Differences on RFC Mac?

M.G.L

Chieftain
Hi, I play RFC on a mac and in my games I find that research is very slow. For instance I last played as Spain on Monarch difficulty and most technologies were taking 20 turns. I bee-lined straight to Astronomy and still did not discover it until around 1650 AD, making it virtually impossible to complete the UHV. Then when America spawned they had at least 10 techs more than everyone else.

After a bit of research I found that the Mac version is not being updated with the Windows versions. Was there a patch that drastically altered research rates etc or am I just a bad Civ player? Do the "dynamic research rates" mentioned in the description of the mod not work on Mac or something?

EDIT: Before anyone mentions it, am I trading techs as much as possible with the AI so thats not the issue

I'm not certain about the MAC version and stuff, but basically the research slowing seriously down after 10th city (and every next city slowing you some more). Could this be your problem?

The other problem could be you actually doesn't have enough cities / people :] but i'm just guessing.

However i think you should be able to research astronomy under 10 turns on Monarch difficulty (it's possible even in emperor difficulty). And from my experience somebody usually research Astronomy before 15th century (emperor)... usually one of the England, France, or Spain have it first.

I have about 7 decent sized cities so that can't be the problem, and I was the first to get Astronomy by about 50 or so years. I really want to play this mod but it makes it virtually unplayable when the Americans spawn :(

Poor you, just install Windows to separate partition if you are techie... I have Linux, but it's too unstable for gaming (well it's possible, but it's wasting of lot of time)... so i have also one Windows partition with Civ IV.

Poor you, just install Windows to separate partition if you are techie... I have Linux, but it's too unstable for gaming (well it's possible, but it's wasting of lot of time)... so i have also one Windows partition with Civ IV.
That's a somewhat condescending attitude... Slicing up an existing partition can be a daunting task, even for a techie. Then there's the cost of buying another OS...

And for what it's worth, I play Civ IV and RFC exclusively under Linux. Runs like a charm.

On a more constructive note, has there been any projects for making CvGameCoreDLL cross-platform? I started dabbling in it lightly once (with no concrete results), but perhaps someone smarter than me has already evaluated that task...

here in Toronto you can get a pc that will run civ IV for about $100. that would honestly be my solution if I had a mac and wanted to play civ a lot. I actually saw a laptop the other day for $89.

Firstly Im a student and I dont have money to spare to buy myself a new computer.
I just want to know if there is actually a difference between RFC on Mac and PC. Can anyone help me?

From what I've read, research increases 8% with every city above 10. It would be better if you took a 3000BC civ, and told us what the beakers needed were for some specific tech at start.

The tech rates are fine at the beginning of the game, but by medieval its more like 20 turns each time and with America techs take around 60 turns to research :/

The tech rates are fine at the beginning of the game, but by medieval its more like 20 turns each time and with America techs take around 60 turns to research :/

That isn't too specific. Choose some (lategame) civ, and note down the turns needed for a specific try. Try guilds as France on monarch, or maybe steam power as America.

Also important: is that the case through all of the game or only in the beginning? Insane tech rates are completely normal at the beginning of the game, because you only own a small set of small cities with no improvements.

Top Bottom