Diplomatic penalty for promising not to do something

Makavcio

Prince
When I promised my neighbor that I won't be settling near him anymore, I instantly got a huge diplomatic penalty with him, -50. Is this supposed to work like that? If so, what's the purpose of such pledge if it makes your opponent hostile towards you anyway?

Btw, whose idea it was to let Justin Bieber set a new forum theme here?

When I promised my neighbor that I won't be settling near him anymore, I instantly got a huge diplomatic penalty with him, -50. Is this supposed to work like that? If so, what's the purpose of such pledge if it makes your opponent hostile towards you anyway?

It is not penalty, it is the number of turns you are not supposed to break the promise for. Check it after a few turns and you will see it is decreasing every turn.

Like Vyyt said, it's not actually a penalty, it's just used as a countdown. I don't think there is a penalty attached to it at all, unless you actually break the promise.

For the forum-theme, this is definitely not the right place to ask, try here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=568709

Just joking around with the theme ;)

Anyhow, the modifier's in red, it does decay, yet relations still are turned extremely sour.

Settled a city near Morocco, had like +15 combined modifiers with them, and just after this one thing they turned from neutral to hostile a turn later. No further diplomodifiers were displayed. Are you absolutely sure it doesn't negatively influence relations?

And since I'm already at it, Maya's unique ability seems to be bugged. In my last game, I was able to get 4 great merchants (and some other GPs between those; notably 2 great engineers) before the game started blocking the option saying that it was already chosen. The pop-up msg was that he "was already chosen at the end of baktun 8".

Just joking around with the theme ;)

Anyhow, the modifier's in red, it does decay, yet relations still are turned extremely sour.

Settled a city near Morocco, had like +15 combined modifiers with them, and just after this one thing they turned from neutral to hostile a turn later. No further diplomodifiers were displayed. Are you absolutely sure it doesn't negatively influence relations?
Yeah it doesn't influence relation.
However, if they ask you to stop settling near them, you're probably close enough to them to have them coveting your lands, which could cause them to go hostile. This is especially true if your army is weak, not sure if it is intentional or not, them seeing you as a juicy target if your army is small or them overlooking your expansion wanting to stay on your good side if your army is big.

And since I'm already at it, Maya's unique ability seems to be bugged. In my last game, I was able to get 4 great merchants (and some other GPs between those; notably 2 great engineers) before the game started blocking the option saying that it was already chosen. The pop-up msg was that he "was already chosen at the end of baktun 8".
This sounds like a bug, I haven't seen it but I don't think I've played Maya this patch.

Top Bottom