1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Different Human Species as a Mod

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Requests & Ideas' started by zarakand, Mar 1, 2017.

1. zarakand

zarakand Prince

Hey I've never created a mod before, but after listening to a cool interview with Yuval Noah Harari about his book Homo Deus about the possible evolution of Homo Sapiens into another species (way over simplification), I started thinking that it would be fun to see a mod with differing homo genus.

I think it would be a large undertaking because each homo species would likely take differing paths on the tech tree and perhaps the mod could start out as a scenario to conceptualize it.

Anyway, I just downloaded the SDK and would love to partner with someone more experienced if they'd be interested in discussing how to make this type of mod a reality.

Here's the interview I heard by the way: http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/02/23/homo-deus-yuval-noah-harari

2. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Emperor

Have you played Evolution: The Game of Intelligent Life? It is a nice game from the 1990s, in which you evolved species all the way from early amphibians to a sapient species. You could achieve what you want with a similar framework in place; have the player begin as an hominid, and then have him choose evolutionary paths to different sapient species in the Homo genus. And when they reach a sapient species, allow them to found settlements.

I don't really see why the tech tree should be different; most techs are generic enough that they make sense for any humanoid sapient species.

The main issue I guess would be getting the graphics for the new Homo genus species, since you would need new graphics for a lot of units; reskinning the human units might do, but even that would be a lot of work.