Diplo AI and map size

BobTheTerrible

Just Another Bob
I'm wondering what the community's thoughts are specifically in relation to diplomacy AI and map size.

I think that if you're like me, and want to play a game packed with civs and city-states on a smaller than recommended map size, you'll end up with lots of aggressive AIs and near-universal tense relations.

On the other hand, if you play with recommended or less than recommended AI for the map size, perhaps the AI is friendlier.

My current game is King, Large map with 22 AI. My continent has been torn up in war for a long time, and the alliances are always shifting. I think much of the reason is because everyone covets each others' lands.

How about everyone else? Explain your typical map size and AI number and the type of diplomatic relations you normally see.

I typically play large or huge maps, standard number of civs for each (10 & 12, I think). Either continents or pangaea, mostly. Agree that relations are normally easier when civs are more spread out, but is that really a surprise? When you're all packed tighter than a sardine can, of course things are going to be tense with a lot more squabbling over land, resources, and so forth. Even on a big map, most of your disputes are with your closest neighbors, at least for the first few thousand years, because they are the ones directly competing with you for living space and vital resources. If everybody's your closest neighbor, well... :)

Agree that relations are normally easier when civs are more spread out, but is that really a surprise?

Well, it seems to be much more of a big deal in Civ V than in Civ IV. I thought maybe this was one of the reasons people think diplomacy in Civ V is so borked - maybe it's not AS bad playing with civs more spread out.

I'm wondering what the community's thoughts are specifically in relation to diplomacy AI and map size.

I think that if you're like me, and want to play a game packed with civs and city-states on a smaller than recommended map size, you'll end up with lots of aggressive AIs and near-universal tense relations.

On the other hand, if you play with recommended or less than recommended AI for the map size, perhaps the AI is friendlier.

My current game is King, Large map with 22 AI. My continent has been torn up in war for a long time, and the alliances are always shifting. I think much of the reason is because everyone covets each others' lands.

How about everyone else? Explain your typical map size and AI number and the type of diplomatic relations you normally see.

The AI relations can get pretty insane playing with a smaller map and alot of Civs. I've tried a few tiny and small maps with 20 civs, and you are almost guaranteed to be attacked (although the ridiculous amount of Open Borders you can sell will easily afford you some defense). I completely stop paying attention to all the changes in politics and just attack the closest city that looks nice. All the requests and statements by the Civs gets pretty damn annoying though

20 Civs on Small? That sounds amazing. I should try that sometime...

Two of the things that piss the CPU off are "They covet your land" and "You settled near them even though they told you not to". Both are more common on smaller maps, so there you go.

Top Bottom