1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomatic Bonus for Shared Culture.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by CELTICEMPIRE, Jun 3, 2018.

1. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

How much influence does shared culture have on diplomacy? It seems pretty minor from personal experience, but has anyone looked very far into this?

2. justanick

justanick Chieftain

Yes. Bamspeedy did. The effect is enough to offset razing one city of third party or declaring war on third party. So the effect is small, but noticeable.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ai-attitude.44999/

CELTICEMPIRE likes this.
  3. Theov

Theov Chieftain

I didnt know a few of these in the post by Bamspeedy. Using pirates is bad for your rep... I use them all the time.

4. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Yeah, Hidden Nationality units might not cause war, but that doesn't mean that the AI doesn't know exactly who's running them.

Works the other way as well, though: if you've ever noticed your Foreign Advisor telling you "Don't forget, the XXX have attacked us before. I don't think we should trust them" when 'XXX' is a Civ you've never fought a war with, that means that the XXX have hit you with their HN units.

Spoiler :
    You see this quite often in the Sengoku scenario, due to the AI's use of Ronin/Ninja, and in CCM because of the Enslavers; but also in the epic game, if you've been playing mostly peaceful builder.

That happened to me in my current game (as the Australians) on @LKendter's Earth-map: my Foreign Advisor started warning me about the Indians in the early Industrial, despite Gandhi having been a staunch trading-partner for almost the entirety of the game to that point, and constant ally (against the Persians and later the Mongols). This was almost certainly due to his owning some/all of the multiple Privateers harassing (my) shipping throughout the Indonesian archipelago; I saw more than one of them sailing into/out of Indian port-towns (my Frigates and Privateers also sank/captured many of them).

I got my revenge, though: once the Mongols were down, that left me with a whole pile of Cavalry, Infantry and later Tanks (plus a large pile of captured/upgraded Artillery) sitting in East Asia with nothing to do. So I invaded China for their Luxes, and took almost all their mainland towns (the Persians got a couple too), consolidating my hold on the region. Then towards the end of that campaign, Gandhi declared on me when I told him to get off my land, which was a mistake I didn't allow him to recover from. And I tied my PT with Mao (needed due to WW) to an MA against Gandhi, so after I recruited the Argentinians to grab his last town (which was over in Hawaii), the Chinese ended up back at war with me, and are now also about to lose their last town as well (in the Cook Islands) :evil:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I never knew a lot of those things. I always assumed the AI had no idea which civilization had the privateers. Does the piracy penalty apply to using privateers against an enemy?

6. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Depends what you mean by 'enemy' here, but I would guess so.
    Assuming you mean 'Civ you are currently at war with', then I would guess that your victim's attitude would still worsen from every Privateer attack (plus whatever penalty you get from sinking their ships, if your Privateer wins), but the other Civs wouldn't care, unless...
    If you mean 'enemy of Civ you are currently at peace with', then I would guess that the friendly Civ would 'know' that the Privateers were yours, and thus their attitude to you would improve (up to the maximum cap) for any enemy ships sunk/captured by your pirate fleet.