different units for tribes? help

elmenhorster

Chieftain
Example:
ok there are two units Trireme1 and Trireme2 (in units.gif palette) both appear on map making everything else is default, the only difference is the graphics...
two tribes let's say England and Egypt, when England discovers map making they get Trireme1 only, when Egypt discovers they get Trireme2 only, so that both civs would have different triremes in action.
How to make it happen?

With Test of Time there this is easily done by using the Advanced unit fields, section A) 'tribe may build' mask: 0 - can't; 1 - can.

With the original Civ2 the only way to achieve this is a bit more complicated. You will need to make use of the units obsolescence setting. Trireme 1 becomes obsolete (unbuildable) with (for example) Extra Advance 1 (X1) and Trireme 2 with Extra Advance 2 (X2). Use the cheat menu to give the X1 tech to all Civs you don't want to be able to build Trireme 1 and the X2 tech to all Civs you don't want building Trireme 2. After you have done this change the Extra Advance prerequisites to NO, NO so the tech cannot be researched or traded. I used the Extra Advances as an example as they are spare but you could do the same with any techs as long as you remove them from the tech tree safely. This technique will only work in scenarios, not for the normal 4000BC start game! I hope this makes sense and I haven't made any errors. It can be a little bit tricky to get right sometimes.

Top Bottom