[GS] Diplomacy still needs (a lot of) work

MrRadar

Deity
Storytelling time :)
Immortal, standard, continents.
I'm Inca, in the middle of my landmass, SW – Norway, W – France, NW – Hungary, NE Cree, SE Nubia.
Mali and Brazil are on the overseas landmass, together with almost all city states.

My neighbours went after each other, so for me it turned out a peaceful limited expansion start while building up relations with France, Hungary and Norway and frowning upon Nubia, as she was rolling over the Cree.

The Cree had almost completely flat lands, so Nubia's Pitatis must have reigned supreme, she took them out in two wars, last one in Medieval.

Then she teamed up with overseas Mali against me. My mountainous lands offered her very few paths of invasion, so she concentrated on one of my cities. I killed all 4 or 5 knights she sent against me, but when she started offering peace, there still were quite a few Pitatis in my lands, and my defending city she's been targeting was kinda running out of city walls, although her power score was hurting. Anyway, I was in the middle of building universities and also was in no mood to continue the fight for the moment, so we agreed to peace.

I have never set a foot in her lands, she had troops in mine instead, my city was being threatened, probably I would have agreed to pay her off for peace, but it was Amanitore who paid me a lot of her gpt in the peace deal.

1 TLDR;
- war score and peace deal terms programming still need more work. The terms offered by the AI are way too generous. Why wouldn't AI save and buy more units for all that gold instead of giving it to the player?

Fast-forward to Industrial-Modern times.
Nubia is restless again and DOWs me once more. This time the peace deal sees the reduction of Nubia in size and resurrection of the Cree and their restoration to their former territory, more or less, as long as they manage to keep it with their loyalty.

Side notes:
the moment I liberate the first Cree city, they enforce borders and my units are kicked out of their territory to potential harm by Nubian troops. What the heck No 1.
Then, resurrected Poundmaker is neutral to me and won't agree to a speedy friendship and I must pay him for open borders to continue liberation of his lands. What the heck No 2.
It is the evolution of this element of diplo in Civ V all over again, only there, after a few years, it has been resolved by giving the liberated nation 'Recalled to Life' +150 diplo attitude outright. Why do we have to deal with the same bs and long period of iterative improvements (if any are to come) again in Civ VI?

OK, eventually the Cree are befriended and allied to me, and Poundmaker is now my wee baby brother whom I care about and look after. He is also twenty techs behind the next hopeless tech laggard, so people are picking on him.

I get in the way of my other allies wanting to bite off some Cree land by blocking them off with my units, but here in sails a Pedro Number Two and helps himself to a former costal Cree city which was flipped into a Free City and was continuing to flip back to them. Eventually the city flips back to the Cree nevertheless, but now Pedro has quite a few units in the environs, and the Cree look threatened and I am quite rather miffed about it all too.

Newsflash – Mali conquered Vilnius on their overseas landmass, where I had envoys, so next turn I call a special WC session.

Next turn events:
1. Pedro declares on the Cree. My alliance triggers, Inca is finally at war with Brazil, so I'll show that bushy-bearded upstart how to pick on the weak. I'm quite pleased.
2. WC is in special session, voting is completed, Emergency against Mali passes. Good.
3. It appears, Pedro joined the emergency as well, but Poundmaker did not, so I as Inca auto-peaced out with Brazil, and Pedro is now free to do with the Cree as he pleases, and proceeds to take their capital, while I must look on helplessly. I want to drop both my nukes, sadly Rio is not in range of my bomber and you can no longer nuke your (forced on) allies anyway.

2 TLDR;
- please give the caller of the special Emergency session the possibility to refuse potential coalition members, who are at war with the caller; or just make it plain impossible for them to join in, to avoid auto-peace. It is diplomatic pig's breakfast otherwise.

Also, why it is not possible to gift or sell units to the allies?

I remember having a continent game not long ago where I got a joint war declaration by 2 off continent civs so that still happens.
Some things like less diplomatic points for warring have helped but are not to do with diplomacy. The fact dip points give you stupid sums at the moment means warring is not so OP in comparison.
Grievances have gone some way but are more of a minor hassle.
The real diplomacy stuff underneath is still there and works, just not what people care about and not done well enough to matter much.
At least you cannot nuke your allies anymore.

Top Bottom