1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty Seems Easier Than Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by toastmaster7727, Nov 2, 2016.

?

Is Immortal/Deity easier in Civ 6 compared to Civ 5?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2016.
  1. Easier

42 vote(s)
    91.3%
  2. About the same

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Harder

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. toastmaster7727

toastmaster7727 Chieftain

I have around ~750 hours played on Civ 5, but I would still struggle to win consistently on Immortal (~50% win rate). Deity difficulty would be almost impossible unless I could get very lucky situations (only ~5% winrate).
    Now I'm only 50 hours into Civ 6 and I can already reach 100% win rate on Immortal, meaning the difficulties are extremely easy compared to the previous game.

The difference for me seems to be the ability to "streamline" your desired win condition while ignoring other aspects that don't contribute. For example, you can just spam Holy Site districts for a religious victory or Campus/Production districts for science victory.

The splitting of the Science and Civics tree also means you can focus towards only one and not the other. For example you can spam Science for a Domination or Science victory while completely ignoring culture and Civics.

The Science and Civics trees themselves are also designed to have less interconnectivity compared to Civ 5. For example, you can be researching into the Atomic Era while still missing large chunks of research from as far back as the Classical Era. This allows you to unlock only what's needed for your victory sooner. Many strategies I've read seem to overvalue the usage of the boosting mechanic. As long as you unlock what you need sooner, it shouldn't be worth your time to invest into random objectives that don't help your victory condition.

Is anyone else finding Civ 6 a little too easy at these difficulties? Some things like barbarians are a lot more difficult to handle, but overall I'm finding the game too easy.

2. DonPato

DonPato Chieftain

I am finding that everything that you've said tends to be true in my games. It is extremely easy for a human player to make beelne-style decisions that the AI simply cannot replicate, and thus the player has a serious advantage over the AI. I think that the systems that exist now would actually suit online play very well because a competent human opponent would provide a level of competence and difficulty that would make the game very challenging and interesting. The problem is that the CiVI AI isn't very good at playing its own game at this time, and truly I'm not sure that it ever will be given the complexities that are present in this game.

3. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Which version of civ5 are you comparing to? At launch, 5 was much easier as well, because it was significantly less balanced. So it's really an apples to bananas comparison if you compare Civ5 after several years of post-launch development with Civ6 now.

Compared to Civ5 at launch, I'd say it's about equal, but have large error bars because it's been years ago. I was easily able to win Deity then, and am easily able to do so in Civ6.

4. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

I agree with alpaca. The game at launch is always easier. Also as said above, the reason it is easier now is simply because humans are smarter than the AI and know what to do to min/max the game.

Give it till a couple of patches and expansions. Barring that, wait till a couple of comprehensive mods come out that make changes.

5. Ornen

Ornen Warlord

Civ 6 is definitely easier than BNW. I could play on Deity in that game, but it took me a while to reach that point and when I got there, it was a struggle and I often felt locked into a narrow set of decisions.

Civ 6 is very different. I've already scaled up from Prince to Deity, which is surprisingly easy given that I've only had the game a couple weeks and don't even understand all the mechanics yet! And in this case, I feel like there's a lot I can get away with and still win. That's not always a bad thing. It's good to have options, but not if everything's viable all the time and the game is too easy.

Hopefully it gets better in time. I'm eager to see what we get with patch #1, which hopefully comes out before the end of the year.

6. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec King

You know that place by the other place...
    Yeah, it is definitely easier... currently. As mentioned though, it will get tougher once the patches and DLC's roll out. I can win Deity with relative ease now but I'm pretty sure that will change later.

7. Sogno di Volare

Sogno di Volare Chieftain

It's easier, but it is also very early in the game.

In V, I could just rush the AI and they were so bad militarily that I won often early on.

There are a lot of borderline exploit like options out there that are purely by design now (not exploits). I'd argue the Germans are one ;) The AI's own ... stalling at everything is another.

It seems balance was put on the back burner in favor of all the cool new systems. I don't mind that.

I expect this will change as the game is tuned and matures.

Dargov likes this.
  8. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Easier. Way, way, easier. You can really screw around on Deity and be in no danger of losing.

9. Kojima

Kojima Chieftain

I don't know. I won multiple games on Deity in BNW but I can't win a single game in CIV6 in emperor difficulty.

Maybe because of the tall/wide gameplay difference. In BNW, I always went Tradition and 4 cities. Easy to defend and enough to get cultural/science/diplomatic victory. I never started a war and played 400h like that.

Now in CIV6, I have to go wide so I need cities (7+), so I need to invade at least one civ and it just doesn't work.
    My unit take too much time to go on the frontline, my archer get rekt by warrior, I forget to build a melee unit to capture cities, they somehow have the +10dmg from religion...etc

And it doesn't help that your best friend can stab you from behind for no reason (yes I look at you England) after 150 turns of friendship.

