Diplomatic Trait Based on Peace Treaty Length

CaptainMidnight

Warlord
I've been thinking about developing a diplomatic trait that works as thus:

Instead of a 10 turn peace treaty someone with this diplomatic trait gets a 20 turn treaty.

This can be broken by the diplomatic leader after ten turns, however it cannot be broken by the affected non-diplomatic leader, so as not to to disadvantage diplomatic leaders.

In a diplo leader vs diplo leader situation, the effect is negated, so its back to 10 turns.

This trait could also apply to other treaties, gold per turn, defence pacts and so forth.

I think this could be a unique trait as I often find myself waiting to buy off strong civs before invading one of their allies. a 20 turn treaty would enable more larger expansion.

I have started tinkering with SDK and python but have no formal training, just a strong desire to mod Civ4. What do think of this idea and where should I start my tinkering?

This would be cool if it was set up to reduce the 'refuses to talk delay'. Also, Imagine if it would decrease the AI's reluctance to trade techs with you. Though in that case, an AI with Diplomatic trait could easily get a runaway tech lead.

AN idea that work only on the AI does not appeal to me. Too artificial.

Beside, 20 turn treaty may very well be a problem for the player and not a treat, and modifying the AI behavior can very well be a disguised way to make it more easy to manipulate.

AN idea that work only on the AI does not appeal to me. Too artificial.

Beside, 20 turn treaty may very well be a problem for the player and not a treat, and modifying the AI behavior can very well be a disguised way to make it more easy to manipulate.

Well, I see your point, but a player with the diplo trait retains a 10 turn peace treaty. Only non-diplo trait suffer. I don't think a 20 turn peace treaty on say marathon speed would radically shift the game or really require AI modifying. If a civ as you only get a peace treaty if a civ approaches you for tribute. So any AI warplans are unlikely to be affected, you just get an extra 10 turns to act before becoming venerable to attack again.

But perhaps a more passive effect similar to the other traits would be more appropriate.

Top Bottom