Diplomatic pressure

Henry_X

Warlord
I 've just finished a game with these opponents : Zulu, Rome, Mongol, Celt, Japan, Scandinavia, Aztec. I was Persia. With all those Militaristic and aggressive civ's arround , it promised to be a exciting game.

Rome was on the other side of the pangea map. Caesar never annoyed me so he was the second biggest civ arround. By that time he thought he ruled the world and started to finish of the weaker civs.

Since they were important for me for trading , I wanted them to stick arround. I had all the land and resources I wanted. Now, To calm Caesar down I signed MPP's with those guys, but he didn't pay any attention to , although he knew he would get in fight with me ( the most advanced, most productive and biggest civ of all ) and my 2 allies...

Is there any way to calm a civ down ? It would be nice to have a diplomatic way.

Some other valuable new options would be:
1) one-side ROP , obviously.
2) disarm treaties, for instance, not allowing they get equally or stronger then you.
3) No nuke-treaty. If the other builds nukes, you got a legitimate reason for war.
4) No fleet-treaty , not allowing the other to build ships.
5) No Flight-treaty, not allowing the other to build planes.

I discussed number 4 and 5 once in a MP-game.

yeah great idea sort of like a treaty of versailles for civ but I would like to add another one for if that civ is already nuclear armed you could sign a nuclear limitation treaty.

Explain to me why anybody would actually honor any of these treaties? I know I wouldn't.

CtP II had "reduce nuclear weapons by x percent" treaty. Too bad diplomacy in CtP sucked, otherwise it would have been a nice option to have.

The AI has no honour. It will not stick to any treaty ...

A few days ago I almost had won a game by culture. I had MPP/ROP with everyone, America/Zulu/Iroqois/Aztec were still standing. I didn't notice America switching to communism until it declares war on me. All others go help fight America but they make bad progress as America has its own continent. My democracy with US almost cracks up after 5 turns of war so I make peace with America and give all my resources to my former allies to keep them polite. 2 Turns later I achive cultural victory.

(edit)
I'm sooo glad the game still was Industrial Age !

Originally posted by Bloog
My democracy with US almost cracks up after 5 turns of war so I make peace with America and give all my resources to my former allies to keep them polite. 2 Turns later I achive cultural victory.

I'm somewhat surprised that America acknowledged your envoy, allowing you to sue for peace after only 5 turns. Oftentimes, it takes your posing a clear and present danger to them in order to have them acknowledge you. Great job on the cultural victory!
:goodjob: That is my favorite victory type! Was it an overall cultural victory or a one city cultural victory? By the way, welcome to CFC! :)

I think in Alpha Centauri you had the option to try and intercede on behalf of an ally in the event of war breaking out.
(ie) You could try and broker a deal between them or try and get one side to cease hostilities with the other.I cant remember all the details as it was a long time ago and the memory fades.
I tire of war quite quickly in Civ and i think an extended array of diplomatic options would be a good thing.
If like minded nations could form their own versions of NATO or the Warsaw pact with their own councils for voting on issues like embargos and whether to go to war it would really open up the diplomatic side and make it more immersive.
Not everyones cup of tea i know but i really enjoy the diplomatic side of Civ 8)
WS~

I enjoy diplomacy a great deal, and wish Civ 3 had more options as well. I think real world situations in the current news would also go a long way to making it more realistic (at least, as realistic as a game can get when you can be on your way to Alpha Centauri in 1790AD).

1. Nuclear limitation treaties, with the ability for the builder of the UN to send in inspectors to make sure the signed parties are complying with the treaty.

2. Non agression pacts. This way, although your neighbor has a MPP with a civ you are about to go to war with, they can have the choice whether to get drawn into the war against you or not if they are NAPed with you.

3. A treaty organization that would automatically allow you to have MPPs and or NAPs with other civs. Something like NATO or the Warsaw Pact.

Perhaps an Advanced Diplomacy option. Some folks may not want to bother with advance diplomacy items, but for those that do you can click a button and have more options.

Nightfang's third idea is the one I like best - the treaty organization. This would be almost perfect. Also, a nice thing would have been to be able to sign secret pacts, like before WW 1. Then, you'll attack a weak, tiny civilization, just to find out that they had a secret alliance with the strongest AI civ... lol
And yet another idea: disabling the diplomatic victory (so you won't be able to win by building the UN), but making the UN a nice way to control the world and initiate order in it: with nuclear and other weapons inspections (like a spy - only for free, and with no risk), or as a tool to gain the support of all other "civilized" civs for your attack on the evil civ offshore... Just like in real life! lol

Originally posted by warpstorm
Explain to me why anybody would actually honor any of these treaties? I know I wouldn't.
You just know they won't be honored for an enitre game. But that gives you a reason to declare war or you pressure them to hold off building weapons for a while.

For instance, in single player, I'm sick and tired of chasing those Ironclads and frigates arround with my battleships. And because he has twice as much Ironclads he thinks he's superior.

The nukes-treaty and single side rop are examples of real life , no flight is a sort of no-fly zone.

In an MP game you can discuss a lot of treaties , for instance a N.A.P. , single rop or "if you pass the mountains , you die". But the disadvantage is time there...

It was an overall CV, playing Babylon. I did impose a threat to America, as my empire was thrice its size. My allies conquered one of their cities too. The combo of a distant and isolated enemy with democracy what made me vulnerable to this war.

But I still wonder why gracious democracy America switched to communism, broke an ROP/MPP, just to make war with the entire world in a hopeless situation. 30 turns after my victory my allies had them wiped out completely and everyone was gracious with me once more.

Originally posted by JonathanValjean

I'm somewhat surprised that America acknowledged your envoy, allowing you to sue for peace after only 5 turns. Oftentimes, it takes your posing a clear and present danger to them in order to have them acknowledge you. Great job on the cultural victory!
:goodjob: That is my favorite victory type! Was it an overall cultural victory or a one city cultural victory? By the way, welcome to CFC! :)

Top Bottom