1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy um no!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Riker13, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Riker13

Riker13 King

So playing my first game with the new patch.

Warlord level to start with large map playing Romans.

England and America at War want me to join them, no thanks says I.

But I do allow a Research Agreement and passage through my Land with the Americans, America and I become Friends. 8 turns later America goes to War with me! WHY????????????

Anybody?

Regards

Riker13 :crazyeye:

2. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

Old thing, this is a thing that was in IV. Maybe the Americans saw you as a weak and easy target et cetera... Or something of the like. Friendship isn't that easy in V, and AI's don't follow you blindly.

3. Bob_

Bob_ Warlord

1. All AIs are backstabbing randomly. In my last game even Ghandi backstabbed me twice.

2. Giving away open borders is said to contribute getting DoWed because the AI can see your weak army. At least its what i ve read some times in the community.

4. Riker13

Riker13 King

I dont know cant trust anyone, I thought the Americans was meant to have at least some honor.

5. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

It's pretty dirty for an AI to commit to a research agreement and then make DoW - wasting your gold and theirs. (I presume two parties at war don't get their free tech at the expiration date?)

6. Riker13

Riker13 King

No I dont belive I did ;(

7. serikas

serikas Chieftain

That's because civ 5 team has the wrong idea. AI is to entertain players, not to irritate them.

8. Tokira

Tokira Warlord

It's true. In Civ5 you can't trust any of the leaders. The diplomacy system is meant to be somewhat mysterious and that's exactly what it is. All the AI leaders will backstab you if they benefit from it.

The craziest thing that happened to me when I was playing as Alex. Gandhi, who had to my suprise been warmongering a lot, became my friend with Siam. They wanted me to declare war on Arabia and Egypt and so I did. They didn't like that I took almost all the cities from those two nations. Indians got only one city from Egypt and I got everything else.

After the wars India denounced me saying that I am a warmongerer (he had conquered the whole China alone and wanted me to declare all the wars that I had declared). Also Siam became guarded because I had been warmongering.. In reality they both were more of warmongerers than I was.

Also a few times I've been denounced because I'm a warmongerer due to me conquering one city state while the denouncers have conquered 2-3 city states. Sounds a bit hypocrite, huh?

9. Riker13

Riker13 King

Yes it does.

This is still not a fair or accurate representation of the kind of Diplomatic system I was hoping for, now I love Civ and have been playing them since the first one (Yes im that old) but it does seem to me with all the knowledge that they have gained over the years this title has not moved a lot further and in some respects backwards compared to IV.