1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between release & fully Patched Versions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by youngsteve, Jan 17, 2019.

1. youngsteve

youngsteve Chieftain

I used to play Civilization a lot back in the day, which I really enjoyed, particularly the third game. I have now decided to get back into playing the games again, & bought the newest version Civilization 6. I had heard the issues about it but thought I would see myself. I didn't like it, but instead of giving up I bought Civilization 5, with all the expansions, which after just starting to play & understand, find very enjoyable..I didn't load up the expansions, although I know they are highly thought of as wanted to get into the vanilla game first. I had read original reviews upon release & peoples opinions, with many slating the game, something all versions seem to have a problem with.

The question I want to know is how much & what differences has the fully patched version to the one on release, without the expansions that is which I know add a lot. I expect a lot, as I am finding the game very good, & I was just interested. Mind I am not a very good player, so it might seem fine to me, when more experienced players find issues.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

I would not recommend wasting time with the vanilla version of Civ 5, which had too many flaws to enumerate. I would recommend loading up the two expansions and learning the completed game, which is far more enjoyable than the vanilla version.

3. youngsteve

youngsteve Chieftain

Are you sure. I keep reading that the expansions certainly improved the game but made it more harder, & recommend playing the vanilla version to learn the basics & move onto them when you have more experience in the game. How do they make the game better. Is it better AI or better design.

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Far better design and mechanics. Feel free to play one vanilla game to get a hang of building and unit production, unit movement and the rudiments of tech and culture, but do not invest much time in vanilla -- you will have to unlearn much (and ditch any bad habits you developed) and you will curse those who advised you to "learn vanilla first" for wasting your time. when you could have been playing a much more satisfying game.

5. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

I agree with Browd, play all expansions and DLC (I assume you got the Complete Edition). I'm slightly different from you in that I played Vanilla and found it lacking. I was debating whether to bother with the expansions because I wasn't sure how much better it would make the game. I bought the Complete Edition and I'm glad I did, it is a much better game. The only drawback I've heard with BNW is that the AI doesn't attack you as aggressively as it did in Gods and Kings (I never played just GaK so I am not positive about this).

Edit. In addition, there is the Game of the Month and CDG where a game is posted and people can all play the same game save and then compare their games with other players. And you need BNW to play the current ones.

6. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

AND there is a Hall-of-Fame here, with a couple of Gauntlets running here. Gauntlets run for about a month (some may go longer), and each one provides a suite of settings for a game. You can freely play/submit as many maps as you like (so long as they conform to the HOF rules), and your best one submitted while the Gauntlet is running will be considered your entry to the competition.

You can submit games into the HOF for any version , but the Gauntlets are always BNW, and include all DLC.

7. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

G&K AI is still there in ItR scenario, and since i played that one quite a lot, yes they declare much more than BNW.

8. claudiupb

claudiupb Chieftain

I highly recommend this scenario it is very entertaining and challenging. I learned to play on Deity just so I could play this at higher level and get the achievements. I also like the twist
    Spoiler :
    when the mongols suddenly appear
    which is quite unique for civ 5.

9. dasaard200

dasaard200 Chieftain

Get the complete Edition; and use all the DLC's .
    The Game has been built like a house on a wooded lot;
    the vanilla game cleared the property and dug the cellar,
    Gods & Kings built the framework and put in the plumbing,
    Brave New World finished the house and installed the carpets and TV .

10. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Chieftain

The only thing I dislike is the change to culture victory. Everything else is better. Religion, espionage, more civs, etc.

11. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I definitely agree with this. There's no point in using vanilla to learn the basics, because a lot of the basics are changed by the expansions anyway. Turn on GK and BNW immediately

12. youngsteve

youngsteve Chieftain

After opening this thread I thought I would give you an update of playing Civ 5, & thank you to everyone who has replied.

I have been playing the game on & off since originally posting & as I had been away from the Civilization series for awhile wanted to play simply learning it playing the vanilla version which I have really enjoyed & played around four games fully. After hearing so much about the expansions I have now decided to first try Gods & Kings before BNW & possibly later mods. I have mixed opinions of this first expansion & don't feel it added as much as I was expecting. The positives are the changes to city states, & gaining relations with them through quests, which I think is really good adding a lot to them. Also diplomacy & the new combat system are other positives. The expansion wasn't centred around these though, but espionage & religion, neither of which I feel add much to the gaming experience. I never liked espionage in earlier games or religion, though that was limited, so was very pleased that the much maligned Jon Shafer removed them from Civ 5 release. Unfortunately, after he left they seem to have returned, & certainly in my opinion not really adding much to the game.

I started the new game trying to get a religion up & running, which I did as Caesar founding Christianity (hardly original I know) & slowly started getting my cities over to this religion. The war hungry Huns had formed their own religion first, & even though only having one city, were spreading everywhere, & much to my annoyance taking over my main city Cumae, not Rome. Because of this, & also for revenge for Attila nearly sinking me early on, I declared war on them, finally taking him out & destroying its faith. Happy with this my faith started taking over other cities throughout the continent, making it the biggest in the world. The downside with this was my game was in a bit of a mess being behind in tech, with no real plan like I normally have, just to form this religion. I then realised how superfluous religion is in the game & would have been better off ignoring it completely, & concentrating on other things, like I plan to do in future.

If only the same could be said for espionage, which is really annoying feature, not adding any real value, & well certainly be turned off when playing any other games. In the game Netherlands reached renaissance & I got notification of a free spy, thinking great, what do I do with it. I decided to put it in Cumae, which was on the frontline & according to the ranking in the espionage screen the most powerful one I owned. This was the right guess but completely pointless. Not long after I received a message that a technology had been pinched from that city by an unknown perpetrator. I suspected the obnoxious Elizabeth, who had denounced every known civ, & was currently at war with poor Netherlands, who had lost Utrecht, giving her a border to us. Weirdly, they had stolen Iron Working, which I thought all the remaining civs on my continent would have, as all reached Renaissance before me, due to my messing around with religion. Could have been Polynesia, who are on another continent. Ignoring this, play went on for awhile until another notification, taking a more recent tech, this time naming England. Denounced England, & warned her about spying, but next turn got message another tech had been pinched, this time by long time friend William. All this despite the silly spy being actually in the city all were taken from. This has carried on, & just find espionage completely annoying & random, with little defence. I have read that the mechanic is in place to stop tech leaders, & help civilizations who are behind, though in this case I never even knew I was even ahead. I expect that is why many on this board probably like it as most play highest levels, & as such it helps catching up with AI. Unfortunately, I am just an average player, who enjoys a challenge but not to hard, & espionage is not for me, as to random & unfair.

After this I think I will ignore anymore Gods & Kings, & go straight to BNW, which changes the trade system amongst other things, & sounds more down my street. Can I ask if BNW makes Religion & Espionage any better, as I am obviously in a minority of people who doesn't like what I have seen in Gods & Kings & will certainly ignore them from what I have seen so far. Sorry, if my ramblings have gone on so long, but just wanted to tell you about what I had experienced & thought of what I had played so far. Heard a lot about this Vox Populi (community patch) mod which looks good, & might look at that, though hopefully has improvements on the tedious religion & espionage seen so far.