1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy with the Anarchos

Discussion in 'The Knights’ Brotherhood' started by Lanzelot, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Memento

Memento The World is mine

do you ask anarchos?

2. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

No, I thought Lancelot will write something

3. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

No, I retired from diplomacy... And anyway, templar and myself are "burned" over there. But you are a "new voice" for them, your reputation is not yet tainted. Just keep going in the same style in which you made the Mathematics deal, it's very good. Short questions, short statements, anything else is just wasting time.

4. Memento

:evil:

5. Memento

I post something, but i deleted it immediately

6. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Dear Loki,
    Thank you for comments of our behavior. Believe me you did and said enough that our team doesn’t like. If I recall correctly we did not managed to make any agreement about settlement, so we settle where we want and going to grab as much land as possible. We indeed will benefit from war happiness but, taking into account our (and yours) UUs our GAs will be a little premature and unlikely that some of us will get more than that.
    This is not a point, however. I just try to find if we can do something that both our teams will benefit. Initiative to trade luxuries came from you, however, as I can see, you decided to clean Jungle first. That mean that trade route will be 14 turns from now as earliest. Proposal of d7 that we build City with Harbor for you does not sound very realistic. Also it will take too many turns. In addition, if our only benefit from your “trust” will be just does not to hear d7’s impoliteness it is obviously “not enough”. Your proposal to fight together vs another continent also looks not very sound.
    You did not reply about tech trade with us, as we can see, you trade with another continent but, as we can see they try to leave you backward. Probably we can offer you a better deals.

7. Memento

post it.

8. Memento

Lokis post

9. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

My reply: /Any correction - suggestions?/
    Dear Loki,
    Sorry for delay with replay. Thank you for you interest of “what we don’t like”. Honestly, it was so long time ago, that I really forgot particular examples. I only remember that you trade Literature to CoL instead of Map making to CoL as we asked and few other minor things, that was not very important but create negative background in general. What I did not like most of all was “command like” full of demands tone without any attending to the needs of the partner. You tried to dictate us to much what we should not do like “no contact, no trade with another continent”, no War happiness, no planed Golden age, what you will research first what next. All was done in very impolite manner without any proposal of what we will get “in return”. Lanzelot had an idea that “gifts” will improve your attitude, but it did not happened unfortunately.
    In recent time discussion switch to German and I did not follow it, but templar-x interpretation of that looked terrible… And all that have happened before Republic gift. Even at short period when things looked like we got compromise variant d73070d0 came with new demands.
    Clear, Republic deal was assumed that we stay during AA in some Alliance, otherwise it is nonsense. But we and you did not managed to make this agreement in time before you get this gift.
    My experience showed that interest rate in Civ about 2.5%/turn. That mean, that 16 gold approximately is equal 1 gpt. (Sum 1.025^-n 20 times).
    In another words inflation reduces price of everything in the future. For realistically close 35 turn after Republic gift MA tech costs 800*1.025^-35=337. Your gift with that deal will be 363 gold. If you decide not to give us MA tech our lost would be plain 700. And in addition no mechanism was have discussed how make this deal secure.
    We have not heard anything positive from you that could convince us to give you Republic next turn, say. Instead, you made an agreement with Eagles, part of this agreement that you gave them Techs for low price. Exactly, you did what you does not want that we would do. Since Eagles already had Alliance with DK, where Eagles are Superiors you alliance practically mean that you decided to be second satellite. We always offer you equal partnership with unbiased trade of tech. Since we have not done any harm to each other yet it is still time to return back on track.
    Sincerely yours,
    I. Larkin.

10. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

OK, sending thids way

11. Lanzelot

Nothing to be changed. I only brushed it up a bit:

12. Memento

d7 post
    must ask the referee

edit:i send worf a message
    wait with the turn

13. Memento

private message from worf

14. Memento

kleinerHeldt and Apollon vote for our way, but not in the diplothread. and worf say only the diplothread is fact

15. Lanzelot

Now we are being punished for lingering on their road too long... :rolleyes:
    I don't like it, but d7 is completely right here... and now he is using the opportunity to pay us back :lol:
    They probably want to keep the warrior as easy elite training for their swords?!

So as I understood Worf, we have to move N or declare war, right? Should I make my move now? (Otherwise it'll have to wait until tomorrow night. Need to go to bed now.)

16. Lanzelot

I'm making another try with the referee. The rule can be interpreted in different ways...

