techs/diplo just like it is common to say space/time because they are so codependable (hope this word exists).

Nice showcase, Shakabrade.
I've played through this part as well and... this is hard.

I'll update later but here are some differences :

Spoiler :
My plan :
I aimed for Rifling as a military tech, instead of Mil Trad or Steel. I expected naval support and Trebuchets to help the Riflemen but forgot Frigates & Ships of the line wouldn't be available without iron (nope, didn't settle any tundra city/capture a tundra barb city)/
Decided to tech up, giving time to set up national wonders to catch up in production (Moai and Globe Theater).
Had 0 border tension for the whole game. Felt pretty safe.

What went bad :
Monty wonderspammed. From 7-8 cities, he ran away in tech with Ragnar (I was 4th to Riffling in the 1200 AD range).
Ragnar won his wars : he reached 16 cities!
Monty won his wars : he capped the Greeks and the Romans.
So there are two superpowers that out-teched me. Well Monty isn't really a superpower but he's really strong;

I was late getting my GPs for Liberalism. I could have used some more pop for my cities while in Caste&Pac but I've been very greedy on infrastructure.
Monty founded Taoism early. Alexander got Education early. I had no EPs on Alex to know when he'd research Lib... so I decided not to take any chance and took Nationalism from Liberalism.
I think you used a much more streamlined techpath than me, before Civil Service. I took a long time getting trade baits and backfilling, at that time. Maybe a bad idea since I suspect you revolted into Pacifism much earlier than I did. I did selftech Philosophy, after all.

Well, from there, I slowly asembled a stack of Trebs, then of Trebs and Rifles, until it'd look like a real stack. Around 1440 AD, it's a 30 units stack that is garrisonned in the spiritual nexus of my Empire (an old trick I learnt from a crocodile warlord; screenshot to come).
Shaka and Genghis still don't have Rifling. Genghis remained barely alive thanks to the AP (or Ragnar would have finished him).
Shaka has been my target for a while and the reason why I wanted some ships of the line (fast bombard, mobility, plenty of coastal cities). However, he is the one with the Frigate fleet.
Montezuma (and vassals) just declared war onto Shaka.
This looks like the last opportunity to wage a winning war... haaa! What shall we do? Monty or Shaka need to go down :cry:

Spoiler :
This is the moment of opportunity. Breath deeply: inspire, ready to expire...

And don't forgot that B.E.A.U.tiful seashell when you leave the beach!

conclusion: really a hard map - it's probably a lost game already but I don't know it. Keeping the AIs under control... eek! I feel like I've been clueless for most of the game. Had to reload into this losing position.
Special mention to this sequence : Ragnar DoWs Genghis, Monty dogpiles. Monty asks me to join. I accept (noooo! he's so big and large!). Genghis bribes in Shaka against me (aka Longbows and Catapults vs Axes and Horse archers & Cats). Didn't have the spirit to play this on.
Or the time I bulbed Calendar with a scientist, great time! There was another, can't remember.

Attachments

• Niko AD-1440.CivBeyondSwordSave
    289.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Niko AD-0620.CivBeyondSwordSave
    216.9 KB · Views: 41
I have to admit I easily gave up on this one...

Spoiler :
On my first try I got Elephants, and tried for a breakout with three cities with Elepults around 450 BC while Monty's stack was far away in Mongolian lands. Took two cities, but Ragnar joined in and Monty vassaled to him before I could take the real good cities, by then everyone else in reach had Longbows, Shaka had a big stack and Ragnar had twelve cities so I didn't see an opportunity to press ahead with my mid-sized stack. Tried to go for Engineering but couldn't trade as everyone else went that route, couldn't bulb because I had teched Fishing for my second and third city, so I was there too late.

On my second try I beelined the Great Lighthouse and lost it. Reloaded and focused on settling the islands and still lost them to Shaka. So I called it quits...

Anyway, thanks for hosting, I really learned some things from my failures ;)

@Zero:

Spoiler :
That's some strange AI behavior...I only played the map twice but both times he made his third and not his second city with elephants in the second ring, which makes it possible to steal them from him with a Clams + Ivory city.

