Diplomatic victory - undeserved?

ackoman

Chieftain
Hello,

I've been going for a Diplomatic Victory in only my second game since getting Gathering Storm.

I've just been awarded the victory after a vote at the World Congress, but don't see how I could possibly have won.

I was on 18 diplomatic points, having just received one point for winning the Training competition (can't remember exactly what it is called).

I saved my game literally on the same turn as the vote at the congress. The voting options were

Deforestation Treaty - I voted 1 thumb up, for Woods.
Global energy Treaty - I voted 1 thumb up, for Coal
Diplomatic Victory - I voted 7 thumbs up, for myself.

I then got taken to the Diplomatic Victory screen, which I wasn't expecting, as I was convinced that everyone would vote against me on the diplomatic victory one.

I clicked the "just one more turn" option so that I could see the result of the votes, and it shows that I was successful with my first two votes (Woods and Coal, both by 4 to 1) and that I lost the victory vote by 7 votes to 19.

Returning to the game showed me as having dropped by 1 vote overall, and I've now got 17 diplomatic points.

If I reload the saved game, and choose another option for the first two votes (e.g. choose marsh instead of woods, and oil instead of coal), then I don't get the victory screen and instead just lose 2 victory points.

So, how did I win the game when I chose Woods and Coal? Did I get a point each for winning those first two votes, and trigger the victory before the last vote was even put to the test?

Thanks,

jra505

Last edited:
Well, they are separate propositions being voted on. Why shouldn’t they be assessed separately?

Well, they are separate propositions being voted on. Why shouldn’t they be assessed separately?

Because if they had been in a different order then I wouldn't have won - seems a bit arbitrary

Wait. I must've missed this on the update. You get victory points for winning on other voting cards?

Wait. I must've missed this on the update. You get victory points for winning on other voting cards?

You receive a diplomatic victory point every time you vote for the winning resolution.

iirc you can even vote against yourself for the Diplomatic Victory resolution to reduce the damage.

You receive a diplomatic victory point every time you vote for the winning resolution.

iirc you can even vote against yourself for the Diplomatic Victory resolution to reduce the damage.

Oh awesome. Thanks. That makes things a bit easier rather then brute forcing the almost guaranteed reality of every civ out thumbing the victory point card against you.

If you do this with 19 victory points you'll win the game. It gives you the +1 before it takes away 3.

It does seem a bit odd to work this way - I would have expected all the votes to be tallied before checking if someone won.

But, hey, I'll keep this in mind for my next diplo attempt, thanks for highlighting it!

If you do this with 19 victory points you'll win the game. It gives you the +1 before it takes away 3.

That really does some seem quite daft to me - is that really how the devs intend it to work?

Top Bottom