1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Difficulty Levels] Which is the one with equal footing?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Reprisal, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Reprisal

Reprisal Chieftain

Hey all,

I'm about to start a new game and I was wondering which difficulty level is the one where neither the player nor the AI (including barbarians) enjoys any advantages over the other... I can't seem to find my manual, so I thought I'd drop by here and ask.

Thanks,

- Rep.

2. Binnor

Binnor High Prince

Regent's the level that player and AI are on a even footing

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

No. Multiplayer is the true level where the players are equal. on Regent, the human can do stupid things, and the AI can see where all the units are.

4. bingen

bingen Chieftain

Actually there is no level where it is even if you include the barbarians. As noted, Regent is the level where you are even with the AI players. However, all levels below deity give combat bonuses vs. the barbarians.

Detailed information is found in the editor, not in the manual.

5. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Not the invisible ones.

6. oagersnap

oagersnap Chieftain

Even though the AI can see your units, i think it ignores it.

7. Trev

Trev Chieftain

The AI does not ignore your units, and it can see them. You canprove this by leaving a worker by itself outside of the human visibility range, and the AI will head straight for it and capture or destroy it

8. Reprisal

Reprisal Chieftain

Thank you, Bingen! This is the just the information that I was looking for! :D

I suppose I'll have to mod a random map of my choosing to make it so Regent-level doesn't give any bonuses against barbarians. Methinks I'll have to increase my resolution to deal with the especially large rules window that pops up...

- Rep.

9. Denarr

Denarr Chieftain

Barbarians are always at a disadvantage. They never develop advanced units, because they can't access special resources, and dont build cities.

10. Reprisal

Reprisal Chieftain

True, but barbarians should only pose a real problem for any civilization until around the late Ancient to Early Middle Age. I was looking for the level at which barbarians -- warriors or horsemen -- would be on "equal footing" when in combat.

If one was so inclined, you could mod your barbarians to spit out archers and horsemen, or something like that...

- Rep.

11. Denarr

Denarr Chieftain

Now that you mention it, I have noticed that barbarians throw out the occasional Horseman, and when entering a new age they spawn hordes of Horsemen.
    Barbarians are never on even footing with any of the civs, because they always have conscripts (2 HP) and most civs have regulars, at the worst (3 HP). Some civs have a bonus against barbarians, unless you toggle the button that allows each civ to have differences (Unique Units, Expansionist, Religious, Scientific, etc.)

12. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Barbarians not enough?

Try modding them to archers and mounted warriors.

Or Gallic Swordsmen and Keshiks for the most masochistic.

13. Mr Furious

Mr Furious Chieftain

They're obnoxious enough as is. Changing them to Swordsment and Keshiks is like grinding your teeth on the sidewalk whilst having people park cars on your head. :p