1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulties with jumping to Prince level

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by [ICARUS], May 21, 2006.

1. [ICARUS]

[ICARUS] Chieftain

(Before you continue reading this, bear in mind this is the Civ II for Playstation version I am referring to, not the PC version the majority of you talk about.)

I've been playing my Civ II game on Warlord for ages now, until recently I thought I'd be brave and move up to Prince level :mischief:

What I found was shocking! The AI seems to have become more difficult 100 times over. In my first game of Prince ever, I encountered the Indians, in about 5 turns, who immediately demanded I handed over to them the secret of warrior code or something stupid like that, and when I refused, they declared war on me.

Fair enough... but what amazed me was the strength of their units. I had a phalanx positioned on a forest tile nearby, which is meant to give you 150% defence bonus. A phalanx's normal defence rating is 2, and a horseman unit (which is what they were using) has an attack rating of 2. So, really, my phalanx should win, right? NO! My phalanx was annhilated. I couldn't even put the horsemans health into the yellow. The indians went on to beat the phalanx fortified in my nearby city, and captured it. As they begun to move closer to my capital, I switched off and started again. This time around, I placed at least 2 phalanx's in each city before moving on, and I placed my cities close together for support.

I carried on. After encountering the Romans, guess what? I was threatened. Obviously, I refused, and war started. This time around, I gained the upper hand, and found one of their cities. After throwing my units against it like water against stone, I sent an explorer on a recon mission into their territory. What I found was shocking :eek:

They had, like, 10 cities already. And this was right at the start of the game. I was still on 3 and working towards 5. Puzzled, I continued the war, doing my best to take over their smallest cities. I never succeeded, and instead fought a defensive war against hordes of elephants, slowly beating me down. After an eternity of struggle which was halting my advancement, I quit.

Why is the AI so unfairly powerful on Prince level? Also, I noted that they advance very quickly and complete wonders in record-speed, while at the same time managing to churn out hundreds of very powerful units to pound at my cities.

At least, when I play Civ II from now on, I know that my first priority is to expand like hell... if I'm going to stand any chance of survival.

Am I alone in thinking this? Or is it just my inadequate Civ-playing skills have just brought shame onto all of you?

Please reply.

2. Peaster

Peaster Emperor

Not sure what you meant by this... could you rephrase it ?

3. Trekkie Spice

Trekkie Spice Chieftain

Sorry I can't really answer your question except to say that I can cope with Prince level OK, so I have now moved up to King level. Now I find that like you, the other cities make half a dozen discoveries to my one and build Wonders in the blink of an eye. I can only think that that is the only way they can make the levels any harder. I am now playing King by cosying up to the other cities instead of attacking them, but it does make for a very boring game.

4. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

I must say, this all sounds very odd. Did a freind give you this copy of the game? Perhaps he's playing a trick on you ...

5. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

What kind of timescale are we talking about? Are you still using Phalanxes in AD1500 or later?

King level is the most "even" level of the game. Lower levels there are limitations placed on the AI and Barb units; higher and there are bonuses for AI and Barb. You may just be experiencing for the first time the lack of those limitations on the AI, which means you have a lot to learn about advancing your civ quicker to get ahead of the AI. Rest assured that it is possible, but you need to change some of your play habits. Early expansion is one of the keys to a good game.

6. [ICARUS]

[ICARUS] Chieftain

I mean that I do not own a PC version of Civ II, and I have never played one. I only own Civ II on the console PlayStation format, and there may be differences between the PC version and the PS1 version.

7. [ICARUS]

[ICARUS] Chieftain

I'm talking about BC's.

Forgive me, the games I experienced where I got annhilated so quickly seemed to just be freak games, or something. Cus I started playing it again today as the Chinese, and I expanded like hell. Sure I still had problems, but at least there wasn't the extreme aggression. I even managed to surround the 3 Japanese cities with my own empire because I exapanded so quick. I kept demanding payments of gold, and when they refused to pay me anymore... :mischief:

I dunno why the last 2 games I played were so mega-hard. I really can't find an explanation. Maybe just continued extreme bad luck?

Btw, is "King" level REALLY the standard level? I always thought AIs had the edge from Warlord onwards, though they were just really stupid about it. I don't want to beat an enemy when I have the unfair advantage, that just takes the fun out of it. I'm gonna play in King mode from now on :D

Thanks a lot

P.S. We ARE talking about the PS1 version here, right?