I have to admit I easily gave up on this one...

Spoiler :
On my first try I got Elephants, and tried for a breakout with three cities with Elepults around 450 BC while Monty's stack was far away in Mongolian lands. Took two cities, but Ragnar joined in and Monty vassaled to him before I could take the real good cities, by then everyone else in reach had Longbows, Shaka had a big stack and Ragnar had twelve cities so I didn't see an opportunity to press ahead with my mid-sized stack. Tried to go for Engineering but couldn't trade as everyone else went that route, couldn't bulb because I had teched Fishing for my second and third city, so I was there too late.

On my second try I beelined the Great Lighthouse and lost it. Reloaded and focused on settling the islands and still lost them to Shaka. So I called it quits...

Anyway, thanks for hosting, I really learned some things from my failures ;)

Did you try killing LBs with WEs and cats. It is actually easy. Just testing in WB. C2 WE has 60.5% against fortified LB in a flatland city. CR1 Cat has 19.45%. CR2 cat has 30%. If you sacrifice 2 CR1 Cats, you shouldn't lose more than them. Or if you could soften 4 LBs with CR1 cat and then CR2 cat has 50% chance. I'd still consider him dead, but after that, you lose no units since WEs will have >95%. Oops, I forgot to promote LBs to CG1, but that shouldn't make much of a difference, just add one more cat. So if you consider 3 cats dead per flatland city. you should be fine. Although that's worst case scenario, some cats will actually survive.

For hill cities. Sacrifice 3 CR1 cats and gamble on 60% with WE, or just sacrifice 4 cats and wipe them up. I usually don't build as many WEs as I do build cats. And it is generally better. Build them in capital, and also build stable, and don't build stables in other 2 cities, which should whip cats. If you have taken, some of Monty's land, you probably got iron, so build 2 axes to protect the stack against spears.

And WEs can take care of big stacks. Just toss a few cats at them before they attack you.

Reason I am saying this is that I think your first attempt had great potential. People rarely play games to the end when they believe they are lost, but I have been doing that lately and I am amazed by how many games are salvageable. With this experience, I could probably win more than half of the games I discarded as losses before. If you can get to nukes and whip/rush them before AIs win culture or space, the game is won.

There is one hell of a game in which I used cats+WE against Shaka where he had Longbows and Pikes. So you can see how it is done, and that it also is possible.

Link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11504662&postcount=34

@BiC

I'll comment when you update and post a save, but I can tell Monty wonderspammed in my game too, and got tech lead. Buddhist shrine didn't hurt either. But that is typical Monty if he doesn't die, or gets seriously hurt early.

I am looking forward to revealing that ''spiritual nexus'' trick.

I see you had various ideas for approaching this game. And that is what playing unfair games like these is all about. In normal games, you can always go for Renaissance breakthrough and win, without reviding your strategy from start to finish. But in hard games you are so desperate that you actually consider much more options. This leads to much better play in the future. And that egotrip when you manage to win is just icing on the cake.

I am looking forward to revealing that ''spiritual nexus'' trick.
Done.
Spoiler :
Actually, I have mixed feelings about it. It came out as a bad, yet funny, surprise.
Well, as long as Shaka doesn't lose too fast, I don't mind. The delay may help me get the critical mass I need (Monty must be the target, or so I think).

EDIT : Yeah... this is a loss, AIs are monstrous.

shakabrade said:
After I've played a bit into the game, I have replayed the start 3 times just to see will RNG mess things up like in Mao game. And I can say I am satisfied with the results. Settling pattern from your neighbour(s) was always the same. So this map should provide almost the same experience for all.

Well, I've retried and done the same with SIP.
Spoiler :
Each time, Monty founded Buddhism in his 2nd city but he settled it away from us, with 3rd city towards us, too early to compete with. This should make it much easier to fight back his culture.

