1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy screens are actually getting worse

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nvalzxi87, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nvalzxi87

nvalzxi87 Chieftain

2. Valdyr

Valdyr Warlord

So you're complaining about the quality of the static pictures you chose to turn on, because they don't compare to Civ 4's animations? Got it.

3. Tanthil

Tanthil Chieftain

Civilization I
    diplomacy screen background changed depends on goverment
    animation was minimal but you were able to see different leaders emotions

Civilization II
    there was no leaders, on diplo screen you speak with ambasadors [imo those ambasadors animation was more dinamic than in civ V]
    diplomacy screen backround was static

4. carlisimo

carlisimo Chieftain

If you turn animations back on, 1/3 of your problem is gone!

I don't notice the music issue, but I would’ve liked different costumes per era.

5. etipton3

etipton3 Chieftain

"for people like me who have to set it to static pictures, the flaws start to become more obvious. " Quote from luisfox37

Have you seen the Aztec animations when disussing with them? Very nice, almost even intimidating, i'd suggest taking off the static pics, your basically complaining about the settings you pick. My animations are amazing and add to the dramatic experience the game offers

6. DarkMaster

DarkMaster Warlord

I for one really like the current version. I just wish they gave us an option to check the map before accepting a deal. Civ IV was guilty of this as well.

7. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

One thing I miss is the 6-degrees of 'connection' of diplomacy summary. It is much simpler than the current system where It's hard to check what deals you have currently and who is at war with whom.

They need to bring back a more optimized diplo summary screen

8. Tanthil

Tanthil Chieftain

I think there is also one option with missing in civ V diplo screen: short brief of my all relations with other civs, so i will know if i can sign e.g pact of secrecy against other civ or not

9. the streak

the streak Chieftain

lol are you serious? You're complaining that there's no animations when you specifically selected the static (i.e. no animations) picture??? I can't believe this...

10. Justicex

Justicex Prince

It all is good to me, but I am fortunate enough to have a pc where I don't need to turn the animations off.

The music is a double-edged sword I think. The more accurate it is, along with multiple tracks would be a huge expense for the devs. I tooo would like more accurate music, but what is there gets the job done. It lets you know what mood the leader is in and that's all that counts. I think there is a way to mod in your own music if you're willing to put the time in to learn how.

The clothes, while I don't agree is a "fail" necessarily, would be a nice touch. It was a shock to me to see Catherine in a flowing gown after her "rebel-style" look in Revolutions.

Speaking of Revolutions, here's one for you "once they went console, the series is doomed" people to chew on. The leaders never changed looks, but we had animated advisors whose look DID change based on era. The Diplomacy screen was much easier to find and use, but I find Civ V's chart style more all-encompassing and useful.

So for those of you out there that really wanna harsh on something, cases can be made where even the "console" itineration of Civ did more things right than Civ V vanilla.........

11. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Which shouldn't be that difficult. :lol:

12. gunter

gunter King

This is a must, you are right !

How can we play without knowing the big picture ?

It is a shame indeed.

13. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Wow, Churchill has really lost a lot of weight. He looks a little sickly, and I'm not sure the librarian look with the bun and pearls are really working for him?

And Queen Wilhelmina isn't exactly winning any beauty pageants either. You can't let yourself go just because you're royalty, dear. :mischief:

14. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

Yes, I loved that! Bring it back, pls. :)

And don't bag on the OP for not knowing the leaders moved. He probably has a computer so bad that when CivV started it automatically made the leaders static. That's what happened with mine. (The fog of war automatically changed to black, also)

15. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Chieftain

i love it in civ 4 when Catherine get's mad and smacks you. ouch.

but in civ 4 diplo seems to be a lot more of a gradual escalation. i.e. Catherine will pout, or turn menacingly, then slap you when she's furious.

with Civ 5, it just seems AI hate you for being you from the start. and it is hard to read when AI civs will DoW you, i just now assume it's always.

16. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

The leaders in Civilization V are not static,they have animations.

17. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

It should be part of the vanilla game -- No Doubt. But until it is, for that and more, just grab the InfoAddict Mod.

18. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

I completely agree, this simple feature is very missed!

Civ 3:
    Clothing era changes looked ridiculous. I was glad these were gone in 4. (Personal opinion of course)

Civ 5: The leaders speak their native language in the diplomacy screen!
    The animations (which you have turned off...Fail) help to reflect and create a personality for each leader that was not really so, with previous games in the franchise.

E.x. Augustus is apathetic to your approach of him - he regards himself to highly over you. Monty (as mentioned) is incredibly fearsome. Sulieman seems very inviting, until you make him angry. Ghandi's slow movements are very calming and peaceful.

Compared to the civ3 leader heads that just "nod".

19. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

One word, dexters, one word.

InfoAddict.

20. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

People, look at the date of this thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.