1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Diplomatic Victory Strategies

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by RickSL, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Also meeting everyone early as I imagine you cannot contribute if you do not know them, I'll look at the XML and see what I can suss for emergencies.

Pikwik and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yes, meeting everyone before the Medieval Era would increase opportunities. Finally something goes right for Norway.

Pikwik likes this.
  3. Victoria

And yet another victory type for Kupe

4. Eagle Pursuit

I've found a way to make a neat 90 Favor.

Send your Archaeologist(s) around and extract artifacts from within other civs' borders. Each time promise not to do it again for 30 Favor. A single Archaeologist can do this 3 times. Repeat again after the promise expires.

iammaxhailme likes this.
  5. Victoria

Indeed, or just convert their cities
    Surprised we do not get 50 for every city taken, it has become that crrrrazy

6. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

I find this victory type a bit strange. It seems too random.

You are stuck waiting for the correct resolution to come up in world congress. It seems there's more than a good chance you'll hit another victory first.

7. Eagle Pursuit

The resolution comes up every time after the global modern era occurs.

8. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

I won 2 games after GS released, and both Diplomatic ... this seems to be easiest way to win, it needs to be rebalanced --- because you can easy achive it before anybody else have a chance in science or culture. You vote yourself 2 times in world congress at the begining when nobody is blocking you and then just buy yourself diplomatic points with sending gold gifts. At the end you end up with 2 points from technology later, you can even be genocidal maniac (like me in my Germany game, nukes - razing cities - 7 hansa with coal power plant -conquest - etc) and still easly win this type of victory.

This must be rebalanced with patch , it must be somehow releated with greviances system --- otherwise its joke

9. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

RIght, but I find it a bit weird because by this stage you've already focused on another victory type.

10. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

@Victoria Carbon Recapture city project grants 30DF every time it’s competed. Not sure if I saw it on the list.

Victoria likes this.
  11. Eagle Pursuit

That's just the general imbalance of victories. If they can balance it out, then you won't be farther along in science or culture progress than in Diplo and it will seem less odd.

12. Leucarum

Leucarum Prince

One thing I find odd is that with the AI so aggressively voting you down at 8VP you need to aim to score the VP tech/civic at that point so you pretty much need to be in a position where you could score a science (and usually a culture) victory at the same time...

acluewithout and utberguy like this.
  13. Victoria

Added, cheers.

14. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

Aren't your favors refunded if you lose the vote anyway?

15. jddods

jddods Prince

Got a Diplo Victory in my first GS game,Played Hungary was able to trade up to 20DF per turn per player, Massed heaps to DF that way at the same time as keep their DF low. This stopped about the time I earned my first DP (statue of liberty), I don't know if this was the trigger to DF trade or the fact that I had many times the DF than anyone else.
    I had to trade away my books to stop getting a CV.

16. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

This is way different from the general feedback... I can sometimes achieve CV before the first DipV voting even starts (the world being in Modern era), and in my actual DipV game I had to disable CV and never build the last space project. And that is while winning every single DipV vote presented to me.

17. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

Its actually 1 Diplomatic Favor per Alliance Level you have. So eventually you can get 15 per turn when all five alliances reach level 3. The alliances seem to be enough diplomatic favor to win the DV victory eventually.

I played an Immortal One City Challenge with Mali and the DV was easy. It just dragged out till turn 300 or so. I build the Statue of Liberty and picked up several more DV points from winning aid emergencies. It seems really easy to win the aid emergencies. Each point is one gold and you can see the other players points. Just wait till near the end and then gift some money (particularity easy as Mali, even with only one city). The AI doesn't seem to try to win them.

Victoria likes this.
  18. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Prince

World Congress put up a vote for either +1 or -1 victory point for a player. I was allied with 5 of the 6 remaining civs. I dropped 30 votes on myself for the point. The computer players voted 31 to take a point away from me. I stopped that game and just started another.

19. Bradypus

Bradypus Chieftain

I have only finished 1 game in GS and I won it by DV. I was originally going for a SV, but DV just presented itself as being so easy. Just buy the 2 votes and send gold for emergencies (working is a waste of time). I feel that a must for diplomatic victory is having a lot of gold.

20. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Prince

Diplomatic Victory is pretty easy really. I've only tried going for it once but then I got it well before I could've gotten a culture or science one.

Basically all you need is something like this:
    2x 2p from World Congress vote on yourself
    2p from Future Era tech/civic
    1p from Statue of Liberty
    3p from winning Send Aid projects throughout the game

All these things are quite easy to achieve. The Send Aid projects you only need to gift a bunch of gold to the victim for. No need to bother about running the project really; your hammers are more valuable to keep to yourself, but the gold is easy to get and can just be gifted in a lump sum on the last turn before the event ends when you know exactly how much you need

Diplomatic Favor can just be hoarded throughout the game from alliances and city state suzerain bonuses. Don't spend more than a few votes on other resolutions throughout the game. Be prepared to spend a lot of it once the Diplomatic Victory resolution comes up though; you'll probably have to overkill a bit to make sure the others won't downvote you. If you're about to win from the resolution then the other civs will likely vote against you with everything they got so then it will be difficult to get through, but as long as you can use that to get up to 8 or 9, you can easily get yourself over the line with the Future Era tech/civic that gives 1p each

PS: Note that Diplomatic Victory is actually easier on higher disaster levels since more Send Aid projects will occur throughout the game and thus giving you more opportunities to rack up the easy points you'll need for a timely finish

You don't need to worry about that. If that happens then all the favor you spent will be refunded since your resolution didn't pass, whereas all the other civs will pay all of their favor in full. Thus, by the next time the World Congress is in session, everyone else will be basically depleted in favor, making it all the more likely that you will get things your way this time instead. If you're lucky you can even just buy some favor from the AI prematurely for gold