Diety Challenge 38: Air Tight

Blicero

Warlord
It's been a while since a DC was posted. Lack of enthusiasm and excessive rules are rumoured to be the blame, so here's an attempt to :whipped: it back into shape.

It is said that the stones used to build the Incan temples were the size of cars, yet assembled with such precision that their borders were air tight. And so I offer this map to you all, which begs if ever one did for the exhibition of an air-tight strategy. :king:

This map is a challenge to the pros to throw up some record-breaking finishes, and is also for the noobs (which I was until not too long ago) who are looking for their first diety win or maybe just a confidence booster.

Any victory type is allowed. But to kick this off with a challenge, I went SV and post my personal Diety best of T270. I know the pros will laugh that off, but I was stoked about it enough to pony up the same map as a DC.

You play as Pachacutie of the Inca, and this is where you'll start.

Spoiler :

As the Inca you get the slinger (which is basically just an archer who can retreat when attacked by melee) as well as the ability to walk over hills as if they were flat land. Roads on hills are also free of maintenance. BUT, in addition to these you also get the terraced farm improvement, which can be built on hills. The TF provides one :c5food: by default, plus another :c5food: with Civil Service or Fertiliser. But the real gem with this baby is this (and it's not clearly spelled out in the game, so I'll do so here for those who aren't familiar): Each adjacent mountain tile provides one more :c5food: - per mountain. It's available with Construction.

And with that I give you the save file… Good luck!

View attachment DC38.Civ5Save

P.S. I forgot to add. This is a standard Pangea map, with all the base case settings. And no, that crapola map pack from the last patch is not required, and never will be as far as I'm concerned.

I will probably settle where warrior is on ss. Many good places for terrace farms.

Incan units dont however use hills if they were roads they just ignore terrain cost on them? Does terrace farm give one extra food before civil service if build adjancent to river? I remember it gives only one.

The game decided for me not to settle at all as at least one map pack is still required.

I double checked this morning, and you are correct with the farm. No extra food if next to water. It's just that water is not required to build it.

Also correct on the movement. I corrected both in the OP.

Good luck!

The game decided for me not to settle at all as at least one map pack is still required.

Hmm, I have all DLC enabled, but not the scrambled map packs that came with the latest patch... Do you have all prior DLC?

Yup, all the civ & wonder DLCs but none of the map packs. The game complained that I'm missing (a) DLC(s) so at least one must've been ticked while creating this map.

I will check again when I get back home. I don't recall ever buying any map packs, and know for certain that it's not the scrambled pack as I'm still greeted with the spam on the title screen that it's still available for purchase.

Sorry if this ruins the challenge.

Tried this...as my first ever deity game:D
Highest Level i can comfortably win is Emperor. Never tried Immortal before. I saw it was Inca and i was like hell why not?

Needless to say i got steam-rolled but i put up a fight to the very end:(
I got capped near turn 280. My beakers were around 800 and i was tech leader starting from around turn 180.

I managed to avert war despite being surrounded by other civs because they were too busy fighting each other and i signed Dof with my neighbours to keep things ticking over.
It was all set to be a easy victory until my neighbor decided she had enough and denounce me. By now, ideology came into play and my happiness plummeted because i ignored tourism.

If i had 20 more turns, i would have this game wrapped up. Curses! The big problems i feel for me was that i didn't have the gold to rush buy the scientific buildings. I end up hard-building most of them. I just didn't have the resource diversity and also i placed my coastal city on the wrong side which prevented a lot of trades going that way.

Oh well learning points!

Sorry if this ruins the challenge.

No worries for my sake but it seemed fair to warn others that there might be a problem. Even though not participating lately I still like to check these out for future reference.

It wont load for me either and as far as I know I have everything. It must be some kind of bug.

If it's not a DLC then it could possibly be some Info Addict type addon which requires constant presence.

No, I run a clean version of the game with not add-ons. The only "dirty" thing I do is play mostly on a Mac. :eek:

Aah, Mac - the ultimate culprit. The End is near.

Save Analyzer lists the DLC in question as 'DLC SP Maps'.

Cant play either. Only DLCs i do not have are the latest map pack and the one with the plus maps.

Plays for me, I have all but the scrambled continents pack.
Fun map so far, settled where the warrior is, some nice spots to the east once construction is done, terrace farms will be impressive up by the marble

It requires the explorer map pack. Which came with the gold edition for a lot of people (or the upgrade to it).

On the other hand people should just deactivate all their map pack by default until they want to specifically play them, this would insure them to not have one activated when they roll a map they want to present as a challenge.

I will probably settle where warrior is on ss. Many good places for terrace farms.

Incan units dont however use hills if they were roads they just ignore terrain cost on them? Does terrace farm give one extra food before civil service if build adjancent to river? I remember it gives only one.

Terrace farm acts as a farm + added bonus for adjacent mountains. So a hill with 1 mountain and a river would get +2F before civil service and +3F after.

I also suggest settling at the warrior spot. It's a hill for the bonus hammer, next to a mountain and since this is near a mountain chain there is a chance to discover potential additional farmable hills on the other side of the chain.

If I don't finish with 5 cities with 30+ pop I will be terribly disappointed.

Spoiler :
Turn 100, 4 DoF with Portugal, India, Indonesia and Japan. One side of the map just constantly tears at each other (Japan, Aztecs, Celts) and the other is a big DoF lovefest. Ethiopia really wishes he was on our side of the Pangaea, so much so that he dropped a city right in the middle of the warmongers trying to get there. I don't expect this to end well for him. Aztecs would attack me (Covets my lands) but Celts have built a wall of cities blocking them off so they keep getting Monty's anger instead.

I cleared a camp for Bratislava, returned their Worker, it got captured again, I freed it again, it got captured again and I freed it a third time. They really like me! I think I'm going to need every CS I can get, especially Mercantile.

5th religion with Desert Folklore, Tithe, Swords into Plowshares, +15% Hammers and Itinerant. The Church of Tall.

3 city NC on Turn 83. Well, 2 city but I dropped a 3rd Settler on Turn 78 and immediately bought a Library there. I'll probably drop 2-4 more cities and do a Sci V. The terrain is Inca-perfect to the East.

It requires the explorer map pack. Which came with the gold edition for a lot of people (or the upgrade to it).

So I'm just back home and have confirmed this to be true. It looks this this was introduced around the time Babylon was, and I suppose I picked it up in the Gold Edition. What frankly sucks is:

1) that this map pack wasn't just given away to everyone who bought BNW; and

2) I may have map pack loaded, but if the save file isn't on a map from that pack, then why is it required??

Apologies for limiting this challenge. I didn't pre-meditate this, but instead was playing a random game and liked the map enough to upload it. Not much I can do now but remember this for the future...

So I'm just back home and have confirmed this to be true. It looks this this was introduced around the time Babylon was, and I suppose I picked it up in the Gold Edition. What frankly sucks is:

1) that this map pack wasn't just given away to everyone who bought BNW; and

2) I may have map pack loaded, but if the save file isn't on a map from that pack, then why is it required??

Apologies for limiting this challenge. I didn't pre-meditate this, but instead was playing a random game and liked the map enough to upload it. Not much I can do now but remember this for the future...

Same thing happened to me when I posted a challenge. Now I just play with the Map Packs turned off unless I'm experimenting with map types.

Does anyone know if having the Map Packs turned off affects the Map Pack generation for standard map types? Like, is the Continents scripting improved/different with the map packs?

Top Bottom