Diplomacy text: ActualQuotes for Warlords

Willowmound

Wordbug
Joined
Sep 10, 2005
Messages
2,228
Location
Afloat
ActualQuotes for Warlords

Version 3.5

This mod replaces the original leader-specific diplomacy text with text based on attributed quotes. Some of the quotes are famous, some not so famous, and all have been implemented as seamlessly as possible, so as to become a natural part of the text. Many quotes have been paraphrased or tweaked to make this possible.

Essentially, AI leaders will talk a bit more like they did in real life, or (in the cases of the more ancient ones) the way they wished to be remembered. For example, Ramesses II’s words are from the stone tablets he himself commissioned, while Churchill’s many famous quotes have proved a gold mine for a mod like this.

Some leaders have in fact so many good quotes, I have given them two, or even three, first-contact greetings. The game will choose one of the greetings randomly. When you meet one of these leaders for the first time in your next game, he may greet you differently than last time.

If you decide to try this new diplomacy text, bear in mind that under most circumstances there is only a small-ish chance the leader with whom you're speaking will use text that is specific to him or her. There is a pool of generic responses that is used more often than those specific to a leader. Since the previous versions, however, I have increased the chance of getting leader-specific text slightly.

For more details on the quotes and sources, please see the readme-file. I have used approximately 225 individual, actual quotes, so there is quite a lot of new text.


**UPDATE Feb 2007** (Note: patch 3.51 uploaded 13/2/07 did not work properly. This file has now been replaced with 3.51b, which works.)

Patch 3.51b

This patch fixes a bug that caused vassal-related AI diplomacy text to not show. Get it here.

This is a single file that should be extracted to ...CustomAssets\XML\GameInfo

Let it overwrite the old file.

**


New to v3.5:

This version adds more than 30 new quotes, fixes some mistakes and makes some changes to text from earlier versions. See the 'spoiler' below for an almost complete list of changes.

Spoiler :
Fixed some Firaxis bad grammar

Fixed some Firaxis wrong use of capital letters

Changed some Firaxis text in the 'bragging' category

Reduced the length of some of Ramesses' quotes

Slightly increased the chance of getting leader-specific text when leaders demand tribute

New quotes:

Added Frederic: 'refuse to talk'

Added Saladin: 'no peace'; 'friendly greeting'; 'furious greeting'

Added Mao: second 'furious greeting'

Added Elizabeth: second 'friendly greeting'; second 'refuse to talk'; second 'no peace'

Added Victoria: second 'furious greeting'

Added Napoleon: second 'furious greeting'; second 'friendly greeting'

Added Bismark: second 'friendly greeting'

Added Alexander: second 'friendly greeting'

Added Gandhi: second 'furious greeting'; second 'friendly greeting'

Added Tokugawa: second 'friendly greeting'

Added Julius: second 'friendly greeting'

Added Stalin: second 'friendly greeting'; second 'furious greeting'

Added Churchill: second 'friendly greeting'; second 'furious greeting' (+ fixed broken original 'furious greeting')

Added third alternative first-contact text for:
Roosevelt
Washington
Mao
Louis XIV
Napoleon
Gandhi
Julius Caesar
Churchill

Added second alternative first-contact text for:
Stalin


Get the files here!


To use the ActualQuotes diplomacy mod, unzip to:

…My Documents\My Games\Warlords\CustomAssets\XML\

Or, if you want to add to a specific mod only:

…Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods\[YourMod]\Assets\XML\

Enjoy! :)

***
MAC USERES: Install the mod normally, then get this patch, kindly made available by Narmox.

Looking for the VANILLA version? Go here!
 
Some screenshots:

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
 
Do let me know if you find any bugs or other rubbish.

That goes for everyone else too!

