Diplomat - Negotiator missing

mkr1977

Chieftain
It appears that the negotiator cannot be built, even if you have the negotiators hut. Anyone else with this problem?

think such a bonus would be best through traits, a Warlord wouldn't appreciate your Pacifism, though a nation that shares your ideals of Peace would seek to be friendly with you

think such a bonus would be best through traits, a Warlord wouldn't appreciate your Pacifism, though a nation that shares your ideals of Peace would seek to be friendly with you
Sounds a lot like the bonus for similar civics that already exists (although it should maybe be buffed because of the huge number of civic categories).

Also, apparently there is a hidden diplo modifier called peace weight, and leaders are friendlier the closer their peace weights are.

Diplomats are a lot like spies in their movement and visibility. Some of the missions being considered at the moment. Note that not all are currently possible.

Barbarian Cities perhaps even and Other Nation Cities.

Build Up Promotion Spread Culture once it gets above 50% the city will flip to you as per normal BtS. There are associated diplomatic promotion lines that boost this. Each turn spread your culture to a city. Any faux pa is likely to cause the accidental death of the unit. If it belongs to a nation you have treaties with then it will be expelled and you can expel others from that nation also.

Build Embassy Building (one per nation) or lesser diplomatic building in a city. The building is owned by you but the City it is in can destroy it with a big hit to diplomacy. In doing so it will increase the city's moral and reduce war weariness some what.

Build an informant network. This is not a crime but it will assist spies and black ops in their missions. You may also want it to aid the local crime fighters against other nations.

Assist other of your nations assets. This is not a crime when the asset is not doing anything criminal eg a merchant doing trade or setting up a trade network, or defending a criminal in court. However it is a crime when assisting spies or Black Ops to sabotage etc. Success helps the mission succeed, failure may result in a diplomatic hit, expelling of the diuplomat etc.
Hidden nationality and barbarian units

For a cost persuade the unit that they are better off on your side or at least not against your side
Depends on diplomat and target unit promotions and levels

Success
If it is a single unit most likely it will just disappear into the populace. The old weary fighter finds a farm run by a widow and settles down story. Less likely the unit may join your side if it is a fighting unit. If it is a criminal or Black Ops worst case for them is that they turn and give you the location of all units of their type from their former nation.

If a stack or merged unit. If you pay enough they will become yours. Alternately they may "get lost" or "receive the wrong orders" and go somewhere else and attack the wrong people. This would use automation and after a number of turns control would return to the owning player.
Not fail
(barbarians only) will ask for more money allowing the diplomat to try again next turn. Note money is lost when bribe offered.​

Fail
Diplomat dies​

Interesting. How about using the diplomancer unit to make barbarian or neanderthal cities into allies? That means you can move your units through their territory, they do not attack you, etc.

Interesting. How about using the diplomancer unit to make barbarian or neanderthal cities into allies? That means you can move your units through their territory, they do not attack you, etc.
I could actually see how that could easily be done - the mission, if successful, could assign a Trait: Savagefriend or something like that, which assigns to all units a free promotion that gives all units the barbarian coexistance ability.

The big problem with it is that barbarians and neanderthals are assumed to have city states so that you should only do such diplomacy with a single city not the whole nation.

The big problem with it is that barbarians and neanderthals are assumed to have city states so that you should only do such diplomacy with a single city not the whole nation.
Not sure I would agree. If they had a government then they'd be a civilization.

I would assume each barb city had a leader of some kind, but I can't imagine what kind of diplomacy that would make sense in the case of barbs. Maybe buying mercenaries...
Or sending the barbs to attack a neighboring civ of your choice for gold. Would have to be heavily scripted.

I could actually see how that could easily be done - the mission, if successful, could assign a Trait: Savagefriend or something like that, which assigns to all units a free promotion that gives all units the barbarian coexistance ability.
I was actually saying that your first comment made no sense because barbarians don't have a form of government that spans all barbarian lands but at best only have city states, ie cities, that don't attack each other. There is no one to get an agreement with that would cover all their lands.

I was actually saying that your first comment made no sense because barbarians don't have a form of government that spans all barbarian lands but at best only have city states, ie cities, that don't attack each other. There is no one to get an agreement with that would cover all their lands.
It wouldn't be reflective of an agreement so much as it would be bringing home and spreading the knowledge of the tricks the diplomat figured out that generically apply in diffusing hostilities immediately with any random group, that capacity of understanding that barbarians share with one another that keeps those cities from waging combat against each other as well.

The downside would be you lose the ability to raid, invade, or take out barb cities, so the trait shouldn't last forever... maybe only the span of the era or something.

You could maintain the alliance by creating a new unit "tribute caravan". You have a counter for the friendship with the savages, and each caravan you send as tribute gives you a certain amount of turns added to the length of the friendship.

You could maintain the alliance by creating a new unit "tribute caravan". You have a counter for the friendship with the savages, and each caravan you send as tribute gives you a certain amount of turns added to the length of the friendship.
This is much the same as what merchants already do, so I suggest it be one more mission that both lines of merchants - as well as the Great Merchant - can perform. No criticism of the idea intended, though; it's a proper good one, with no apparent downside.

Top Bottom