10. toastmaster7727

toastmaster7727 Chieftain

I believe I started playing Civ 5 on the highest difficulties only after Gods & Kings or BNW released, I can't remember which. I wasn't aware of how easy Civ 5 was at launch so I'm glad to hear that Civ 6 might become a lot more interesting and challenging in the future.

11. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Whoa. That's some big claims there. How much screwing around are we talking about? One City Challenge? Never go out of Autocracy Challenge? Never trigger War Monger Penalties Challenge? (yes, that means never keeping an AI city).

12. OTAKUjbski

OTAKUjbski TK421

This.

When Civ V released, it was terribly easy due to a variety of exploits. It was hardly playable to me, because it was difficult to avoid exploiting the mechanics without ignoring entire portions of the game. I stopped playing pretty early on and just never got back into it; it was ruined for me.

Civ VI is definitely easier, but in a different way, because nothing feels like a huge exploit. There are certainly powerful mechanics, but none are broken, IMO.

13. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Well, except for overflow, selling horses, wider is always better, districts locking in their price, archer rush, ...

Plenty of stuff feels pretty broken to me, and I've stopped playing Civ6 for now. With Civ5, I made the mistake of playing too much while it was broken and when they managed to somewhat fix it after a couple of months, I wasn't interested enough in the game anymore to start playing it again. I plan doing it differently this time around.

14. Esperr

Esperr King

Ive found that the AI cant win on deity. They will finish all the techs for space ships but never go past the moon landing. They cant win a religious victory because they are *all* trying to go for it. Ill be damned if I ever see an AI win by domination, and the human player can always passively get enough culture to defend from a culture victory. And the AI doesn't really push it either, no resorts or great works or anything.

So if you can "not die" until like turn 100, you to can win on Deity kids.

0R4NG3 likes this.
  15. TurboJ

TurboJ Warlord

I feel VI is easier than V too. Looking at Steam achievements, althought Civ VI has only been out for two weeks, already 2.9% of players have beaten deity whereas only 1.9% have done so in Civ V despite the 5 year time for people to play it.

16. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

This is the exact same problem that Civ V had. After fighting off the first wave of aggression, you pretty much win the game by default, even on Deity. The AI almost never finished before T300 and even with the worst of turfs a T280 to T290 SV should be possible with just about any Civ.

If anything Civ VI is worse in that aspect, since they removed Diplo. The only way I see the AI winning in VI is culture or religious, one of those is rather easily countered by concentrating hugely on your own culture output.

I played my first Civ VI game on Immortal, no previous knowledge aside from some trailers, and managed to win science playing pretty brainlessly. Seems like spaceship victories now go a lot faster than they used to. I finished ~160 on Quick, which should be about ~250 or something on Regular speed? I remember my first SV in Civ V was after more than a hundred hours of gameplay and I barely did it before ~300, as Korea..

17. Deaga

Deaga Chieftain

It is much easier. I couldn't win consistently at all on CivV on Immortal difficulty, let alone Deity, but Deity on CivVI is pretty manageable. As others have said, as long as you can survive the early game (which is indeed quite tense with the super early DoWs), you are totally set to win. I honestly have no clue what the AI does later on. It builds no districts, no buildings and also no (updated) units. It just... stays there. On my current Deity game Kongo is somehow one or two tech eras ahead of me, even with less overall techs (beelines, much?) trying to invade me with armies of... Catapults and Spearmen. And he's on the Industrial era. Just... what?

That number is possibly inflated because of the exploit of "set turn limit to 1, pick russia, insta-win because bigger territory=higher score" exploit. It's still pretty baffling though, more people have won on Deity than people have won using Brazil on any difficulty level, for instance! :p

0R4NG3 likes this.
  18. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

For my first two games I played on settler for the sake of exploring all the new stuff at my leisure. On my last game I bumped it up to King and I'm still stomping all over the map effortlessly. I guess I'll have to see what it's like on Immortal and Deity but it sure feels a lot easier. The first time I played King in CiV I had to make some big adjustments.

19. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I don't know about Deity but Immortal most definitely IS a lot easier

20. 0R4NG3

0R4NG3 Prince

I was an Emperor-level player in CiV, only ever had one lucky win on Deity. In Civ VI I played 3 games on Emperor, won pretty easily but it took awhile (turn 380 or so), and then decided to try Deity and what do you know - won on turn 315 with science victory, without particularly trying (no special district placement or manual hex management).
    And the most ridiculous thing was that the AI seemed like it was going to win for awhile: America had motorised infantry when I only just managed to get muskets (around turn 200, maybe earlier) and it still failed to win, allowing me more than 100 turns to catch up.