Diplomatic Victory Help on Turn 230

rover6695

Prince
I can send a screenshot if needed, but basically:

-Playing as Canada, small map, 8 cis, quick, on turn 230 of 330
-Want to win diplomatically, but just had the WC and lost 3 votes, I now am in 2nd with 9 of 20.
-How can I win this diplomatically, and if not, what can I best pivot too?

I've been trying not to get into wars, I have 3 allies, 3 spies on city states, and 1 governor in a city state.
I've won the World Competition, got the Statue of Liberty.

Thanks.

How much diplo favor are you generating?

• If Országház is yet to be built by a civ then beeline for that so you can get a big majority of favor. Same with Mahabodi temple and Potala Palace.
  • Keep an eye on all the other resolutions as you will win victory points for backing the winner which can take an edge off any losses. By now any repeat ones should be good for picking up some points.
  • You still have the climate accords and researching both Seasteads and Global Warming Mitigation which win you points. So there is 3.
  • The carbon recapture project also wins you large amounts of favor.
  • Now you're second you have a chance to win back those points on the next vote. Especially if they wasted all their favor. Once you're in the lead and don't think you can win the vote, then you can also vote against yourself which will reduce the penalty by 1 point. If you also guess correctly on the other resolutions then you can potentially break even.
  • It's been said on this forum before thar your alliances aren't beneficial because they provide that civ with the diplo favor to outvote you. That said if everyone already has lots of alliances then it might not be making much difference though.
  • Maybe also try using spies to breach dams to goad the other civs into making aid requests. If your spies have wiped out all the other civs envoys then you can safely move the spy on. Also use the containment policy card as that basically doubles any envoys you add to a city state if someone else is suzerian.
  • Alternatively, you could wipe out several civs so there is less people to vote against you. This does seem to work! :crazyeye:
If you are going to pivot to another victory then it really depends on how far ahead you are for a culture victory at this point. Or failing that a science victory.

How much diplo favor are you generating?
Turn 250 of 330; 1201 DV total, +26 per turn; 8 city states, suzerain of 7, 1 has no suzerain
-I have 1 civ's capital, the other 6 all have their original.
-I'm leading in everything but Diplomatic, culture is at 223

• If Országház is yet to be built by a civ then beeline for that so you can get a big majority of favor. Same with Mahabodi temple and Potala Palace.
I have Orzaghaz, Potala, Forbidden, Statue of Liberty...no temple
  • Keep an eye on all the other resolutions as you will win victory points for backing the winner which can take an edge off any losses. By now any repeat ones should be good for picking up some points.
Assuming there are no repeat ones, what do I do? You get DV points for backing a winner? How many?
  • You still have the climate accords and researching both Seasteads and Global Warming Mitigation which win you points. So there is 3.
OK.
  • The carbon recapture project also wins you large amounts of favor.
OK.
  • Now you're second you have a chance to win back those points on the next vote. Especially if they wasted all their favor. Once you're in the lead and don't think you can win the vote, then you can also vote against yourself which will reduce the penalty by 1 point. If you also guess correctly on the other resolutions then you can potentially break even.
OK.
  • It's been said on this forum before thar your alliances aren't beneficial because they provide that civ with the diplo favor to outvote you. That said if everyone already has lots of alliances then it might not be making much difference though.
Allied with 5, should I not renew?
  • Maybe also try using spies to breach dams to goad the other civs into making aid requests. If your spies have wiped out all the other civs envoys then you can safely move the spy on. Also use the containment policy card as that basically doubles any envoys you add to a city state if someone else is suzerian.
Cool.
  • Alternatively, you could wipe out several civs so there is less people to vote against you. This does seem to work! :crazyeye:
But...I am well liked, afraid that would ruin my standing.

If you are going to pivot to another victory then it really depends on how far ahead you are for a culture victory at this point. Or failing that a science victory.
Culture is 223 now

Basically, your thoughts. Is this winnable?

The recommended way to win diplomatic victory on larger maps is to kill everyone but the strongest player. It is the only realistic way on a map With 4 or more remaining players. Useing the goldenage wargoal is advantageous to reduce grivances.

As you know the AI is hardcoded to vote down the player With the most votes, and votes have escalating cost.

Diplomatic victory is a joke. First you have to get lucky or cheese the sessions by learning what AIs like to vote for. And later in the game you can only vote against yourself to decrease the penalty from -3 to -2 and hope for emergencies.
Tough luck that emergencies are also broken because the AI spams the "send aid" projects in all of their cities. You are better off ignoring this victory type and go for science or culture instead.

Top Bottom