Dilemma in settling capital

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by vranasm, Jun 26, 2010.

1. vranasm

vranasm Deity

Ok I followed advice for going worker first, leaving worked FP, so the workers came 18T, aggri researched 13T (the other option was to work crabs for getting worker T23 and 11T aggri).

After finish of worker he started to irrigate Corn, building WB with plains hill.
    I stopped at T25 (at first I wanted to go for full 40T but the situation is how it is and i would love some feedback).
    Started researching pottery. Explored Southern peninsula of continent, prepared some plan for cities (dotmap).
    Worker has 1 turn to finish farm on corn.

From the looks at map I don't see rush as viable option. so I would go for those 3 cities I planned, cottaging around cap all those flood plains. Getting gold in NW, to the west, well for those food resources I want there city.

But as usually when you get great cap, you get always not so great surroundings area...

2. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

AH after pottery and reveal those fogged tiles in the mean time. Youll probably want to found the next city to grab horse if available. Also start sending warriors you produce to spawnbust the city sites.

On the sites marked - the floodplain site by the capitol has zero production, so unless you find seafood out there maybe settle on the rice...at least adds a desert hill to the city. Another city could go 4W of the rice, on that desert tile.

I'd probably move the northern city 2E and put a city 1S of the gold. Having the city 2E instead blocks a good chunk of the continent after a border pop. The gold city would grow on cow+coast tiles and work gold at the happy cap.

The wheat/deer site is just crap, too much tundra and ice. Maybe a junky city NE of the deer, but you should really see whats on the west coast before planning cities over there. Again, all these sites might change when AH is discovered or with finding some seafood (hopefully...)

Youve got a nice supply of health resources (all three grains, deer, cow, crab) available early, but not so much on the happiness (just gold, others need calendar). Getting to monarchy early for HR is probably a good bet. I'd head there before Alpha as SB is usually awful at researching anyway.

3. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

And btw it looks like the corn farm has finished already, so switch to working it!

4. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

There are probably more barbs on Epic speed. I play Normal, so I'm not sure. When spawnbusting you will usually lose a warrior or two, but the most important thing is to think far ahead and see where you will need your spawnbuster placed - particularly the ones who are on the "frontier" of the spawnbust zone, beyond which barbs will spawn. These guys will be attacked, so it's critical to get them well fortified in advance, preferably on a forested hill. Then hopefully they can kill a warrior or two and pick up a Woodsman promotion.

In my experience of Normal speed, barb spearmen are rare. Archers are everywhere though, often long before I can get my second city out.

@ Vranasm - I would consider ignoring the deer for now and placing that city instead 2S of the cow, completely inland for a nice production site with two food and plenty of hills. Then again, Carthage coastal cities are pretty good...you need to scout that area of coast West of the wheat, there could be seafood there.

5. vranasm

vranasm Deity

it will finish next turn...or so it says when i mouse over on the worker... but I thought to finish Wb first...

6. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

I was just going by the screenshot, the tile yield shows 6:food: from what I see. No use having the corn and crab improved if the city is only at pop 1 and cant work both. Once at pop 2 the second citizen goes on the plains hill to finish hammering the work boat out, then switch to working the new crab nets.

7. vranasm

vranasm Deity

Today I had some time for this game so progressed a bit to T100.

Status is I think pretty good, teched some pot->AH->BW->myst->wri->hunt->archery->alphabet->started curr.

Got 3 cities. Because of cottages it's a bit quick teching, so it's a mess with kind of useless techs, for example i don't have any library built.

Next plan is finish cap archer, switch to some more settlers to expand more, NW city would be prod., NE city commerce with specs.
    I should start somewhere soon specs for academy -> probably in cap after I make there 1 more settler+worker.

8. vranasm

vranasm Deity

Which city would you advice me to settle next? I am inclined to settling that "deer" city, which i already prepared a bit.

I suppose i should build chariot somewhere (probably NW city) and go explore north to get some picture what awaits there.

Which direction of techs you would follow? Since i have no marble i am not inclined to aesth/lit line, maybe MC?

9. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

I changed my mind about settling in place. I think 1SW is much better. More :hammers:, more :health:, split the remaining FPs among 2 other cities.

EDIT: Oops, too late.

10. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

Definitely scout to the north and find your neighbors. Scouting is really key to making intelligent decisions early on. While you're at it, send a chariot SW to see what's down there - silver and marble often show up near the poles, along w/iron and copper, and you're leaving lots of fog for barb galleys to spawn there. Trade for sailing ASAP. If confucianism is founded via oracle, then MC is a solid choice next. Even w/o copper it may be worth building the Colossus (4:commerce: coast will make Utica a powerhouse Moai city - you'll need workshops + whipping overflow to build moai there).

11. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

Honestly the deer site should be the lowest priority. Settle the desert tile 4W of the rice next so it can be working cottages for the capitol. Then cow/gold because it will pay for itself quickly and add another happy point. In fact, go for any good site you might find in the northern fog first over the deer site. Id check around the horses for more food and explore up the coasts. Go ahead and send the archer in Hadrum up the west coast since there is another already on the way to the city.

Hunting->Archery when you have horses in the capitol? :confused: Dont see any reason for this. Definitely get a chariot or two out for exploring. The workers should have been chopping the spice forest for a monument and building more cottages in the capitol instead of pre-improving for a crap city you shouldnt be settling yet anyway (though the deer city will be great for the national park/forest preserves will all the forests, dont chop them!) You can also build a farm on the grassland tile east of Hadrum because it is irrigated by the oasis, if you didnt notice. Should have done this before starting on the mine.

Definitely for getting the libraries up and running some scientists, definitely whip for those libs. You want an academy in your capitol by 500BC at the latest here. Trade for sailing (with writing+mysticism if necessary), once you find the AIs borders you can start getting those nice 2:commerce: trade routes, especially with (possibly) currency coming in soon for extra trade routes. Speaking of slavery, are you using it? Did you whip in granaries? You should be able to alternate whips between the capitol and Utica to make sure you keep working most of the cottages (another reason I would put a city on the desert tile to the NW of the capitol).

Agree that Aest/Lit doesnt look too hot here. Your best spot to get some scientists are in Utica and the capitol. Shoot for at least 4 scientists before liberalism. Once for an academy in the capitol, one for philo bulb, and either double bulb education or use one on lib. Hmm, probably pop a scientist from the capitol before another city so it can get back to working its cottages, fire the scientist in the cap after the GS (seems the right move to me now, but it might be better to get a second from the capitol as well, just not sure). Since there is no great GPfarm obvious, maybe save NE for the deer site?

If you are able to secure some copper, either by settling or trading, then I would head for MC and the colossus. Otherwise just make your way to Civil Service, Buro is going to be a big boost. It would be nice to get math in trade, but looks like you might have to self research it. Actually, since it appears none of your nearby neighbors have religions, getting to COL first and founding one would be nice. Its also on the way to CS so this gets my vote.

For a bigger gameplan, I like going straight for lib->military tradition and using cuirs to take out some neighbors. Towards this end, unless there becomes a need for stronger military, go straight paper->edu after CS. Youll also want to throw in meditation somewhere to open up the philo bulb and build the S Paya in a few cities for failure gold if possible (youll have gold for double production speed). Try to trade for HBR, machinery and other techs needed for cuirs that arent on the liberalism tech line. Get your cities founded and work on growing them big so you can whip out universities and an army quickly. Focus all your espionage on your closest neighbor (SB?) and use spies to take down defenses for the assault. As always, build wealth/research instead of buildings that arent going to help with with whatever plan you go with.

The warrior on the deer tile should move 1SW to complete the spawnbust as he doesnt cover the southern most tiles in his current position.

12. vranasm

vranasm Deity

@green

wow that's a lot of analysis, thank for it.

Yeah I know archery is probably my biggest mistake this game yet... Dunno what I was thinking... Hunting though I thought would be usefull for that deer ehm :).

That oasis irrigation I clearly overlooked, thought that that grass is not irrigatable.
    To the western horses, I was there with warr at the most western point and to the west is no seafood, so what more is to be seen?

I am not probably in slavery yet. I know that slavery is used by pro players a lot, but I don't like it early because the happiness is on epic for 15T, but the pop grows "normally", so I am strongly limited. But probably this time I crossed the timeframe too much, will think about it. The thing is, when I whip cap+utica then I won't work cottages...and some of them are giving 5 commerce now.
    But granary+library+courthouse are usual targets which I whip esp. in new cities. Cap has a lot of production and it's tough call.

When we're at it. Monument for Cha leader (and I am one), give +1 happy, would you build it in cap? I checked yesterday and it's 4 turns in max prod. mode of cap. I am not so good at civ math, for me it's worth it...

generating GPP is a pain for me, not so much in no-cottage game, but everytime I decide for cottages I realize after awhile that I start working scientists around 1k BC mark, without cottages I am there much sooner (sometimes like 1800BC). It probably depends on cottages (esp. fin) generating "enough" commerce to tech and I am not enough stimulated for generating. I am not Phi though, so 4 GPP would be a lot of turns.

Getting copper...yeah I see the point...will recheck possibilities in trade, but it will be costly.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

1. Settle in place is ridiculously obvious
    2. Numidian cavalry suck against cities. I'd rather have normal HAs.
    3. Worker first ----> AG is very obvious too for a 6F tile (#1 yield by far).
    4. BW can be delayed as there are more than enough good tiles w/o chops in the BFC
    5. But not necessarily for AH. Early run at pottery is worth considering for very strong 3f3c tiles to go with 6F and 4F3C. At pop 6 this can be used to work 3 cottages + special tiles to crank workers/settlers (and there is no way you'd want to whip them then). After initial warriors outsource production of military to another city.