17. Memento

:rolleyes:

Is not fine, but who cares?

18. Memento

:lol:.

Its not a "Finte", its an owngoal if our warrior can pillage a street

19. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

lurker's comment:
    the whole style of this ISDG is more than questionable. i should have known that already when i had read about the preparations. those discussions showed no compromises, and lots of negative and aggressive comments.

unsurprisingly, it stayed like that. still you obviously enjoy the competition enough to stay in it. but i am happy i am not involved any more. the ruleset, the diplo behaviour, and even the decision of the juror (once Cyc got the right words: it would never "fly in the real world") are simply a bad joke and create quite the opposite of the fun this game could be.

sorry Lanzelot, but the only thing that would even nerve me more than that, is when your own team member always defends people like d7 and their incredibly stupid and narrow minded comments. i really have no clue how you can still want so much that the "non-appliance" of your diplo-style leads to a disaster, that you esteem his nonsense "completely right" and find your team only "punished" for former own misbehaviour. those comments would again have driven me mad, if i was still a team member.

re the game: you really made a storm in a teacup. why not simply move the warrior north after they demand it? you can tie some of the Anarchos´ units there, and maybe even cause havoc. you could have let them taste the dish d7 always wants to prepare for them, and once face the consequences, but no you start this nonsense discussion and keep it alive.

templar_x

20. Lanzelot

Completely agree with you here. But for me this was one more reason to keep cool and try to "de-escalate" by taking the emotions and the heat out of the discussions. Unfortunately this prooved to be impossible, when you and Memento kept pouring even more oil into the fire. Please, both of you: don't take this personal, but it is a fact that whenever d7 posted something stupid, you (and later Memento like in the current example) "answered insult with insult" and the situation exploded... :(

I have also lost most of the fun playing this game. But unfortunately for me it's not so easy to leave as it was for you: I was the one who had the idea and established the first contact between the two forums, I was one of the main organizers of the event. It's my baby that is going to pieces here... :cry:
    I had thought that we are all grown ups and that it should be possible to conduct a game like this in an honest, fair and respectful way on a "personal level", even if there would be wars and tough competition on the "game level". I had played the GOTM for three years and met only fine and courteous people there, who freely shared their help and advice with each other, who were modest when they won - and heartily congratulated the other guy for his achievement when they lost. (You yourself are among these people, and I still respect you not only as an excellent Civ player but also as a friend who shares a lot of common interests, opinions, situation in life, etc. And I regret very much that all this had to cause a disgruntlement in our relation - and hope we will be able to reconcile again eventually. But this does not change the fact that I disapprove of some things you have done in the "diplomacy" for this team.) And I hoped that the people in this ISDG would be the same kind of "characters" that we have in GOTM. But apparently this is unfortunately not the case, and I feel very sad about it. But what can I do except stick with this team and play the game until the bitter end...?

I think you must have completely misunderstood me?!? :confused: I was not reproaching any of my team members here, and I was certainly not defending d7?!? In fact, I even said that I didn't like d7's action, didn't I? All I was trying to express, is the fact that apparently d7 is now trying to grab this opportunity and to "pay us back" for the annoying things that our warriors did in the previous turns. (Blocking their settler and their road, threatening to pillage that road, etc.) And he is obviously right in that point.

But I guess, this was our main problem in this team: the rest of you always misunderstood me and never really understood, what I was trying to achieve on the diplomatic side. Of course I realized as much as you, that the behaviour of the Anarchic team was in some parts intolerable and stupid. Only the conclusions I drew from this fact were different from yours: while you/Memento heated up the discussions on many occasions and sometimes almost lowered yourself to the same level of their behaviour (like personnal insults etc), I tried to keep cool, de-escalate, swallow their insults --- and in the end use them to our advantage... :devil: But of course at some point this was no longer possible.

Yes, this is what we are going to do now... :D I noticed they just finished another road on the horse tile, and we can position our warrior in such a way that they will need to protect both their road segments with warriors now. And if not...

:lol: Haha, I'm surprised that this comes from you of all people... ;)
    (Still didn't understand what you were trying to achieve in this discussion: http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?p=4220272#post4220272 :crazyeye:)
    But nevertheless, you are right, the current discussion was mainly for nothing... However, it may be important to clear this up now for the future, because of the curragh example I mentioned at the end: I don't want to risk loosing a galley full of units just because someone founds a coastal town and then orders our galley out on sea where it sinks...