diplo question

robboo

Deity
Ok I see many people say both in here and in the general forum that diplomancy is difficult with 5. Could someone explain how so. I am assuming that you meet someone and become friends( allies?) and then anyone else is an enemy? Or am I missing something. What makes it tricker with 5 why couldnt somene have 2 allies?

Has your friend ever turned on you when you thought they were going to help in an attack. Civ a and Civ B plan attack on Civ C. B attacks on Civ A once his troops have deployed to C.

because what if you were on the side with just 2 teams, vs 3 teams, would result in the problem annhilation of your civ worse still would be 1 team against the rest.

OK but how do you get allies...is it you are my friend in the forums or here is tech or first person you meet?

Whatever you want - you don't have to be allies with the first you meet, but if you want to become long term allies with them and try to advance past the others, that's your choice. You can have as many allies as you want - just make sure they don't seek to hurt you, backstab you, or gang up on you. Even in things like games between different civ sites I've seen sides gang up 3v1. It's just a question of who you trust - weigh each decision.

robboo said:
OK but how do you get allies...is it you are my friend in the forums or here is tech or first person you meet?

Its however you want really, diplomacy is conducted by e-mail generally, you basically sign an alliance that way, i cant really say tonnes about how the civ3 alliance system works for my team as there are opposing team members here :)

robboo said:

Well thats a tough question robboo, there are many factors involved. Firstly communication is carried out through e-mails, PM's and sometimes the two FA's we get together to chat on MSN or AIM to help speed through a trade or offer.

As to how you get friends or allies and how you keep them depends on a lot of things, like timing of the meeting, objectives, what other civs are doing, relative global standing, ect. This can lead to short term friendship, long term or a TNT style go to war after exchanging greetings. But at the very end of the day, no ones going to be your friend for the whole game, because everyone wants to win. So all in all diplomacy is a very vital part of the game, and can be the difference between winning and losing.

Edit- Just remembered civ4 has an permanant alliance victory, will this be switched on or off for the game, because that could have a big influence on strategy. Personally i think it should be off, because otherwise teams will join up and you'll end up having only two teams in practise.

Top Bottom