1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomatic Victory advice/tips/must-haves?

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by wobuffet, Apr 30, 2016.

1. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

The number of votes needed to get a Diplo Victory seems very high with CSD. A few questions:
    • Generally, are there any particular good strategies to earn the votes needed?
    • Does the number of votes per civ and per per city-state ally follow the standard BNW numbers?
    • I assume all the ways to earn votes are listed in the CSD thread? http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392543
    • How many extra votes are earned with the World Ideology and failed Global Hegemony votes?

2. Krullehoofd

Krullehoofd Chieftain

I dont have a specific strategy with do this and do that. But what worked for me was the following. Make a dof with two or three civs. At least two other civs. Maintain good relations. Send your spies as diplomats to your friends. Know what they are going to do in the World Congress. Make sure only you and your two other friends can make proposals in the World Congress. Try to get the most delegates, but leave some delegates for your friends. Dont steal their CS, steal only CS from your enemies with your diplomats. Each dof will give you extra delegates in the World Congress. Your friends needs the same religion and ideology you have. Make sure to have a holy city. With only you and your friends able to make proposals in the World Congress you can pass World Ideology and World Religion easily. This will give you more delegates and securing a diplomatic victory when the UN elections are held. Your friends will vote for you because you know what they are going to vote through your diplomats. You can even buy their votes if needed.

3. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

I can't answer your specific questions, but along the lines of what Krull said:

Keep in mind that Vassals will vote for you as world leader so occasional conquest and forced vassalage can help. There's also a number of wonders that increase delegate counts. Generation of Great Diplomats is also clearly helpful with either building Embassies or gaining CS allies. Regular diplomats also clearly help, so either rush buying them or having the production to build them in between other infrastructure or military is helpful. Last, it might be a good idea to militarily eliminate civs that will make your diplomacy victory easier. Mongolia and Venice tend to annex them which reduces the number of potential CS allies you can make while Austria/Germany/Greece (and others) might compete with you in terms of allying them. Get rid of those civs somehow and your life will be easier.

4. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I tend to look after great diplomats since I know it's going to be a diplo game and build as many embassies as I can. Then I go for trade routes, and try to maintain routes with all CS. It doesn't hurt to send the traders from the holy city. Occasionally I rush some diplomats. Try to not annoy my neighbours and use my power in the world congress to slow down any runaway, and secure some CS. Then, rush for Radio, get an Ideology, and prepare for the AI response.

5. jma22tb

jma22tb Prince

Best Civs

* Greece - directly enhances influence and gives you more combat strength per ally
    * Germany - given strong per turn bonuses per ally and more votes
    * England - having spies that early is a huge advantage. You can rig elections as soon as you meet city-states in the ancient era.
    * Spain - so that whole thing about world religion? easy for Spain. Everything under their control or allied is immune to foreign religious pressure
    * Portugal - Feitoria in City-states greatly enhances trade with them and they get Great General /Admiral points per trade route.
    * Austria - Can purchase diplomatic marriages, which make it a lot harder to steal allies from you and improve GP rate in the capital. Diplomat spam ftw.
    * Siam - They get more yields from city-states than anyone else, which is nonsensical if you get a lot of allies.
    * The Netherlands - the more allies you get, the more resources you import, which increases culture. Mercantile CSs are your best friends.

The main concepts that directly enhance Diplomacy are:

Religion
    Espionage
    Civil Servants and Great Diplomats
    Diplomatic World Wonders

As such I think that the best way to open up a Diplomacy game is Tradition, so that you get more Great Diplomats throughout the game, you can easily compete for Wonders, and only have to settle one or two cities, relying on puppets and your allies to handle the rest.

Progress is a good opener for Diplomacy too, because you will be significantly better at getting technology, reaching Writing faster so you can build Scrivener's Office and send out emissaries. The key to Progress is making sure your capital is always growing population. I personally prioritize Pyramids and a culture pantheon for that purpose - you get double worker efficiency and a settler without having to stop growth.

Authority is not that good for Diplomacy. Not only does it give you incentive to bully them, but City-States make excellent fodder for culture / kill that you're losing out on by even conducting diplomacy in the first place. Imperialism is worth waiting on if you want to be aggressive while doing Diplomacy because you'll be able to upgrade your units in allied territory and your navy / air force will be dominant.

Great Diplomats are best used by making embassies. They give you a WC vote each and deny your rivals the same. In that sense it's a race to make embassies, which is why I recommend Tradition - you'll get them faster than anyone. Tradition Capital is also the best location for Civil Servants because it only costs half the normal amount of Food there. You can check the entire list of Great People and still grow.

Religion benefits from
    * Hard to say which pantheon to go with since it varies so wildly. Greece have Hoplites so faith / kill can be great for them if you want to beat up a neighbor. A culture based pantheon like Goddess of Renewal can speed up Wonder Spam. Food pantheons are always a good idea if you aren't going to settler spam. God of Commerce is great for settler spam.

* Mandirs, which prevent assassination of your Great Diplomats
    * Churches, which make your missionaries extremely efficient
    If you can't get both, any other building can work. The idea is to get as much religious pressure as possible so you can keep up the pressure in the face of a Piety civ. If you're aggressive nobody makes a more convenient conquest target than a Piety civ. Unless you're Spain, whose entire power base is immune to foreign religious pressure xD.

* One World - One Religion / Global Commandments reformations. 1W1R gives votes, Global Commandments rewards being the host of the WC immensely.

It should be noted, however, that Diplomacy is not pacifism. You need a certain level of military power to protect city-states, and conquest is something you can definitely use with your command of the WC. If you force through Casus Belli you basically get a free pass to conquer anyone you want. If you can also force through Sanctions, then you have a free pass to wipe out an entire nation and aren't vilified for it as heavily. You can use that to divide and conquer other nations, get everyone out of your way to conquer a neighbor, etc.

A WC under your control is a huge amount of power.

Statecraft is a given during the Medieval policies. It's the only policy oriented around a Diplomatic victory before Ideologies.

Espionage is best utilized on city-states for diplomacy, especially those you know are being competed against. Diplomat unit spam is important, but in contested city-states you need spies too. Rigging elections is a great passive effect and in a pinch you can stage a coup d'etat and force them as an ally. Later on, using them for City-States that are a long way away helps a lot with the logistics. Of course, settling a city out there can too xD.

The last policy is tricky. All three have incentive.

* Industry gives you another trade route, which plays into Merchant Confederacy neatly. It also makes you disgustingly rich, which can let you buy diplomat units to send around, upgrade your military, infrastructure, etc.

* Imperialism gives you an elite navy, air force, and makes amphibious invasions more efficient, while letting you upgrade your units in allied territory. That's very effective for a more British Empire style hegemony.

* Rationalism doesn't really affect diplomacy, but it doesn't need to - when you add the additional science to Scholasticism from Statecraft and your expanded list of spies, you can protect a science lead very well, while playing catchup with the tech leader if it isn't you. Progress - Statecraft - Rationalism might be the best overall science sequence now that I think about it.

As far as Ideologies, you can choose between Freedom and Autocracy. Freedom is the less aggressive one, while Autocracy is probably the most aggressive out of all three ideologies.