[GS] Diplomatic Victory Strategies

I've noticed with the disaster intensity set so high, diplomatic victory has become the fastest way for me to win. I'm currently playing as a scientifically focused Phoenicia and I'm at 9/10 with only just having launched the Mars mission.

I suffered my first loss in GS as Mali because I couldn't match the diplo output of all the civs combined when it was time for world congress voting. After that failure I decided to try Hungary out, but this time I participated in the aid events early on "just in case". By the time voting for diplo victory had started I was sitting at around 5 points already and had a huge amount of diplomatic favour in storage, so I actually ended up bailing from my science run. Basically, unless you play a civ that got dedicated bonuses to diplomacy it feel like it's a bit up to chance whether or not you'll have a shot at a diplo win, because if there are no major disasters the world congress will end up being your only source for points. In my Hungary game, in contrast to the Mali one, volcanoes exploded left and right giving me a steady stream of events to participate in.

Last edited:
I've noticed with the disaster intensity set so high, diplomatic victory has become the fastest way for me to win. I'm currently playing as a scientifically focused Phoenicia and I'm at 9/10 with only just having launched the Mars mission.

Does the Ai ever win, or compete seriously for, the aid emergency diplo victory points?

Actually not accurate... it's on a leaf, so you can go to future tech without taking it !!! At least, as I remember it, because I'm pretty sure that I DID do that in my Diplo Canada victory
It may depend on how the future era techs are arranged, which is different each game. I'm almost certain it's not a leaf tech in my current game.

I think the only tactic you can use to get a diplomatic victory is to not get seasteads and the civic that gives a diplomatic point if possible. Then, when you get to 8 points, finish both those techs/civics and win the game. It's a good way to not get downvoted because it seems the so starts downplaying you around 8 points.

From what I've gathered, the AI rarely gets more than 300 points on an emergency. As I would if I could in real life, I throw money at the problem to win.

The only time see the AI as a major threat for diplomacy are World's Fair, International Games, etc., and Sweden's projects. There are times I simply cannot match their GP or stadium/aquatic center/athlete outputs.

Isn't there a repeatable finisher anymore? Didn't even check the end of the tech tree, was over before that. :D
There is, but if the seasteads tech is not a leaf tech, you have to get it first to get to the repeatable tech. The future era tech tree is random, so it will differ from game to game.

It may depend on how the future era techs are arranged, which is different each game. I'm almost certain it's not a leaf tech in my current game.

Oh... I guess I was VERY lucky then, cause the one game I played Canada for a DV, it WAS on a leaf... allowed me to wait it out... thx did not realize this changes every time...

There is, but if the seasteads tech is not a leaf tech, you have to get it first to get to the repeatable tech. The future era tech tree is random, so it will differ from game to game.

Duhh... (to myself). I forgot about the randomness of the FE. Seasteads was a leaf in the only game I reached that far yet..

I appreciate DV from the standpoint that I can play an extremely generalist game, equally focusing on science and culture, and not feel like I'm completely wasting my time by not focusing on a win condition. It's fun for games when I just want to take my time, build wonders, and make a pretty civ, at least.

Finally got my first diplo victory. Without tweaks, I don't think I'll ever play a game with only that victory in mind. I'll have to have other interesting things I want to do, especially in the late game.

Overall, I like the concept of a points-based victory, but it needs a little work - I outlined possibilities to speed it up in a previous post.

I managed to pull of a DV on my second GS game playing as Freleanor. I wasn’t pursuing any particular victory and just messing about with city flipping. Disaster rates were set to four and aid emergencies were frequent enough that I managed to win by turn 298. I wasn’t expecting the victory as I was oblivious to the seasteads point approaching. Not especially quick but it was fairly easy.

