Diplomatic Marriage

Very, very powerful UA. If you have overlooked Austria, take another gander.

Yes, its super OP, and ive only played three rounds of G+K. I would go as far as to say that Austria is by far the best turtle now, because late game they eat six to twelve unit producers and just steamroll fools from there.

I completely agree, especially since the cost doesnt scale with age.

500 gold may be reasonable early game, but getting a 12-15 population city with 2-3 free units late game for that same amount of gold is extremely powerful.

That being said, as a min maxer, I am curious what suggestions others have for policies and religious beliefs to best take advantage of this.

As a point of irony, ive found that the patronage tree is terrible because you dont usually stay allies with cities for very long before taking them over.

thoughts?

Dipolomatic Marriage is certainly a powerful UA (and annoying when Austria is an AI!) but I think that the fact that you can "buy" a city state has to be weighed against the bonuses city states provide. Personally, I would rather have the city state as an ally than annex/puppet it into my empire.

It's true, as Austria I was loathe to annex mercantile city-states, because not only would I lose the happiness bonus they give me, but I would also take a happiness hit for the new city - double-whammy that can easily put you below -10 happiness.

(On the upside though you get to keep their special luxury resource. :))

would be an interesting multi player strat take someones happiness away permently quickly. Although they didnt include city states in mul;tiplayer ganmes previosly.

A CS puppet would be better IMO than an annex city by far, no addition culture costs. However, I gave this UA some thought, and there would be very little advantage to taking CS other than to give Austria a decent foothold or chokepoint near a potential enemy civ.

Austrian culture rivaled that of France there must be a way to leverage culture here.

A CS puppet would be better IMO than an annex city by far, no addition culture costs. However, I gave this UA some thought, and there would be very little advantage to taking CS other than to give Austria a decent foothold or chokepoint near a potential enemy civ.

I would have to disagree. In my current game I have built zero units, but currently have 74. This is after losing several in a war with Austria. I have 13 cities generating quite a bit of trade route income, with only having built one city besides my capital (free settler). The deomgraphics screen shows me as being #1 in every category, which is pretty respectable for only building one city (and having no captured cities - my war with Austria was so I could raze two he dropped on the coast right next to me).

Top Bottom