1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy is pretty weak in this game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by jasper, Nov 19, 2016.

1. jasper

jasper Chieftain

I played a little Galactic Civ3 and the one thing that impressed me about that game over this Civ was the usefulness and viability of diplomacy.

In galactic civ3, diplomacy was something you could base your strategy around. you could reliably get people to join wars and trade for all kinds of stuff.

It seems like in Civ 6 the developers have a hard time balancing diplomacy. they are too afraid of players taking "advantage" of the AI's. Everything has to be under the AI's terms and timing. You cannot plan joint wars against your neighbors but only the AI can ask you for a joint war.

2. kampori

kampori Warlord

Yes, diplomacy is probably the weakest part of this game.

I've managed to ask an ally for a joint war only once. Several have asked me for one.

Friendship means nothing and frankly in my experience is only used by people who plan to sneak an army close to me without me noticing, and then surprise DoW me.

Trading-wise is pretty decent. Civs seems keen to trade luxuries and resources often. And are happy to pay extortionate prices for a captured spy (which is nice when you have spies with Counterspy upgrade and quartermaster. I tend to capture spies every few turns)

I've only had a few times of allies asking for research programs.

Compared to CiV, it feels very lackluster

3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

After the fall patch, I declared war on a city-state. ALL the leaders denounced me (Pericles, Roosevelt and Barbarossa were not in-game btw). Then they held that grudge for decades on end. Even though I never took the city. Warmonger penalties are still overblown. There's no leader in-game that respects a fellow warmonger. Even Gorgo. -_-

4. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

Beats having someone declare war on you then you being flagged as a warmonger.