1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy.txt Tutorial

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides' started by Gray Wolf, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Winter Wolf

Diplomacy.txt Tutorial.

Ok, I want to help everyone and clarify some things about the diplomacy.txt file.

The diplomacy index is zero based. Rome is the first civilization and is "index 0".

There are 32 countries in the diplomacy.txt file from the conquests game.
    Index 25 (the 26th civilization) is for Austria. Here is the list:

0 Rome >> Columbia
    1 Egypt
    2 Greece
    3 Babylon
    4 Germany
    5 Russia
    6 China
    7 America
    8 Japan
    9 France
    10 India
    11 Persia
    12 Aztecs
    13 Zululand >> Algeria
    14 Iroquois >> Argentina
    15 England
    16 Mongols >> Australia
    17 Spain
    18 Vikings >> Canada
    19 Ottomans >> Turkey
    20 Celts >> Vietnam
    21 Arabia
    22 Carthage >> Pakistan
    23 Korea
    24 Sumeria >> Morocco
    25 Austria >> [Unused] [note: I'm not using this index number but I could if I wanted to...]
    26 Hittites >> Syria
    27 Portugal >> Brazil
    28 Dutch >> Indonesia
    29 Byzantines >> Thailand
    30 Inca
    31 Maya >> Nigeria

So in my .BIQ file, I have a country named Pakistan and I set the field called diplomacy index=22.
    And in the diplomacy.txt file, I changed any "Carthage language" to "Pakistan language".

The Dutch (index 28) have a lot of "wooden shoe language". So I set the diplomacy index for Indonesia = 28
    and then I found all of the Dutch language and got rid of the wooden shoe language and replaced it
    with Indonesia language.

Another example. The Maya have a ton of "jaguar this" type language on index 31 (the 32nd civilization in the diplomacy.txt file). So I had to change Mayan text to Nigerian text. I replaced "jaguar" with "lion" and it now seems like Nigeria, an African country, instead of the Maya.

Some of the sections in the diplomacy.txt file have 1 text entry for each civilization. Others may have 3 text entries for each civilization or maybe even 6 entries per civilization... It just depends on the settings (civ=1, mood=1, power=1, etc...).

Anyway, whenever a section has 3 entries for each civilization, it would work like this:
    The first 3 entries would be for index=0 (Rome/Columbia).
    The next 3 entries would be for index=1 (Egypt)
    The next 3 entries would be for index=2 (Greece).
    etc...

So to help myself find/change entries easily, I use notepad++ which shows the line numbers of the diplomacy.txt file and I also use excel to help me calculate which line number that a certain civilization starts on.

So, here is an example. Say there is a section with 3 entries for each civilization and the first civilization
    (Rome/Columbia in my case) is on line 1074.

And let's say I need to review and possibly change the text for the Hittites (Syria in my case).

So in my spreadsheet, I list all 32 civilizations in order. Then I put the line number for the first civilization (1074). Then I determine where the next civilization should start (1077) (because Rome/Columbia, in this example, takes up 3 lines ... 1074, 1075, and 1076). After you put those first 2 numbers in, you can highlight 1074 and 1077 with your mouse and then double click on the bottom right corner and it will fill the series all the way down...And you can quickly see that the Hittites (Syria in my case) starts at 1152. And that the last country, the Maya (Nigeria in my case) starts at 1167.

Rome/Columbia 1074
    Egypt 1077
    Greece 1080
    Babylon 1083
    Germany 1086

Hittites/Syria 1152
    Inca 1164
    Maya/Nigeria 1167

Anyway, this makes it very easy to review each civ's diplomacy text. It takes time but it's easier than
    counting lines and trying to figure out which lines are for Germany or France, etc...

Even doing things this way, it took me about 6 hours to review each of my new civilization's diplomacy text.
    That's because the file is pretty large and I created 14 new countries...

But Notepad++ is just awesome because it shows the line numbers and it really helps to see that
    when editing the diplomacy.txt file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    You've probably noticed that a lot of the diplomacy indexes are set = -1...

Well, if you set an index = -1, the application will determine the "actual index number" based on the .BIQ slot position of the civilization...

note: slot Position = 0 = Barbarians... don't worry about them.

With slot positions 1-25, you can just subtract one. Example, the 25th civilization in the .BIQ editor (usually Sumeria) will be index=24. And if you set the diplomacy index = -1, the application will use index = 24.

But you can't just subtract 1 all of the time to calculate the index number...because the application skips index = 25 (Austria) and some of the civilizations don't follow the same rules...

Here's the rest of them:

Slot 26 (Hittites) uses index=26. (it skips index=25 (Austria)).
    slot 27 (Dutch) uses index=28.
    slot 28 (Portugal) uses index=27. (Why the Dutch and Portuguese are backwards I'll never know...)
    slot 29 (Byzantines) uses index=29.
    slot 30 (Inca) uses index=30.
    slot 31 (Maya) uses index=31.

Anyway, it can get very confusing, so it is best to just go by the list, and set the actual index number yourself, especially if you have added and/or renamed a bunch of countries in the .BIQ editor.

One last note: Use the diplomacy.txt file that is in the Conquests/text folder. Copy it and put it in your scenario/text folder and just modify the one in your mod folder. (i.e. leave the original one alone).

Anyway, if you want to test this. Set one of your civilization's diplomacy index to 25 (Austria). It won't be long before you hear them say something about Vienna Sausages!

I hope this makes sense and helps someone out there....