1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

difference in difficulty

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by clut, Feb 12, 2006.

1. clut

clut Chieftain

Hi,

I'm about to step up from Noble to Prince, and I was wondering what the differences in difficulty are. I've looked for this in a few places but couldn't find the exact changes, like AI starting with extra units, or tech costs or battle modifiers.

Could anyone who is in the know please jot them down for me here.

Thanks
    Clut.

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Chieftain

The most important change from Noble to Prince is that the AI gets a 5% boost to production and research. Also:

The AI starts with an extra scout.

Your bonus against barbarians is reduced by 5%, and barbarians appear slightly more often.

All cities, both yours and the AI start with one fewer health point and happy face.

The base values for lots of thing like civic upkeep, maintenance, research time, inflation etc. are increased by 5-10% for both you and the AI.

The AI bonuses to unit upkeep and upgrade costs are increased by 5%

You get slightly worse results from goody huts.

I've probably missed a few minor things, but that's about it. The base research costs increase with difficulty level, but the AI gets a bonus to research above Noble which helps them to research faster than you. Except against barbarians there are no battle modifiers at any difficulty level.

3. ozza000

ozza000 Emperor

-Lower Chances vs Barbarians (still good chances though)
    -2 Less Free Units for Upkeep
    -10% Higher Research Costs
    -Higher City Maintenance (10%)
    -Higher Civic Upkeep (10%)
    -5% higher inflation (so costs rise faster)
    -1 less health bonus
    -1 less happiness bonus
    -More Barbarians, and more likely to attack your units.
    -Higher chance to see barbarian cities, and there cities can advance faster.
    -AI starts with a scout now.
    -AI can work tiles 10% faster.
    -AI has 5% quicker/cheaper : city growth, city builds, civic upkeep, city upkeep, unit upkeep.
    -AI has 5 % cheaper upgrade costs or a quarter of the amount of it costs you to be precise.
    -AI has 10% less war weariness, and gets 10% less inflation than Noble level (both these values are 60% of the amount you as a human receive).
    -Less likely to get something good from goody huts (though only very very slightly, hardly any change at all).

And thats about it I think, though there are probably other slight tweaks and changes.

Thanks, Ozza.

4. clut

clut Chieftain

thanks for both of your replies... So I can expect myself to be behind in the tech race then for the first few games!

5. ozza000

ozza000 Emperor

Well that depends how you play. On Prince, its still possible for the human to keep up with AI in techs. However, on a level like Immortal its impossible to keep up, so yes in the long run it gets more and more stacked against you.

6. gettingfat

gettingfat Chieftain

From the point of view in terms of gameplay, the higher the level, the more aggressive you need to have a good life. A pure builder will get out-built and out-teched by the shameless cheating AIs (well, computer program definitely has no shame). Starting from Noble you'd better get your army ready, and build only the needed wonders (or not build at all on many occasions)

7. LauriL

LauriL prince

Prince is a lot tougher than noble. I just won my first actual game with prince. I had one prince victory with a tiny map and two with the WWII North Africa scenario, but I don't count them as real victories.

If you get a good start and you manage well in the tech race, the game resembles noble and you should win it without large problems.

8. petertr2000

petertr2000 Chieftain

In the middle of my first prince game - pleasently suprised to say Im winning on a small map against 3 opponents.

Built until the world was full, got everything "in order", then built a big army - Brought in AI#1 to help me against AI#2, so wont two cities straightaway.

Made peace - got those two cities in order too, although under massive culture strain.

So, war time again - same rules as last time, and we actually wiped them out.

I got the best pickings though - and am now clearly in the lead, and will win barring a fluke

Im chuffed!!