Diety ; struggling with AI planes

omnishakira

Warlord
I've 4 questions, 2 are about planes.

I play most of my games on diety marathon but recently, I've been losing a lot due to the AI planes. Usually the best AI of the game has 5-7 tech advance over me. So around when ive rifflemen/cavalry/canon, the AI start to have planes which pretty much means I can't attack the AI at all since his planes will decimate my army. Cuz y'know... diety... sooooo let's say that the AI has more than 1 plane :)

1) Is there a way to combat those planes or should I just defend until I've anti-planes units ?

2) Does the ''cover'' promotion +33% vs ranged units work vs planes ?

3) Do you consider the casern as a useless building when you have the honor branch (including the +50%xp) ?

4) Do you consider playing with that (http://i.imgur.com/D8Qny.png) open during a game as ''cheating'' ?

thank you !

I've 4 questions, 2 are about planes.

I play most of my games on diety marathon but recently, I've been losing a lot due to the AI planes. Usually the best AI of the game has 5-7 tech advance over me. So around when ive rifflemen/cavalry/canon, the AI start to have planes which pretty much means I can't attack the AI at all since his planes will decimate my army. Cuz y'know... diety... sooooo let's say that the AI has more than 1 plane :)

1) Is there a way to combat those planes or should I just defend until I've anti-planes units ?

2) Does the ''cover'' promotion +33% vs ranged units work vs planes ?

3) Do you consider the casern as a useless building when you have the honor branch (including the +50%xp) ?

4) Do you consider playing with that (http://i.imgur.com/D8Qny.png) open during a game as ''cheating'' ?

thank you !

For 4, I would absolutely not consider it cheating. On Diety most people are already quite familiar with AI personalities. If not, use the spreadsheet!

You might want to edit "casern" into "barracks." Most people won't understand "casern." It's not useless, but only a couple will ever be necessary, and I don't bother building them at first.

I'm also interested in your second question (I don't know the answer).

1. As in you don't even have tri-planes yet? I don't think so. Although I am 98% sure that if you beeline planes without oil, you can still borrow oil from another Civ who has unlocked it. If it is a close game and you are behind, you may be able to shave off some time by going to planes first, then trying to get your own oil.

2. Dunno. I will look out for it next time I find myself in a modern war.

3. Nah. Stacking XP buildings is great, especially later in the game when you are able to unlock 3 promotions right away. In the very beginning I'd say either you are rushing for Heroic Epic, or ignore barracks completely until later.

4. Nah.

2. Dunno. I will look out for it next time I find myself in a modern war.

Yes. Your melee units will have to be powerful Infantry, WWII edition not GW, and the AI has to be fielding GW planes... then its perfectly possible for your bois to eat your opponent's airforce alive and cover promo helps

1) Place them in the appriopriate terrain - if they are specialized with Rough line, place them on hills or forest/jungles
2) Keep rotating them in and out, especially if one of them gets too bloodied (red HP). Try not to use healthpacks until you've maxed out the promo lines.

Just capture the citie where the planes are .

Olso the Ai will notrest to let their bombers heal. So they will continue to atack with them even with 1 HP eventualy they die So the sollution here is having a lot of military units even useuless ones like pikes.

Then try capturing the city with the planes in it and laugh

Just capture the citie where the planes are .

Olso the Ai will notrest to let their bombers heal. So they will continue to atack with them even with 1 HP eventualy they die So the sollution here is having a lot of military units even useuless ones like pikes.

Then try capturing the city with the planes in it and laugh

Easier said than done, especially when OP only has cannons for siege units

Yea this is why you have to do your best to keep up in tech. Being disadvantaged is normal if you're not going to SV but you should really never be more than an age behind. Personally, I would never attack a city stacked with bombers until at least artillery. Cannons are just too sluggish and weak, especially since the AI focuses siege.

This is why I put very very heavy priority on Flight in my Deity games because the AI LOVES to go to Flight and tear your stuff apart. I very rarely go for Dynamite before Flight these days.

You may want to consider popping Flight with Oxford/a GS to get to it and Biology faster and just bunker down in the meantime. I highly recommend rush buying a Triplane ASAP, as even one Triplane can get the AI a little cautious about attacking. Get your siege units far away. If your melee units are heavily promoted, they can actually take a decent beating from GW Bombers in the terrain. A Cover I/II unit with Drill/Shock III in the right terrain can take a lot of hits and weaken the enemy planes enough that they have to stop to heal up, buying you more time to catch up.

They will occasionally suicide but many times they will stop to rest.

This is why I put very very heavy priority on Flight in my Deity games because the AI LOVES to go to Flight and tear your stuff apart. I very rarely go for Dynamite before Flight these days.

You may want to consider popping Flight with Oxford/a GS to get to it and Biology faster and just bunker down in the meantime. I highly recommend rush buying a Triplane ASAP, as even one Triplane can get the AI a little cautious about attacking. Get your siege units far away. If your melee units are heavily promoted, they can actually take a decent beating from GW Bombers in the terrain. A Cover I/II unit with Drill/Shock III in the right terrain can take a lot of hits and weaken the enemy planes enough that they have to stop to heal up, buying you more time to catch up.

They will occasionally suicide but many times they will stop to rest.

okay very useful stuff

thank you

Lesson learned:

Only go straight for dynamite if you are the tech leader and are on a pangea so you can crush everyone fast...

Other wise go for biology to see where oil is and go to flight.

This reminids of a game i quit earlier today.

Here is the start:

Spoiler :

Here is the situation after i killed Pacal:

Spoiler :

So, in two turns time, Bonn was mine. Dresden - in another 5 turns. Augusts comes by to give me DoF. Life is beautiful.

Next thing i know, Bismark bulbs few GS and jumps 6 techs ahead. :eek: My lands get filled with landships and such. Artilleries run in terror.. I chain bulb 3 GS for rocket artilleries.. but my units get slaughtered couple of turns before i get there.

Lesson: Don't mess with Bismark if he has world monopoly on oil.

Top Bottom