SIP kinda makes sense for a retry as it guarantees 4 cities on the main landmass.
I'll try to reach Rifling in a more fashionable time and manner. No early wonders game; more focused on early Libraries.

@shakabrade

Nice to see a map with full warmongers,:goodjob: this reminds me how I trained myself in dozens of this kind of games before.:p The available space of this game is a little less than normal, but the diplomacy is easier to handle. You are bordering with Monty only, who is the easiest neighbor.

The key point of this setting is that you can't expect of Renaissance era units alone to win the game. 2 reliable ways --

• Nukes, except that a AI complete Manhattan project, this is usually one of the last two choices (another one is AP:rolleyes:) for someone who really want to taste the victory and claim to be a deity player.
  • Bombers + fighters in carriers

It's probably too late to rescue from your near 1900AD save. However it should be easily winnable from your earlier save, such as before 1700AD, or the best point where you had about 10 good cities. You need to turn your economy to espionage and focus on economy, but not kept warmongering.

The main reason why BTS is considered easier than Vanilla and Warlord is that you have the espionage to catch up in situation like this.

@shakabrade

Nice to see a map with full warmongers,:goodjob: this reminds me how I trained myself in dozens of this kind of games before.:p The available space of this game is a little less than normal, but the diplomacy is easier to handle. You are bordering with Monty only, who is the easiest neighbor.

Glad you see what I am trying to achieve with games like these. Ok, this is first game like this for me, but I intend to drill much more.:) I haven't got much free time in my life so I am pushing my limits to achieve some skills in reasonable time. I find lack of space more troublesome than diplo issues since Monty is good meat shield against almost anyone if he doesn't attack early. More cities would make my cannons come faster and would enable me to grab enough land to win any way I want.

The key point of this setting is that you can't expect of Renaissance era units alone to win the game. 2 reliable ways --

• Nukes, except that a AI complete Manhattan project, this is usually one of the last two choices (another one is AP:rolleyes:) for someone who really want to taste the victory and claim to be a deity player.

Yes, a bit cheesy but I am still not at that skill level that I can dismiss nukes on maps like these. I also win with nukes on some maps I could win with conventional army but simply go for nukes because it is faster.
  • Bombers + fighters in carriers

Never a bad thing but I'd need better economy for that.

It's probably too late to rescue from your near 1900AD save. However it should be easily winnable from your earlier save, such as before 1700AD, or the best point where you had about 10 good cities. You need to turn your economy to espionage and focus on economy, but not kept warmongering.

Not really. I didn't want to warmonger and would be happy if I had opportunity for some real economy but Monty's SoD was unstoppable from the point when he vassaled Shaka. He whipped too many units and with his Buddhist shrine has taken tech lead. Then he promoted all those units and started conquering the rest. I managed to capture more cities than he did, but he had the option to cap people while I couldn't since that'd make me his target. I needed to keep on warmongering to deny him some cities for AP win, and I did that successfully. With cities I captured from Genghis (last cities I captured in the game) I managed to avoid AP defeat by 3 votes and UN defeat by less than 10 some turns later (saved by Biology beeline, which delayed my espionage techs). So that's why I kept warmongering. My only chance on winning with this save would be turning against Monty while he was in war with Raggy and taking his core cities and shrine, maybe even more. That was a mistake. Instead I allied with him and helped him win. I did recognize power of espionage in time, but couldn't do more than this, since my mistakes before that set the course of the game. I'll win this game in my second attempt once I get some time and computer with civ on it.

The main reason why BTS is considered easier than Vanilla and Warlord is that you have the espionage to catch up in situation like this.

I didn't have much experience with vanilla and warlords, but I'd agree, espionage makes BTS easier. However cavalry could be obtained much easier, iIrc and it won the game.

Thanks for the advice and interest. I hope I'll manage to set even meaner games up and challenge your skills one day.:D

gl hf

Well, I've retried and done the same with SIP.
Spoiler :
Each time, Monty founded Buddhism in his 2nd city but he settled it away from us, with 3rd city towards us, too early to compete with. This should make it much easier to fight back his culture.

