Diplomacy 5: Vanilla with a Twist

LightFang

"I'm the hero!"
Introduction

So I felt like hosting a forum game, since I still feel bad about The Long March (which is going up sometime, I swear!), so I'll be running a really easy game of Diplomacy.

Remember that if you don't know how to do anything in this game, you can always ask the GM, who will be nice enough to answer your questions. Things like proper order format, proper shorthand, and the like will be answered.

An Overview
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_(board_game)

Rules of Warfare
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/rulebooks/2000AH4th.pdf

The Adjudicator
http://jdip.sourceforge.net/

Special Notes
We are playing the Loeb9 Variant of Diplomacy with Wing Units, which entails the following:
  • Wing Units: Planes may cross both land and sea but may not capture supply centers.
  • 8th Player: Spain.
  • 9th Player: Norway.
  • Icy Seas: The extra space, the Arctic Ocean, has special rules. A unit in the Arctic Ocean may not be given orders in the fall turn. No unit may attempt to move into this space during a fall turn.
  • Difficult Passable Borders: Passages between Cordoba and North Africa and between Naples and Sicily is allowed by armies. This move is made with a force equal to the number of supports (as opposed to the normal one plus the number of supports). Fleets may not make this move; support cannot be given in this fashion. This form of movement is very similar to a convoyed movement and an unsupported unit will have no effect on the destination province when cutting support or banning retreats.
  • Various Map Changes: See for yourself on the map.

Orders
Order due dates will always be displayed on the front page, first post, unless it gets eaten. :p If I'm late updating, I won't punish you guys; if you didn't turn orders in, you have until I start updating. If everybody gets orders in before the deadline, I'll update before the deadline and the game will move along faster. Orders will generally be due every three days, but extensions are liberally handed out if asked for in advance.

You don't need to follow these recommendations, but they'll make my life, and therefore yours, easier. These are just some things that you can put in your orders.

• Title: Diplomacy 5 - Country - Time
    Example: Diplomacy 5 - Austria - Spring 1916
  • Movements: If you're familiar with the board game, do it like that. If you're not, you can just dictate it. Things like A(Vie)->Gal; A Vie - Gal; A Vie -> Gal are all good.
  • Statement of Intent/War Aims: The only optional part of your orders! Just a brief description of what you're going for and stuff. Makes the game interesting for me, since I can see all the backstabbing and stuff building up. Again, don't do it if you're lazy, but if you're like most people, you like talking about yourself. Plus, you know, seeing your goals on paper makes them that much more achievable.
The Cast
Austria: Methos
England: Backwards Logic
France: Firestorm94
Germany: Tasslehoff
Italy: Niklas
Norway: Stuck in Pi
Spain: jeps | Renata as temporary leader
Turkey: Izipo Chandrasekhar

9th: Russia: GoodGame Charles Li

The Next in Line
1. Chandrasekhar
2. Renata
3. Ekolite
4. Charles Li

State of Affairs
Spring 1918 (Awaiting Retreat)

Events Unfold
May 16, 2009 at 20:00 PST (GMT -8)

Current Military Situation
Spoiler :

Political Situation as of Spring 1918
Spoiler :

Military Log
Update 1: Spring 1914 Movement. Izipo dropped before the game started due to busyness; Chandrasekhar tapped for Turkey.
Update 2: Fall 1914 Movement. Ekolite dropped from reserves list due to not knowing how to play the game; GoodGame quit because things were going bad. Charlies Li replaced GoodGame.
Update 3: Fall 1914 Adjustment.
Update 4: Spring 1915 Movement. Our first retreat!
Update 5: Spring 1915 Retreat.
Update 6: Fall 1915 Movement.
Update 7: Fall 1915 Retreat.
Update 8: Fall 1915 Adjustment.
Update 9: Spring 1916 Movement.
Update 9.5: Spring 1916 Retreat.
Update 10: Fall 1916 Movement.
Update 11: Fall 1916 Retreat.
Update 12: Fall 1916 Adjustment. Charles Li dropped from Russia because things were going bad; not bothering to tap Renata for Russia, since the situation looks pretty hopeless.
Update 13: Spring 1917 Movement. jeps is busy; Renata tapped for Spain.
Update 14: Spring 1917 Retreat.
Update 15: Fall 1917 Movement.
Update 16: Fall 1917 Retreat.
Update 17: Fall 1917 Adjustment. Russia is officially eliminated. Eight countries remain.
Update 18: Spring 1918 Movement.

Last edited:
in. wings? meh. loeb9? cool.

interest: spain. would be cool, unusual country not often there.

Oooh, shiny ! A classic Diplomacy, I'll have to brush up my skills and refresh my memory because it's been a long time since I've played one, and I have no idea what you mean by Loeb9.

But I'll have a go at it with Turkey, thanks.

Oooh, shiny ! A classic Diplomacy, I'll have to brush up my skills and refresh my memory because it's been a long time since I've played one, and I have no idea what you mean by Loeb9.

But I'll have a go at it with Turkey, thanks.

All Loeb9 means is right there in the first post. The map's been fiddled with, there are additional rules involving difficult land crossings, and there are two new players.

Sign me up! Woo, for once I see a signup thread before it's all filled up! :D

EDIT: I will masochistically pick Italy, I never played them before, plus it's fun to be next to Izipo. :mischief:

Ill sign up. Is this strictly pen and paper, in the forum?

Edit: I'll go with Russia or Norway.

Signing up as England

IN!!!!!!!

I'll take whichever nation GoodGame doesn't take.

Ill sign up. Is this strictly pen and paper, in the forum?

Yeah. I have an adjudicator that I just realized would be a good idea to link to in the opening post. :p You send your orders to me, and I just let everything happen.

Just one more person and this game is good to go.

All right. Since this is the opening set of moves, I am giving everybody an extra day to conduct diplomacy and whatnot.

Orders are due at 20:00 PST on Monday.

Since Good Game has yet to officially make his claim, i will claim Russia as my own. He can have Norway.

Put me in as a reserve; I'm too busy to play now, but might be able to if someone drops out. Of course I'd have to learn how, first ... :hmm:

Since Good Game has yet to officially make his claim, i will claim Russia as my own. He can have Norway.

I'm not flipping it around on the offhand chance that someone has done some diplomacy already.

If you wanted Russia, you should have specifically claimed it! :p

Ah well, that will teach me not to pay attention to forum games.

You can sign me up as a reserve if you have need of one.

EDIT: That adjudicator looks interesting.

Fine... I'll be Norway.

Since there already is a bunch of reserves I will be lurking this! Definately sounds fun, let me know if you guys are planning on starting another :p

Top Bottom