Diplomatic Victory too easy

It can be easy if you are playing on a lower difficulty and you know the mechanics of how the system works. My first few games in BNW, the AI was able to pass all kinds of crippling embargos and stuff in the WC and I couldn't stop them. Since then, I've gotten much better at using the WC and going for a diplo victory and it can be really easy. But still, that really depends on the difficulty level because holding onto the CS's needed to play the WC effectively and get a diplo victory is very hard to do on higher levels.

i loaded that up and it definitely didnt look or feel like an Immortal game, more like Emperor except for the turn count. i know they wanted to encourage more late-game play but seeing a ~t350 immortal game is still weird to me. maybe 1 in 10 immortal games pre-BNW went to t300 for me.

I agree. In that game, none of the AI seemed interested in doing anything besides fighting each other, though they all left me alone. I've had a similar feeling in most of my BNW games. Everything seems a difficulty or two easier. I remember I once had an emperor-level game on GnK where Hiawatha won a space victory on turn 295ish. There's no way I could ever see that happening now. On diety in BNW, I've yet to be threatened by an AI finishing a spaceship before turn 300. Maybe I'm just lucky as I haven't had to deal with Korea, Babylon or a random tech superpower yet (everyone loves arts funding). But even if you do fall behind in tech, the AI will open up the diplo vote for you, which is usually easy enough to exploit. Basically reiterating the whole point of this thread.

It may just be my playing style - but no matter what victory type I go for, I always seem to be able to win a Diplomatic Victory earlier. Space takes too long, Culture usually as well (especially if another Civ goes heavy on culture) - domination maybe different, but I never go that route.

I just won on King with Portugal (ok, it`s easy to get lots of money with them) easily - I should`ve won a science victory (were 5 techs ahead of everybody else and had already build a couple of spaceship parts), but it was just too convinient to pick up the city states.

Now it seems as the only way not to win it diplomatically, is to just ignore it (only pick up a couple so no other civ wins it and for the bonuses)... I would like to see that nerfed a bit (as well as some more options for tourism...).

I overcame a 1500pt handicap with a diplo victory on Emperor. Iroquois got to run away status and the only option left was diplo, so I bought up all the CS and won. Most of the AI were sitting on 5000-10000 gold as well and they never even tried to take a CS I was just barely allies with. It really blows.

Agree diplo is too easy. Just won a deity OCC as France going for cultural, but ended up being able to clearly win the first WL vote on turn 260-ish (standard speed) without much effort.

At the time the cultural victory was still 50+ turns away or more...

Top Bottom