I'm thinking about trying this out next.... So what are all the diplomatic victory point earners?.. here is my understanding so far, correct what is wrong.
  • Liberating a city (100 DF)
  • Taking part in a successful hostile emergency (100DF)
  • Defending against a hostile emergency successfully (200 DF)
  • You gain 1 Diplomatic Favor per turn for each City-State for which you are Suzerain.
  • You earn 1 Diplomatic Favor per turn per level of your current government.
  • You earn 1 Diplomatic Favor per turn for each alliance level that you have.
  • Promise not to Spy/Settle/Dig artifacts/Convert cities (30 DF)
  • Top 25% donating to an emergency (100 DF)
  • Second 25% donating to an emergency (50 DF)
  • Condemning units of a chosen religion (25DF)
  • Top 25% in world games (50 DF)
  • Top 25% in International Space Station (50DF)
  • Top 25% in climate accord (100DF)
  • Second 25% in climate accord (50 DF)
  • Carbon Recapture city project grants 30DF every time it’s competed
  • Also wonder/civ/card values specified below
Diplomatic Victory Points (DipVP)
To win the game you need 10 DipVP
Winning a Diplomatic Victory Vote (DipVV) (from modern) +2 DipVP
Highest Aid support for a disaster +1 DipVP
Losing a DVV -1 DipVP
Note: When you get to 8 DVP everyone will vote against you.
The Global Warming Mitigation civic also awards 1 DipVP
Winning the Climate Accords competition 1 DipVP
Seasteads +1 DipVP
Statue of Liberty +1 DipVP

Cards
Rabblerousing (Information Warfare) When you reduce a player's Diplomatic Victory points you get 50% of the DF used. Also +1 DF per turn.
Future Dogma (end of civic tree repeatable) +50 Diplomatic Favor points
Diplomatic Capital (Smart Power Doctrine) +4 DF per turn

CIVS
America - 1DF per turn for each wildcard slot you have
Canada - double points for emergencies and competitions, +1 DF/per turn for each 100 tourism.
Sweden - 50 DF for each GP earned

Wonders
Országház - Doubles CS DF earned

Resolution era requirements
DIPLOVICTORY - Not before modern era
LUXURY
TRADE_TREATY
WORLD_RELIGION - Not After Industrial era
POWER_RESOURCE - Not before the atomic era
ARMS_CONTROL - Not before atomic
MERCENARY_COMPANIES
HERITAGE_ORG - Not before modern era
POLICY_TREATY
LOYAL_CITIZENS - Not before Modern
WORLD_IDEOLOGY - Note before the modern era
URBAN_DEVELOPMENT - Not after the modern era
BORDER_CONTROL - Not after the modern era
PUBLIC_WORKS - Atomic to information eras
PATRONAGE - Not after the modern era
GLOBAL_ENERGY_TREATY - Note before the modern era
SOVEREIGNTY - Not after the modern era
MIGRATION_TREATY - Not before the Industrial era
DEFORESTATION_TREATY - Atomic to information eras
CLIMATE_ACCORDS - after atomic

Emergencies
Alliances
All have a duration of 30 and a lockout time of 60 apart from SEND_AID which has a lockout time of 30.
NOBEL_PRIZE_LITERATURE (Sweden in game)
NOBEL_PRIZE_PEACE (Sweden in game)
NOBEL_PRIZE_PHYSICS (Sweden in game)
SEND_AID - Target needs to have lost population
WORLDS_FAIR
SPACE_STATION
CLIMATE_ACCORDS
WORLD_GAMES

Hostile
MILITARY
SETTLED_CITY
CAPTURE_CITY_STATE
RELIGIOUS
NUCLEAR
BACKSTAB

I have been on the brink of dipo victory but has been consistently downvoted to take my points away. How do you deal with this?

Destroy all the civs but one
Keep voting as your votes are refunded each time, eventually you should get it.
You do not have enough votes
Use other means to get votes

We also have to consider you may not be getting enough votes, therefore fail to get that victory.
Reading all the tips through this thread should be enough, basically when they are all ganging up for the last votes you either need to have loads more or use another way

Top Bottom