SIP kinda makes sense for a retry as it guarantees 4 cities on the main landmass.
I'll try to reach Rifling in a more fashionable time and manner. No early wonders game; more focused on early Libraries.

Don't have civ on this computer so I cannot check your saves, but what I can tell is I think going for Rifling is a mistake. Steel beeline gets you to cannons, and with MS you have grens which are not so bad and kill riflemen. I think this is much more powerful approach.

I find lack of space more troublesome than diplo issues since Monty is good meat shield against almost anyone if he doesn't attack early

Agree, Territory is the most important. The AI can be influenced by Tech/Civic/Religion etc, but the power established on territory is more straightforward.

The more challenge may not come from 6 warmongers. If the starting region is barren, the warmonger is you neighbor, the tech broker is in the middle and the expansionist like Joao is at the far end, that'll be really tough. Quick vassaling because of the unbalanced map will make things worse.

I have to admit, civ players, or to be accurate, civ fanatics are masochists.

Glad you see what I am trying to achieve with games like these. Ok, this is first game like this for me, but I intend to drill much more. I haven't got much free time in my life so I am pushing my limits to achieve some skills in reasonable time. I find lack of space more troublesome than diplo issues since Monty is good meat shield against almost anyone if he doesn't attack early. More cities would make my cannons come faster and would enable me to grab enough land to win any way I want.

You might get a different feeling after you try more of this kind of maps. Less space makes the game harder, but the harder diplomatic situation is deadly. In most of this type of maps where you are bordering 2 and more AIs, it's the 2nd wave of wars which are deadly. When those warheads stop their wars and in 10 turns of peace treaty, you are their natural targets and the worse part is that they will usually bring cats this time.

Bombers + fighters in carriers
Never a bad thing but I'd need better economy for that.

That's why I suggested that you focused on economy when you have ~10 cities. You can also have something to bribe Monty out of the war.

Not really. I didn't want to warmonger and would be happy if I had opportunity for some real economy but Monty's SoD was unstoppable from the point when he vassaled Shaka. He whipped too many units and with his Buddhist shrine has taken tech lead. Then he promoted all those units and started conquering the rest. I managed to capture more cities than he did, but he had the option to cap people while I couldn't since that'd make me his target. I needed to keep on warmongering to deny him some cities for AP win, and I did that successfully. With cities I captured from Genghis (last cities I captured in the game) I managed to avoid AP defeat by 3 votes and UN defeat by less than 10 some turns later (saved by Biology beeline, which delayed my espionage techs). So that's why I kept warmongering. My only chance on winning with this save would be turning against Monty while he was in war with Raggy and taking his core cities and shrine, maybe even more. That was a mistake. Instead I allied with him and helped him win. I did recognize power of espionage in time, but couldn't do more than this, since my mistakes before that set the course of the game. I'll win this game in my second attempt once I get some time and computer with civ on it.

I had not noticed the situation that you were in danger of losing in AP and UN. However, I guess there are other ways than warmongering to prevent the loss. For instance, the Radio and Medicine line techs are usually available for you bribe Monty leaving the war so that he can't grow too big.

I didn't have much experience with vanilla and warlords, but I'd agree, espionage makes BTS easier. However cavalry could be obtained much easier, iIrc and it won the game.

Horse is not always available. Moreover, Vanilla and Warlord AIs start with more bonus. While you can field cavs before 1000ADs, AIs are also able to have Rifling before 1000ADs. WOTM38 (the challenger save) was a representative game, I'd rate it 3/10 in term of difficulty. My 2nd target got Rifling ~900AD. In another deity WOTM I played (I rated it as 0.5;)), 1 AI got Rifling ~700AD.

I have no doubts that BtS is a lot easier then Warlords. I tried some Immortal games 2 or 3 months ago in Warlords and there is a lot of small things that bring Immortal on Warlords feel like almost Deity in BtS.

things that stand out

1) happy cap is crippling. On Immortal you have like 4 happy in capital, 3 in other cities, so if the land doesn't help (gold/gems etc) you're in troubles
2) no aesthetics, making good tech plan almost impossible

I had even feeling that AI's were much quicker in all things then it would be in BtS, that has to be bonuses mentioned by Duckweed.

