[GS] Diplomatic Victory woes

Francel

Madam Secretary
I've been playing my first game of Gathering Storm. I normally play on at least immortal, but I figured I'd give myself an easy game just to see the new stuff (prince). Okay, my civilization is utterly dominant and I could have won the other victory types. The diplomatic victory points finally came up for a vote in the world congress. I'm already at 19/20 points and I have approximately 2000 diplomatic favor. I put all my favor into awarding myself the points, and I thought I would win.

Next turn I see that every other podunk civ in the game banded together and managed to vote me down.

It's frustrating because now I have to wait 30 more turns to even get a shot at more DV (I already had all the DV from techs and wonders).

So here is the question. How do I outmuscle the other civs in World Congress? Thanks!

They always all vote against you when you have 18 or 19 points.

So vote against yourself. The game awards the DVPs for winning the vote and then calculates whether anyone has won prior to removing any from the civ targeted for DVP removal.

I find a fortunately-timed emergency event always helps open the door, too. There's nothing I love more than watching the AI spend all of their points on some silly military emergency halfway across the world.

Diplomatic Victory is something that still doesn't quite work right, IMO. As a result I never pursue it from the outset... it's usually just my fallback plan.

In addition, if you aren't already make sure you have as many carbon recapture projects as possible as they generate diplomatic favour.

If there are any city states you aren't suzerain of you can drop a spy with a fabricate scandal promotion to wipe out all the other envoys.

In the end you either brute force it or vote strategically to avoid losing points. And hope for an emergency to come your way.

As in real life, diplomacy is all about false modesty and hypocrisy. Voting yourself down is a surefire way to get you to mitigate loss, or as Eagle Pursuit said, in your situation just grant you the win due to the way the game calculates point allocation.

if nothing has changed last update, common resolutions are counted before diplomatic leader voting. So if you are at 19/20 put all your diplo points into any standard resolution. You will for sure win those voting, because all AI will spend their ponts in diplomatic leader resolution/ So youwill reach 20/20 first, and -3 will go later. But this little moment of 20/20 will grant you diplomatic victory.

Smilarly
If you are 16/20, vote in common resolutions and give 1 vote against yourself in diplomatic leader. You will be total 0 change, but AIs will lose all their favours, making next voting the winning one.

In my games deciding factor of diplomatic win is aid request. Use votes for keeping status quo and earn last points via aid request/competition.

Top Bottom