Diplomatic Text

Jabie

Wanted in Monte Carlo...
Can someone provide a list of all the Diplomatic Text Situations (e.g. Declaration of War, ask for help, greeting message) so we can start working on wording for flavour?

E.g. Kilobyte or Peter might declare war with "All your bases are belong to us", Hallowe'en Jane might sue for peace with "War? Huh?!? What is it good for?", Stein might greet with "Hello <CivName>. Are you ready for the rapture?"

As far as I can tell in vanilla and most mods, the only "flavor" text is first contact. Each LH has a couple of unique phrases, and there are no "generic" first contact phrases. Between vanilla, warlords and BTS there are about 30 LH (whatever the exact number is), so there are 60-90 phrases. Each phrase is given a text entry like AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_AUGUSTUS_CAESAR_1 in file Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4DiplomacyInfos.xml. Each phrase can be restricted to only certain civilizations or only certain leaderheads; in practice, for first contact, each phrase is restricted to a single leader. When it needs a first contact phrase, the game searches for all the "available" phrases and then randomly picks one.

The text itself is defined (in all four languages) in three files in Assets/XML/Text: vanilla CIV4DiplomacyText.xml, warlords CIV4GameText_Warlords_Diplomacy.xml, and bts CIV4GameText_DiplomacyText_BTS.xml.

What I did was remove all the leader restrictions, so that each Fury Road first contact picks any one of all the first contact phrases. Some of the phrases are very recognizable ("I'm always looking for CLOSER relations...") but I have not tried to weed any out.

So, if you wanted to give 2-3 first contact phrases (or more) for each leader, I could easily plug them into the files. I don't think we need to worry about other types of phrases. Have you seen other mods that customize other types of phrases?

I had messed around with this before. (Adding some known/famous quotes to standard leaders.) In theory every leader can have fully custom text, depending on the event, his mood and relative power.

In Standard game every leader has a unique "First Contact" quote.
In addition most of them have some "Refuse To Talk", "No Peace", "Greeting Friendly" and "Greeting Angry" and "Demand Tribute" quotes.

However the later are a bit rare - there are like 10 generic "Greeting" phrases + 1 per leader... So the chance the leader actually uses his own "Greeting" is like <10% ...

-----

For Fury Road leaders adding custom Text going along with the Background Story might help giving them "Personality". However it is a lot of work for a somewhat marginal feature (from my experience, many players do not even read that stuff...)

I believe 100% of the first contact text is customized in vanilla. Byeond that I see a little text defined, plus some which is defined and never referenced. So I think it's worthwhile for first contact. (Of course I would also like to have the remaining four leader backgrounds filled in ...)

Top Bottom