Agree, Territory is the most important. The AI can be influenced by Tech/Civic/Religion etc, but the power established on territory is more straightforward.

The more challenge may not come from 6 warmongers. If the starting region is barren, the warmonger is you neighbor, the tech broker is in the middle and the expansionist like Joao is at the far end, that'll be really tough. Quick vassaling because of the unbalanced map will make things worse.

I agree this can be a lot harder start.

I have to admit, civ players, or to be accurate, civ fanatics are masochists.

True to that. But only for those who play harder difficulties. While I was wonderwhoring maranoob, I couldn't say I'd fit the description of masochistic. And I believe 80% of civ players are wonderwhoring maranoobs. I don't mean to insult anyone with this, since I respect some people have more casual approach. I can say all high level players are egotrippers (myself included :)). This thread alone has enough material to back it up.

You might get a different feeling after you try more of this kind of maps. Less space makes the game harder, but the harder diplomatic situation is deadly. In most of this type of maps where you are bordering 2 and more AIs, it's the 2nd wave of wars which are deadly. When those warheads stop their wars and in 10 turns of peace treaty, you are their natural targets and the worse part is that they will usually bring cats this time.

What I felt throughout this game was simply lack of bpt and production. Everything I got, I got from bulbing. One more good city would mean a lot to me, like enabling Steel with which I could dispatch . Being LT of 2 warmongers is harder setting, but I have never played a game like that. I can only say I'd try to get them to pleased, gift them or their neigbours cities in a way they become land targets and beg in most dire circumstances.

That's why I suggested that you focused on economy when you have ~10 cities. You can also have something to bribe Monty out of the war.

I think you are understimating how this game turned out a bit.
Monty was unbribable since his first war with Zulu: We'd rather win the game, thank you very much... Also, we know bribing from the war is only cease fire. And Monty had so many units, he'd redeclare immediately.
Also, those cities I captured were very highly culture pressed and my core cities didn't have enough economical power to pay for their maintenance and let me research for a long time.

I had not noticed the situation that you were in danger of losing in AP and UN. However, I guess there are other ways than warmongering to prevent the loss. For instance, the Radio and Medicine line techs are usually available for you bribe Monty leaving the war so that he can't grow too big.

Again, he couldn't have been bribed, and I couldn't tech so far since espionage was priority. I had no other options but to deny Monty some cities. I don't think I could have done much from the point where Monty got cannons and rifles, and very soon infantry.:( But everything before that can be discussed. I'd like to hear your opinion on better approach to this game since start.

Horse is not always available. Moreover, Vanilla and Warlord AIs start with more bonus. While you can field cavs before 1000ADs, AIs are also able to have Rifling before 1000ADs. WOTM38 (the challenger save) was a representative game, I'd rate it 3/10 in term of difficulty. My 2nd target got Rifling ~900AD. In another deity WOTM I played (I rated it as 0.5;)), 1 AI got Rifling ~700AD.

It seems pre BTS civ was indeed harder. But I couldn't bring myself to play any of those.
Wasn't aware you played WOTMs, I was only concentrated on your BOTMs. Aren't we bragging a bit with these ratings... ;). But if anyone has any rights to brag...:)

I have no doubts that BtS is a lot easier then Warlords. I tried some Immortal games 2 or 3 months ago in Warlords and there is a lot of small things that bring Immortal on Warlords feel like almost Deity in BtS.

things that stand out

1) happy cap is crippling. On Immortal you have like 4 happy in capital, 3 in other cities, so if the land doesn't help (gold/gems etc) you're in troubles
2) no aesthetics, making good tech plan almost impossible

I had even feeling that AI's were much quicker in all things then it would be in BtS, that has to be bonuses mentioned by Duckweed.

Thanks for pointing that out. Not a surprise those warlords deity players had no problems adapting to BTS.

Top Bottom