(I'd want to hear about it even if it's just an out-of-place comma ;) )
 
This is great!:goodjob:
At first I thought you forgot the CIV4DiplomacyInfos.xml file and I spent an hour fixing my own. Oops.:mischief:
Doing that, I noticed these things in your CIV4DiplomacyText.xml:
  1. Mehmed's tribute tag is "Menes" (AI_DIPLO_DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_STRONGER_MENES_1) and submission was misspelled "aubmission" there.
  2. Frederick has no AI_DIPLO_REFUSE_TO_TALK message.
  3. AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_FREDERICK_1 mentions Isabella in the non-English text.
  4. AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_ISABELLA_1 should not mention "Isabella" by name but instead use the parameter [OUR_NAME].
  5. How sly of you to correct the US English spellings (honor, civilization, offenses, etc.) to British without mentioning it!:D
I didn't care for Ragnar's rhymes or a couple of Ramesses' really long quotes, but that's just personal preference.
 
Well of course looking at the XML does not say what it looks like in game, and I like the rhymes, they are funny.
 
Hadrean said:
Well of course looking at the XML does not say what it looks like in game, and I like the rhymes, they are funny.

The rhymes are a matter of opinion, but the XML is exactly what tells the game what text to show, so it will "say what it looks like in game." What do you think the XML is for?:rolleyes: :lol:
 
Armandeus said:
The rhymes are a matter of opinion, but the XML is exactly what tells the game what text to show, so it will "say what it looks like in game." What do you think the XML is for?:rolleyes: :lol:
No what I mean is that in game it may end up a little buggy, even if the XML is corret, or at least that is what it looks like in some mod that I have played..
 
Hadrean said:
No what I mean is that in game it may end up a little buggy, even if the XML is corret, or at least that is what it looks like in some mod that I have played..

That's why I reported the mistakes. He asked that we report mistakes, and I obliged. If we fix the mistakes, the bugginess will go away.
 
Armandeus said:
This is great!:goodjob:
At first I thought you forgot the CIV4DiplomacyInfos.xml file and I spent an hour fixing my own. Oops.:mischief:
Doing that, I noticed these things in your CIV4DiplomacyText.xml:

Oh good, feedback! :)

Armandeus said:
1 Mehmed's tribute tag is "Menes" (AI_DIPLO_DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_STRONGER_MENES_1) and submission was misspelled "aubmission" there.

Ah. This is a Firaxis mistake. Including the typo. Only Mehmed's first-contact text is new. I simply haven't found enough quotes. I'll fix this in the next version though. Thanks.

Armandeus said:
2 Frederick has no AI_DIPLO_REFUSE_TO_TALK message.

Originally, not all the leaders came with specific text in all the categories. I made new entries where I had enough quotes. I guess I didn't have a suitable quote for Frederick. Might look into it again for the next version.

Armandeus said:
3 AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_FREDERICK_1 mentions Isabella in the non-English text.

That's because I copy and paste the above entry when making new entries, then change the tags and English text accordingly. Vanilla Civ4 out-of-the-box had no first contact text for Frederick at all.

Armandeus said:
4 AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_ISABELLA_1 should not mention "Isabella" by name but instead use the parameter [OUR_NAME].

So true. Thanks! :goodjob:
Will be fixed.

Armandeus said:
5 How sly of you to correct the US English spellings (honor, civilization, offenses, etc.) to British without mentioning it!:D

Well, what can I say... :mischief:

Armandeus said:
I didn't care for Ragnar's rhymes or a couple of Ramesses' really long quotes, but that's just personal preference.

I find Ragnar's somewhat iffy myself. If only Firaxis had used another leader, any other leader. I've got tons of 13th century sagas on my bookshelf, so much to choose from, so many kings, so many good quotes... But Ragnar is a shadowy character, and at least two thirds of the stuff attributed to him he could not have done in one lifetime, or indeed on this planet. But there you have it. I uses what I gots. :)

Edit: I talk a little bit about the source of Ragnar's quotes in the Readme-file as well.

Feedback much appreciated!
 
Well don't look at me! :)

I'm only funny occasionally, and there's no way I'd set out to actively do comedy!
 
Top Bottom