1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital or Physical?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Mr.WorldWide, Sep 26, 2016.

?

In which format will you be buying Civ 6?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. Digital

115 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. Physical (box)

38 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Whichever option is cheaper

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Both!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr.WorldWide

Mr.WorldWide Smugly Inferior

I know most games sold these days are entirely digital and Civ 6 requires Steam to play but it's nice to get something physical for the money you spend and game boxes look as nice as books on a shelf. So do you plan on buying a physical edition of Civ VI or are you going entirely digital?

2. X_nemesis_X

X_nemesis_X Chieftain

Digital. I'm not much of a collector. I don't have a single Blu-ray. I dislike having too many things lying around.

3. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Physical, usually I buy digital copies but I reserve physical ones for Special Elite Games, and civ is among them. Sometimes I just love to touch a box (well that sounds kinda awkward when put that way)

4. X_nemesis_X

X_nemesis_X Chieftain

Hey, whatever floats your boat [emoji6]
    If I ever got a collector's edition it would be civ. Loving it since 2nd grade

5. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

I was completely fine with the digital version until they announced the Collector's Edition so now I'm physical.

6. raen

raen Coat of Arms

With Steam you have it forever, no more ruined dvd/cd. I now bought them with discount, from civ III to civ V.

But also pre-reserved the collectors edition, so I have civ games all in box :scan:

7. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Box games have steam keys in most cases.

I prefer box games now. I did not care about it before, though, and I threw away the orginal Civ III big box made of cardboard. What a mistake! It is very hard to get it now. Box games are more valuable.

8. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

Pretty much the same. I like to keep a collection of my fav games in boxes (and that includes all the civ games I owned).

I still keep the tech tree in paper that came with the civ 2.

9. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Maybe someone still has that Civ III big carboard box? If you don't need it, you can hand it over to me.

10. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I stopped buying physical copies quite some time ago. So much shelve space saved! But this time I went for the physical Anniversary edition. 25 years of engagement deserves some tangible memento :)

11. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well.. for as long as Steam exists. :D Which might be "forever" within the boundaries of our lives, but still. No guarantee.

@topic:
    The only time I ever regret only buying digital (and having been a kid who did not take good care about video game disks in the past) is when I see the AVGN's Nerd Room. Just can't decorate your apartment with a digital library.

On the bright side, this means that there's tons of space for other stuff.

12. Vasire

Vasire Chieftain

Where is the option "both"? It is Civ that we are talking about. I will buy digital just to play it on day 1.
    But I will also order a physical copy which (thanks to their marketing policy) I have to order from Singapore if I want to have an English version. And it takes a month to get here.

13. criZp

criZp Emperor

If the box looks cool and there is no steam midnight launch then I might just go for the boxed one, even if I didn't buy a boxed game in forever.

14. Haggbart

Haggbart King

Digital. Because there is finite shelf space, and my gf would just put it in a box anyway :lol:

15. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

Physical FTW....support your Brick and Mortar Stores :trouble: .....and my internet is slow...:(
    Also, i havent bought a single game in like 4eva that didn't require steam or Origin, or some other 3rd party online store. I still buy physical, unless i buy it on a whim in a steam summer sale. Any game that i actually want and has a physical release I buy from my local EB, or other supplier if EB's price sux :)

16. ww2commander

ww2commander Emperor

As mentioned, all the 'keepers' I prefer in a boxed edition. Civ series have always had a place on my shelf.

Looking at my Civ2 boxset still brings back fond memories of days when games needed little 'bells and whistles' to standout :old:

17. Gintoki89

Gintoki89 Warlord

This.

18. Acken

Acken Deity

I just buy digital these days. Things on shelves just take the dust at home.

19. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Only went with a physical copy because I wanted the awesome collectors edition...otherwise I'm pretty much exclusively digital with my PC game library at this point.

20. rastak

rastak Emperor

Both. Allow me to explain. I ordered the 25th anniversary edition because with Amazon prime I literally got it for less than the digital version. I plan on buying two copies for lan play so I'll also be ordering the digital version for my second copy.